Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Zurdo Ramirez Rehydrates 30 Pounds, Fights As A Heavyweight—Is That Cheating?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Babadoux View Post
    There's no rule against it. I think the solution is to bring back same day weigh ins.
    His weight cut was dangerous and it's unfair to his opponent. I remember seeing the weigh in and thinking he must have trained indoors or at night because he looked as pale as I have ever seen him. This is sign of his body not being healthy as when he hit the ring he looked 2 shades darker and of course the size of a 1970's heavyweight.
    Cypocryphy Cypocryphy -Kev- -Kev- like this.

Comment

I like Ramirez, he has fought a few decent fighters. But that should be unacceptable. Weight classes were created for a reason. You are either a Light Heavyweight or a Cruiserweight, pick one. 204lbs is ridiculous, that should not be allowed.

Idgaf if he made weight. Weight classes aren’t doing sh/t then, if he can just come in as a literal Heavyweight in the ring. I mean in the 1940s-1950s he would be considered a gigantic heavyweight, dwarfing all other Heavyweights. He’d be the Tyson Fury of HW back then.

That’s not right. Big ass fighters have been circumventing weight classes for a long time with this sh/t. But that’s just too much. Just get rid if weight classes then, make it a free for all. Fck it. I want to see Oleksandr Usyk vs Roman Gonzalez next.

Comment

Originally posted by low blows View Post

His weight cut was dangerous and it's unfair to his opponent. I remember seeing the weigh in and thinking he must have trained indoors or at night because he looked as pale as I have ever seen him. This is sign of his body not being healthy as when he hit the ring he looked 2 shades darker and of course the size of a 1970's heavyweight.
        It’s no wonder he is eager to fight Bivol. Dude knows he is gonna come in at 205lbs-210lbs vs a maybe 190lb fighter. I mean when it’s like that, how wouldn’t you be confident?

Comment

Zurdo is 6'3 inches tall and used to fight at 168, thats an insane rehydration weight lol, only time Ive ever seen that was with UFC fighters when Nevada allowed IV usage years ago. When Nevada stopped allowing IV the UFC fighters didnt put much weight back on like 10 to 15 tops.

David Benividez is also 6'2 and cuts a massive amount of weight but I dont think he ever put on 30 pounds in 24 hours.

Comment

Originally posted by hectari View Post
            Zurdo is 6'3 inches tall and used to fight at 168, thats an insane rehydration weight lol, only time Ive ever seen that was with UFC fighters when Nevada allowed IV usage years ago. When Nevada stopped allowing IV the UFC fighters didnt put much weight back on like 10 to 15 tops.

David Benividez is also 6'2 and cuts a massive amount of weight but I dont think he ever put on 30 pounds in 24 hours.
            That's what I'm saying! I know! It's literally impossible to put that much weight on in a day without taking fluids in intravenously. This is out of hand. We need to put a stop to this.
            hectari hectari likes this.

Comment

As long as someone can make the weight, it's legit. I don't care if they cut down to it. Maybe the weight classes are meaningless as well. I remember Bud Crawford rehydrating to 156 for a fight at 135. If you can make the weight, you are that weight.

Some of the current lightweights also rehydrate to middleweight.

Comment

Originally posted by -Kev- View Post

It’s no wonder he is eager to fight Bivol. Dude knows he is gonna come in at 205lbs-210lbs vs a maybe 190lb fighter. I mean when it’s like that, how wouldn’t you be confident?
                Bivol came in at 183 he reckons.

But yeah, as with Chavez Jr and some other prospective stars to come out of the Mexican / WBC grooming line egregious rehydration can serve as a substitute for less than stellar boxing skills, allowing good but limited fighters to progress much further than their natural abilities would allow. Ain't to say Mexicans are the only ones to do it of course, but they do seem to take it to the greatest extremes.

IDK... as expressed by many others on here, my feeling - what I want to see - is fighters of an equal size in the ring squaring off so the outcome is determined by skill, toughness and will, not by who can maximise their size advantage by fair means or foul - a tactic which also invariably favours younger fighters whose bodies can withstand greater extremes of de- and re-hydration.

Unless use of illegal methods (such as IV or diuretics) is actually proven then it's not cheating as the rules stand but weight gains of that kinda magnitude are deeply suspicious, possibly dangerous (for both guys in the ring) and to my mind undermines the whole point of having weighclasses in the first place

Comment

Originally posted by Cypocryphy View Post

That's what I'm saying! I know! It's literally impossible to put that much weight on in a day without taking fluids in intravenously. This is out of hand. We need to put a stop to this.
                  Yeah thats an insane amount of water weight, does California allow IV?

Comment

Originally posted by -Kev- View Post

bivol was apparently 183 fight night v nelo so that would be quite a difference, its crazy really, its a boxing match not a rehydration contest, boxing with their whack officials, promoters, belts & rules really can be a head scratching sport at times, it badly needs a good cleanup with clearer more sensible rules

Comment

"His opponent can rehydrate that much too if they want," is such a stupid response.
                      Cypocryphy Cypocryphy likes this.

Comment

Working...
                      X