Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bill Haney Missing in Action. Father-Son boxer/trainer duos don't work

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think history says otherwise. Several fighters have been taken to the top training with their fathers. Losing a few fights at the top level isn't enough evidence to say they don't work.

Comment

Originally posted by Pac=Duran View Post
      I think it has worked once with Felix Trinidad and is father. Almost every other time its messed up and the Father is just obviously just living vicariously through his son.

It's always a bad decision.
      Haney lost for the first time last night. He’s been successful his whole professional career. Teo’s another success story. Loma is to. So I think you’re reaching or not paying attention.

Comment

Lol yall so extreme. Devin & Bill made it to #1 at 135 & #2 at 140 & now they lost a fight so all that success just disappeared? Thats a trash ass take on a 25yr old overachiever already.

Ppl were crucifying & he ain't sh^t-ing on Nery for coming in over & KOing a guy he already KO'd but somehow in this situation Ryan not coming in on weight doesn't play into anything & its just the Haney's who ain't sh^t.

Make it make sense lol.

Maybe...just maybe...Ryan was better on the night & no one is trash at fighting or as trainers.

Comment

Originally posted by SilverMiles View Post
          I think history says otherwise. Several fighters have been taken to the top training with their fathers. Losing a few fights at the top level isn't enough evidence to say they don't work.
          First off I think ppl overhype the impact a trainer has on a boxers success. A great trainer can only improve a avg fighter so much & a great fighter can't be held back too much by an avg trainer. So I think its discounted how much trust in your trainer matters & how simple it is for anyone who gaf about you, like a father, to learn enough about boxing to get you to a high level. And the Haney's were working closely with a lot of trainers as Devin was learning the game & I'm sure Bill learned a lot in that time too.
          real raw real raw likes this.

Comment

I think it can work, but there are more bad examples than good. I think it's best for the amateurs as no trainer is going to show as much attention to a young, nobody, broke, fighter than his father. But they should switch to a real trainer once they turn pro. Jose Benavidez sorta did this when he went pro and trained with Freddie Roach. Unfortunately, Roach couldn't give him enough attention.

In fact, Bill was looking to find another trainer for Devin years back, but Devin wanted his dad to stay on.

Comment

You can't say Haney is not a success because of his father. I'm not making a personal judgment here although as a father with two boys I have some empathy.

Where I fall down here and scratch my head regarding Bill Haney, is I would never tell another kid if he dies he dies, or some of the other nasty things Bill Haney has said to opponents.

They're all young guys. You're a father. You really can be supportive without compromising taking care of your own. You can even be a little bit promotion oriented to sell the fight and say some things.

But here's the thing about Bill Haney, he actually coaches and provides technical information to his son. That's what a coach should be doing. Yeah you get guys who can provide emotional support, that's a great thing like Derek James I suppose, but you also need a guy who can tell you things like roll to the side when the jab comes, duck under the hook, etc etc. Bill Haney does that for Devin.
              real raw real raw likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by Lance98 View Post

Many fighters, trainers, dads and even mums have behaved shamefully, have said outlandish things and even got into fights, so why is this something new?
                It is not new, it is just the latest, and that thing he told garcia's mom was shameful

Comment

CROWN HIM

with the dunces cap that is
                  billeau2 billeau2 likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
                    Lol yall so extreme. Devin & Bill made it to #1 at 135 & #2 at 140 & now they lost a fight so all that success just disappeared? Thats a trash ass take on a 25yr old overachiever already.

Ppl were crucifying & he ain't sh^t-ing on Nery for coming in over & KOing a guy he already KO'd but somehow in this situation Ryan not coming in on weight doesn't play into anything & its just the Haney's who ain't sh^t.

Make it make sense lol.

Maybe...just maybe...Ryan was better on the night & no one is trash at fighting or as trainers.
                    It's not like fans are known for being even-keeled, especially right after a fight where adrenaline and emotions are running high. It's a combination of people who hate Haney's style, and others who were hoping for him to suffer some comeuppance for the Loma decision. As I said after the Loma fight, all a boxer needs to do is fight the best, show progress and stay active. That boxer will eventually be forgiven for whatever sin (real or perceived) they may have committed.

Comment

Lost one fight....now it doesn't work..... God I hate boxing fans

Comment

Working...
                      X