Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Zurdo Ramirez Rehydrates 30 Pounds, Fights As A Heavyweight—Is That Cheating?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It’s bonkers he’d come into the ring with a 20lb weight advantage if he fought Bivol.

That could definitely neutralise Bivols significant skill advantage.

I dunno. Maybe do what the IBF does for title fights and have same day weigh ins with a 10lb max increase?

30lb seems a little extreme

Comment

Is it right? Hell no. But if he can do it, then its legal.

Why I think same day weigh ins should be reinstated

Comment

How can someone make 30lbs in a day? It is a bit impossible to do so.

Comment

As long as he is cutting weight without any help of Diuretics/Laxatives then it is fair. I can only imagine how hard you'd have to work to cut so much weight, it will catch up with him later in his career if he continues to do that.

I was watching that Content Creator boxing event and had a little laugh at the fights going on, but one of the fights between two girls the winner of it said she was taking laxatives. That would be a case of unfairly cutting weight, not doing it natural that and I'm certain these kind of things can be used to mask steroid use not that I think anyone in that event was PED'ed up lol.

Comment

Originally posted by KidDinamita View Post
            How can someone make 30lbs in a day? It is a bit impossible to do so.
            I would assume water weight.

Comment

The little guys like Chocolatito rehydrate 20-25 pounds which in percentage is much more compared to a 175 pound guy. The IBF 10 pound rule is dumb,.

Comment

Originally posted by BZBEE View Post
                The little guys like Chocolatito rehydrate 20-25 pounds which in percentage is much more compared to a 175 pound guy. The IBF 10 pound rule is dumb,.
                Really? Are you sure about that? I've never heard of Chocolatito rehydrating 20 to 25 pounds. Especially for a guy his size. I suppose 20 pounds max, but even that is extremely excessive. You only see guys in the early 20s coming close to that. But 30 pounds is next level unless he's rehydrating with an IV.
                Citizen Koba Citizen Koba likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by M Bison View Post
                  As long as he is cutting weight without any help of Diuretics/Laxatives then it is fair. I can only imagine how hard you'd have to work to cut so much weight, it will catch up with him later in his career if he continues to do that.

I was watching that Content Creator boxing event and had a little laugh at the fights going on, but one of the fights between two girls the winner of it said she was taking laxatives. That would be a case of unfairly cutting weight, not doing it natural that and I'm certain these kind of things can be used to mask steroid use not that I think anyone in that event was PED'ed up lol.
                  Yeah. That Content Creator class was pretty entertaining. I was surprised the crowd was so into it. The fact that it was boxing and not MMA they were doing says a lot.

Anyway, do you know of anyone rehydrating 30 pounds before? I think once you get into the 20 plus pounds, you're doing something outside the rules. Spending the day drinking milk jugs of water won't get you to that point. As I understand it, you're not going to completely rehydrate what you lost in one day. Although, maybe pedialyte and other supplements can help. Here's the typical process:
                  1. Immediately after you weigh in, take some Imodium to prevent you from losing any more water and having diarrhea whenever you start eating regular foods again. Also, drink a bottle of pedialyte and take a multi-vitamin to help replenish some of the minerals and electrolytes that you lost earlier while cutting. Gatorade works but is not as effective as pedialyte.
                  2. Go eat! Eat a good meal with carbs and proteins right after you weigh in but don’t gorge yourself otherwise you will fill up to quickly and won’t be able to eat again until hours later. Take your time and eat slowly and consistently throughout the day.
                  3. Take a tablespoon of Glycerin. It’s a clear gel substance that comes in a bottle at Wal-Mart and most drug stores. Glycerin helps absorb water into your muscles to rehydrate them. Take some the morning an hour before the meet also. Drink water with it so that you have something to absorb.
                  4. Drink water and pedialyte throughout the day just like you do with your food. I usually bring 2 bottles of pedialyte total for the day and drink 3 regular 9oz bottles of water.
                  5. Rest and recover for the remainder of the day and get a good night’s sleep so that you can wake up refreshed and ready to go.

Comment

Originally posted by Jsmooth9876 View Post
                    I thnk they should bring back same day weigh ins. Let these guys fight in divisions they belong in and stop killing themselves to have a slight advantage
                    i agree. Everyone says it's not safe, but it would cut out a lot of this 30-40 lb weight loss in training camps

Comment

Originally posted by Cypocryphy View Post
                      I just saw the Zurdo Ramirez fight, and I don't even know how that guy can get credit for that win. The fought a guy that looked have the size of Zurdo. But it all made sense when I head that Zurdo rehydrated 30 POUNDS!!!! He came into the ring at 205 pounds.

Seriously, what's the point of weight divisions if they're going to allow this? I thought rehydrated 18 pounds or so was excessive but rehydrating nearly twice as much as that?

Thoughts on whether you consider this cheating or not. I really don't like this. There should be some kind of cap on rehydrating. You want to rehydrated, make sure it's not more than 15 pounds. Otherwise, you can't fight in that weight class.

What's everyone's thoughts?

EDIT
                      I want to add something here, which is common knowledge in the industry. I'll quote from an article:
                      A fighter who has lost a lot of weight might not gain it all back before the fight. It is impossible to safely gain 20 or 30 pounds over a day, so this type of fighter will focus on rehydrating his body and providing adequate nutrition to have enough strength and stamina during the fight.

This means that it is HIGHLY LIKELY that Zurdo rehydrated intravenously, which is illegal. I think this needs to be raised as an issue.
                      If you have to ask, switch your sports interest to something that’s easier to understand like bowling. Zurdo started out as a middle weight. He’s a big gauky man. He’s also tall and fighting at 175, just like Canelo who is 6 inches SHORTER. He makes more sense fight light heavy than Canelo.

Comment

Working...
                      X