Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Gervonta Davis Now Sole Recognized WBA Lightweight Titlist; Haney Removed As 'Super' Champ

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post

If he was the next AB he'd have fallen off already. Tank is damn near 30. AB is only 5yrs old than Tank & has been washed for a decade.
    Broner actually took some risks in his career. He fought Parker, Maidana, pacquiao.

Broner had no real business fighting higher than 140, but he faced killers at 147.

Tank is not even fighting top competition at 135.
    Last edited by JakeTheBoxer; 01-03-2024, 03:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JakeTheBoxer View Post

Broner actually took some risks in his career. He fought Parker, Maidana, pacquiao.

Broner had no real business fighting higher than 140, but he faced killers at 147.

Tank is not even fighting top competition at 135.
      TBRB's latest rankings gots Pitbull #6 at 135, Barrios is #4 at 147 & Hector Garcia is #9 at 130. I'm sure plenty of other guys he fought were indie top ten guys when he fought them, but I don't wanna go look up all that sh^t.

Tank's resume is better than AB's. Idk that AB beat Pitbull, Barrios or Garcia level guys. Paulie was one of AB's best W's ffs.

Comment

Originally posted by daggum View Post

its easy to keep winning when you only fight bums, teeny tiny men, and drained opponents. broners competition was better than tanks and he fought way above where he should have. bad combo.
        Agree to disagree.

The weight stuff is fair to dog, but to me if you agree to weight sh^t thats on the boxer.

Comment

TBRB's latest rankings gots Pitbull #6 at 135, Barrios is #4 at 147 & Hector Garcia is #9 at 130. I'm sure plenty of other guys he fought were indie top ten guys when he fought them, but I don't wanna go look up all that sh^t.

Tank's resume is better than AB's. Idk that AB beat Pitbull, Barrios or Garcia level guys. Paulie was one of AB's best W's ffs.
          Not one of Davis' opponents was ranked in the top 5 of the division he fought them in at the time of the fight. His best opponents were #6 Isaac Cruz and #7 Jose Pedraza.

Adrien Broner beat Antonio DeMarco when DeMarco was ranked #1.

Comment

Originally posted by famicommander View Post

Broner actually fought way, way better competition than Tank though.
            He cashed out vs better guys, but Tank has beaten better guys. AB's resume was always overrated esp if you go look at how ppl talked about him back in the day.

3 of the guys Tank has beat are top ten right now. I get expectations matter & when you are of the talent of Tank its expected that you fight other tip top guys, but those are the only types who are a threat to Tank losing meanwhile AB lost to guys ranked similar or lower to guys Tank has beaten & an old legend in Manny. So Tank fighting Loma (another old legend) is the only thing Tank hasn't done that AB did & come out better on. And I like Tank beating Loma more than I ever liked AB beating Manny. They are friends, but not alike in their careers at all.

Comment

He cashed out vs better guys, but Tank has beaten better guys. AB's resume was always overrated esp if you go look at how ppl talked about him back in the day.

3 of the guys Tank has beat are top ten right now. I get expectations matter & when you are of the talent of Tank its expected that you fight other tip top guys, but those are the only types who are a threat to Tank losing meanwhile AB lost to guys ranked similar or lower to guys Tank has beaten & an old legend in Manny. So Tank fighting Loma (another old legend) is the only thing Tank hasn't done that AB did & come out better on. And I like Tank beating Loma more than I ever liked AB beating Manny. They are friends, but not alike in their careers at all.
              DeMarco was #1 and a reigning WBC world titlist titlist when Broner beat him. Gavin Rees was a former titlist ranked #8, Paulie Malinaggi was a reigning titlist ranked #10, Daniel Ponce de Leon was a former world titlist on a winning streak (the fight took place before the TBRB existed and I'm too lazy to look up old Ring Magazine rankings). He fought all four of those guys inside a 2 year span and it's already more impressive than Tank's whole career.

Broner also won full world titles in 4 weight classes. Davis has so far done it in 2.

Comment

Originally posted by deathofaclown View Post

Teo is excellent when he's on his game

He fought stupid v Kambosos. Kambosos is very good if you fight aggressively vs him because he excels in fast combinations when you come over your front foot.

I think I was pretty much the only person on this forum that said Kambosos was a bad style for Lopez before the fight, especially if Lopez thinks he can walk through him and it turned out to be true.

Kambosos is very good in that situation, he's just not very good when fighters don't commit to much and he has to initiate things. The patient version of Teo would beat him.

the Teo that has his head right and a real game plan is seriously good.​​​
                100%...boxer-puncher Teo i.e. Lomachenko + Taylor fights is a very dominant fighter and very difficult to beat. However, when he fights with his heart instead of his head and looks for the knockout he's fair game. Anyhow, it seems as though Teofimo and his father have finally realised that the key to his success is to be patient and outbox his opponent before hunting them down in the later rounds. Therefore, it'll be interesting to see if he continues with this approach going forward.

Comment

Originally posted by BigBobArum View Post

100%...boxer-puncher Teo i.e. Lomachenko + Taylor fights is a very dominant fighter and very difficult to beat. However, when he fights with his heart instead of his head and looks for the knockout he's fair game. Anyhow, it seems as though Teofimo and his father have finally realised that the key to his success is to be patient and outbox his opponent before hunting them down in the later rounds. Therefore, it'll be interesting to see if he continues with this approach going forward.
                  That analysis is…concerning.

It’s like people forgot that Teo got dropped and damn near lost against the Pinnacle of Patience, Sandor Martin, and from my lens dropped minimum 6 rounds against a tentative Lomachenko.

The simple fact is, Teo struggles with guys who can time him. Has nothing to do with heart or anything. If he fought Catterall, you’d see him drop minimum 5 rounds.

Comment

Originally posted by Combat Talk Radio View Post

It’s like people forgot that Teo got dropped and damn near lost against the Pinnacle of Patience, Sandor Martin, and from my lens dropped minimum 6 rounds against a tentative Lomachenko.

The simple fact is, Teo struggles with guys who can time him. Has nothing to do with heart or anything. If he fought Catterall, you’d see him drop minimum 5 rounds.
                    Disagree...Teofimo was clearly head-hunting during the Martin & Kambosos fights which is why he suffered flash knockdowns in both bouts as the fighter's timed him perfectly. However, he seemed to be much more patient during the Lomachenko & Taylor fights and wasn't throwing as frequently and became more of a counterpuncher which suits him perfectly. Therefore, I think he'll stick to this strategy going forward and even his Dad said as much before the Taylor fight...

We gonna box the **** out of this dude, bro,” Lopez Sr. said. “This guy thinks we’re coming over here to kill him? We’re gonna box him, bro. You’re gonna see the most beautiful f------ boxing, f------ ****, you’ve ever seen, bro."

Bill Haney pointed out that if Lopez fights like he did in the amateurs, as a crafty boxer who went by the moniker “Gordo”, that Lopez should beat Taylor. Lopez Sr. said he made a mistake in the past few fights by trying to convert his son’s style.

“He’s back,” Lopez Sr. said, referring to his son’s longtime boxing identity. “He never left. I was f------ up. I was f------ up, bro. I was pressuring him to go in and be hard but I forgot my son is the best when he boxes. You’re gonna see the best boxer in the world tomorrow. You guys gonna see it.

“You guys coming to see it. We ain’t coming to kill this guy. We gonna f------ break him down little by little and take him out. It’s gonna be a f------ boxing exhibition that you guys have never seen in your life.”

https://www.boxingscene.com/teofimo-...-boxes--175293

Comment

Originally posted by Combat Talk Radio View Post

He sure looked like he was head hunting and chasing the KO. That's rarely a good strategy. Basically what Edgar Berlanga does. Once he got out of his ego and started boxing again, he's been much more consistent. Guy lets outside stuff into the ring though. There's no way he dropped that many rounds against Loma either. I didn't think much of his win v Loma, but Loma gave away 7 rounds. I've rewatched that fight a bunch. There's no way Loma won that one, even though he might have stopped Lopez if he'd fought the way he did 8-12 starting Rd 1. Loma has a bad habit of starting too slowly.

Comment

Working...
                      X