Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How good is Floyd Mayweather's resume as a ATG?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We need a barometer
    A contemporary to compare it to.
    billeau2 billeau2 likes this.

Comment

Outstanding resume, sure you can make an excuse for this guy or that guy, but the number of champions Floyd beat without ever having an off night and taking an L is really remarkable.

The guy was a special, special fighter, I give him a lot of credit and I say this as a guy who wasn't overly a fan of his.

Comment

Originally posted by hugh grant View Post

Floyd should have used jkd, be like water analogy. If people were putting barriers to floyd being great, floyd should have found away around obstacles, find other avenues to become great, don't make excuses.
        Fight GGG, rematch Nell at 160, don't duck thurman, bradley, brook, bud, spence etc and have a policy of fighting toughest opponent at all times if possible. Best someone your not supposed to.

Floyd's behind pac and RJJ and hopkins
        Boxing politics aren't excuses. What can Benavidez do right now to get the Canelo fight? Exactly.

Why would Floyd move to 160 at all? Floyd has never weighed in heavier than 151lbs. The rest, I don’t even know what to say. It shows a real misunderstanding of the sport, weight divisions and earning your spot.

Comment

These threads come up again and again... I try to challenge myself to reevaluate my past responses. I find I like to compare Jones to mayweather. Statistically Floyd had dominant stats but Jones dominated opponents much more regularly. Jones fought better comp IMO, but Mayweather held the last years of his career together unlike Jones.

Saying Jones did not fight certain European fighters, and Mayweather did not fight Margarito are also equally ridiculous statements. No across the pond talent was going to beat Jones at his best... Margarito could have certainly bruised up Floyd and made him hate life for a day, but would not have been a threat to beat him...

So make of that what one will... The most naturally gifted fighter of my generation was probably one of these two... No they did not have the great attitude that Lennox lewis did about seeking out the best at all times, Pac man also deserves credit for fighting some of the best in the lower classes. And pac was also great, as was Ward, but in terms of natural talent? Floyd at 130 or so, Jones at Middle and above were probably in a class by themselves.

Ward had technical chops that were similar and Pac had footspeed off the dominant fighting line... but Jones was a natural phenomena, like Locke! lol. And Floyd had instincts that imo eclipsed Ward.

When we can look at Canelo's career as a whole, and some of the other fighters that are retiring soon it may well be time to once again ask this question.

Comment

Originally posted by BodyBagz View Post
            We need a barometer
            A contemporary to compare it to.
            Loma has that natural talent, perhaps Uysk. Haney may well come to fruition in a similar fashion as he gets stronger and is showing great instincts. Tank? I don't think so personally. I think Cruz beat him as a pressure fighter of great accord! If Cruz can keep moving his head he could IMO be special for entirely different reasons... Think like Armstrong, Marciano, lamotta. But Cruz is starting to move his head less and if this continues he will get nailed if he fights haney.

Comment

Originally posted by The Big Dunn View Post

The Class of 2024 includes Ricky “The Hitman” Hatton, Michael “Double M” Moorer, Iván “Iron Boy” Calderón and Diego “Chico” Corrales (posthumous) in the Men's Modern category.

If you don’t think they are deserving, ok.
              Its a moot point when considering the HOF... Gatti is in there. So is Rocky lol. Floyd was able to beat Canelo and Canelo has possible ATG status, that probably will mean a lot more.

Comment

Originally posted by billeau2 View Post

Loma has that natural talent, perhaps Uysk. Haney may well come to fruition in a similar fashion as he gets stronger and is showing great instincts. Tank? I don't think so personally. I think Cruz beat him as a pressure fighter of great accord! If Cruz can keep moving his head he could IMO be special for entirely different reasons... Think like Armstrong, Marciano, lamotta. But Cruz is starting to move his head less and if this continues he will get nailed if he fights haney.
                Not so much style wise but resume/legacy wise....

Comment

Originally posted by Feroz View Post
                  He has 26 consecutive wins in world title fights (10 by KO), over 21 champions. It's also not an easy thing to climb up 5 divisions and remain undefeated.

But is his career manufactured to a degree by great management? Obviously after he retired most new fans of the sport have a difficulty understanding what fighters he faced were at their best when he fought them, mostly reading/hearing he beat the likes of Pacquiao and Alvarez at the end of his career

What were his best wins over prime competition overall?

He is an incredible fighter with a pretty average resume tbh.

People don't really remember his classic fights or acconplishments thesedays because there are very few of those.

He swerved Manny until Pac had a **** tonne of wear and tear, he didn't fight Martinez when he def should have, he didn't fight Margarito or Paul Williams, he weight drained Canelo HARD. These are just a few of the blackmarks that a real Great wouldn't have on his record.

He is incredible but his career was staged managed.
                  RGJTMMRDCMJRJSM RuleOfTheSpear likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by Pac=Duran View Post

People don't really remember his classic fights or acconplishments thesedays because there are very few of those.

He swerved Manny until Pac had a **** tonne of wear and tear, he didn't fight Martinez when he def should have, he didn't fight Margarito or Paul Williams, he weight drained Canelo HARD. These are just a few of the blackmarks that a real Great wouldn't have on his record.

If winning 10+ world titles across 5 weight classes, 4 of those weight classes Lineal Champion. Beating #1 ranked fighters in every weight class he fought at multiple times. Beating over 15 Top 3 ranked guys and 7 Top 10 P4P ranked guys is "average" to you then I would really love to know what isn't.

Comment

Originally posted by Pac=Duran View Post

He has a better resume than Manny and not as managed as what Mannys is although not far behind in that regard so I don't know how arrive you arrive at that, but your name gives a good clue.

Comment

Working...
                      X