Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Vasiliy Lomachenko really an "All-Time Great"????

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Vasiliy Lomachenko really an "All-Time Great"????

He has indicated that retirement is not far off for him he's made enough to live out his life in comfort, and desires to remain health for most of that span of time.

He reaps great praise for his considerable success in the ring, with many calling him an all-time great.

I wouldn't dream of trying to diminish his standing. Hes earned the applause of the industry.
    But as an historian, I am aware of the real neaning of ATG.
    And so I have to ask:

Pro:
    With an incredible 396-1 amateur record and 2 Olympic golds and 2 world championships, he is one of the best amateurs ever.

As a pro, he's gained world titles in 3 weight classes and unified some.
    He is a fantastic fighter.

Con:
    He's 17-3-0 with just 11 stoppage wins.
    Hardly the typical hall of fame numbers we expect.

If Vasiliy Lomachenko is truly a great for all the ages, what separates him and his body of work at 126 - 135 from his contemporaries, like Teofimo Lopez, Oscar Valdez, Gervonta Davis, Ryan Garcia, Naoya Inoue, Sandor Martin, Devin Haney, Subriel Matias, Isaac Cruz, Gary Russell Jr, Shakur Stevenson, Leo Santa Cruz, Javier Fortuna, Takashi Uchiyama, Francisco Vargas, Yuriorkis Gamboa, Lamont Roach, Jorge Linares, Jhonny Gonzalez, Nonito Donaire, Josh Warrington, Omar Figueroa, George Kambosos Jr, Miguel Berchelt, Etc.

Is Lomachenko discernibly BETTER than all of those? Most of those? Or only about half?

Lomachenko's work has been more than commendable, but this can be said of many in the 126 to 135 bracket during the past decade too.

Does he REALLY stand out as trancending his competitors to rise to an authentic all-time great?

Yes, he is.

Comment

I think his style is ATG worthy. I'm not sure I've seen a similar fighter with that style. In his prime, he was mesmerizing to watch.
      MulaKO MulaKO Mike D Mike D like this.

Comment

Yes, there is an argument to be had he's an ATG of the lil guys.

His achievement as far as winning a title in his 3rd fight is what 1 of 2 in history and if they didn't let Salido bust his balls all night and DQ'd him which they should've, he'd be 1 of 1.

He's arguably the best if not the best amatuer of all time, he's consistently fought top opposition even his "tunes up" are better opposition than some of his contemporaries are willing to face and i'm sure if he wanted to fill his resume with cream puffs i'm sure he could of to have an allegedly more meaningful number on his record...

Comment

Excellent pro fighter with All time great skills that should be a first ballot hall of famer as he beat multiple former/current champions on their prime. He would make it competitive against any ATG in his division.

But as far as resumes goes, I say it is unlikely even if he fought elite competition since the beginning. The best thing of his wins as they are consistent, over good champions, but not necessarily all are great fighters outside of Russell and Linares. As Rigondeux was from two divisions below. Loma win over Nicholas Walters was pretty good as he had knocked out Nonito Donaire, but Nonito ain't no featherweight, less a super featherweight.

Lomachenko definitely should had gotten the decision over Haney, but even with a very good performance, not sure if it is enough to count as a ATG.

Extensive amateur record with wins over well known pros and two Olympic Gold medals can't applied in his career as a pro even if they are impressive in their own right.

Comment

Out of all the fighters listed I would say only Inoue and Donaire have a better body of work. Is he an ATG? No
            Last edited by charliepaerker; 05-09-2024, 05:57 PM.

Comment

HOF yes…. ATG no. I’m a Loma fan and I’ve always supported him. It’s hard to view him among the best in history. But he has some damn good achievements and was avoided by everyone early on. Especially Tank and his team.

Comment

Lomachenko vs legitimate world title winning fighters:
                L vs Orlando Salido SD 12
                W vs Gary Russell Jr MD 12
                W vs Roman "Rocky" Martinez KO 5
                W vs Nicholas Walters RTD 7
                W vs Guillermo Rigondeaux RTD 6
                W vs Jorge Linares TKO 10
                W vs Jose Pedraza UD 12
                W vs Anthony Crolla KO 4
                L vs Teofimo Lopez UD 12
                W vs Richard Commey UD 12
                L vs Devin Haney UD 12 (a lot of people had this a Loma win or draw, to be fair)

Other notable opponents: Jason Sosa (WBA secondary titlist), Luke Campbell (2X world title challenger and Olympic Gold Medalist), Jamaine Ortiz, Masayoshi Nakatani

Titles won
                126: WBO
                130: WBO
                135: Ring ****zine, WBA, WBC, WBO

Hall of Famer? Absolutely.

All time great? I don't think he has the material accomplishments. He held the Ring belt at 135 but not everyone agreed with it being a lineal championship due to Mikey Garcia's ranking at the time he won it; the TBRB didn't award their championship until the Lopez vs Lomachenko fight.

He's a 3 division world titlist and a unified, Ring ****zine lightweight world champion. But no lineal championships is a pretty big hole on the resume. He's had some good wins and no bad losses, but only 20 pro fights total.

I know he's one of the greatest amateurs who ever lived and that's great, but I'd value a longer pro career more than that 2nd Olympic Gold.
                Last edited by famicommander; 05-09-2024, 06:52 PM.

Comment

If he unifies 135 beats george and shakur then yes.

Comment

I'm a Loma fan, but no, he is not. He's a victim of his own success. He became too enchanted with his own skills, and failed to handle business in the ring to secure the win on a couple of occasions.

He didn't make sure he had a rematch clause against Teo, because he was ****y. He let Teo have a 6 round head start.... Because he was ****y. Didn't secure round 12.....because he was ****y.

Didn't grind quite hard enough against Haney.

Wasn't quite active enough.
                    Light_Speed Light_Speed likes this.

Comment

Working...
                    X