Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How much can Boxing Sparring help you defend yourself ?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The Devil Knows Boxing View Post

Let us know how that sparring goes, biscuit chest.

funny cus i coach wrestling at an MMA gym.

Comment

Originally posted by Dakuwaqa View Post

Absolutely not

For self defence boxing is the way to go as there is a extremely quick learning curve. Literally 6 months of training and sparring makes you significantly better prepared.

You wouldn’t want to rely on BJJ until your at least purple belt imo. That’s 4-5 years.

Even then I wouldn’t recommend it.

Wrestling would be a much better option.

I trained BJJ at Gracie Barra gym in Oval, SE London as well as Carpe Diem BJJ in borough/
      A proper blue belt would wreck 99% of untrained street fighters. Boxing Sparring isn't going to help a guy like this. He's going to get 20 rounds under his belt and start thinking he needs to go register his hands at the sheriff station. Another misconception is people thinking heavybags build their punching power. Mitt work is what gives you effective punching power and half a chance of landing something in a street fight.

Comment

Originally posted by Dakuwaqa View Post
        Wrestling would be a much better option.
        I think judo is probably the best grappling art for the street. Lots of quick explosive sweeps that send the other guy to the concrete hard without you having to go down there with them or commit yourself too much.
        charliepaerker charliepaerker likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by The Devil Knows Boxing View Post

A proper blue belt would wreck 99% of untrained street fighters. Boxing Sparring isn't going to help a guy like this. He's going to get 20 rounds under his belt and start thinking he needs to go register his hands at the sheriff station. Another misconception is people thinking heavybags build their punching power. Mitt work is what gives you effective punching power and half a chance of landing something in a street fight.
          If you recommend a blue belt trying to take a random down and submit them you're a complete moron.

I’m a former BJJ practitioner. It isn’t a great martial art for self defence.

You’re better off with boxing/Muay Thai and wrestling.

BJJ is way too complicated to have a good chance of success unless you’ve been doing it for years.

Strikes complete negate BJJs effectiveness.

Also the ground is the worst place you wanna be in a street fight.

Learn to be able to throw quick punches, move your feet and run.

Rolling around on the pavement gtfoh
          Last edited by Dakuwaqa; 10-04-2022, 10:59 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by TMLT87 View Post

I think judo is probably the best grappling art for the street. Lots of quick explosive sweeps that send the other guy to the concrete hard without you having to go down there with them or commit yourself too much.
            Yeah judo is great for self-defence I completely agree.

You don't want to make things complicated. Knowing even a few simple Judo takedowns would be extremely beneficial.

Comment

Most street fight videos I've seen, nobody can do much but flail away with a lot of windmill arm punches. I'm thinking if you should ever find yourself in a similar situation, a nice straight punch down the middle might bring the festivities to an end.

Not suggesting that boxing is going to win a street fight with a trained MMA fighter, just that most fights are not with trained fighters. In the land of the blind....

Comment

Most street fights end in seconds before one person is knackered.

Learn to defend yourself and you'll be fine.

Comment

I must keep missing these mythical high-grade street fights. Every one I have ever seen both guys make Charlie Zelenoff look like the greatest all-combat fighter to have ever walked the earth. If you can throw a well timed slap, you will win 99% of street fights where no weapons are involved. Just always two idiots walking in straight lines, aimlessly throwing right left right left right left until they are blowing out of their arses. Cash in

Comment

Id say its good to learns something than nothing so with boxing if it gives you confidence thats good. But hands are fragile.
                    charliepaerker charliepaerker likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by WillieWild114 View Post
                      If a average guy sparrs on a weekly basis how well would he be able to defend himself in a street fight ?
                      Would be better than most. You get used to see punches coming and your distance adjusts. You learn to keep your eyes open and that is better to always be in an angle.

One thing is that when you punch someone your hand can break or get hurt. Most guys have like 30 seconds of fight in them and then it is a wrestling match. Better learn some other technics also.
                      MeanestNiceGuy MeanestNiceGuy likes this.

Comment

Working...
                      X