Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Zurdo Ramirez Rehydrates 30 Pounds, Fights As A Heavyweight—Is That Cheating?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zurdo Ramirez Rehydrates 30 Pounds, Fights As A Heavyweight—Is That Cheating?

I just saw the Zurdo Ramirez fight, and I don't even know how that guy can get credit for that win. The fought a guy that looked have the size of Zurdo. But it all made sense when I head that Zurdo rehydrated 30 POUNDS!!!! He came into the ring at 205 pounds.

Seriously, what's the point of weight divisions if they're going to allow this? I thought rehydrated 18 pounds or so was excessive but rehydrating nearly twice as much as that?

Thoughts on whether you consider this cheating or not. I really don't like this. There should be some kind of cap on rehydrating. You want to rehydrated, make sure it's not more than 15 pounds. Otherwise, you can't fight in that weight class.

What's everyone's thoughts?

EDIT
    I want to add something here, which is common knowledge in the industry. I'll quote from an article:
    A fighter who has lost a lot of weight might not gain it all back before the fight. It is impossible to safely gain 20 or 30 pounds over a day, so this type of fighter will focus on rehydrating his body and providing adequate nutrition to have enough strength and stamina during the fight.

This means that it is HIGHLY LIKELY that Zurdo rehydrated intravenously, which is illegal. I think this needs to be raised as an issue.
    Last edited by Cypocryphy; 05-15-2022, 12:58 AM.

I thnk they should bring back same day weigh ins. Let these guys fight in divisions they belong in and stop killing themselves to have a slight advantage

Comment

Nope not if he made weight.

James Toney use to rehydrate a lot too
      Marchegiano Marchegiano likes this.

Comment

Like Gatti Gamache except no one got seriously hurt this time

Comment

Originally posted by TreyShaw View Post
          Nope not if he made weight.

James Toney use to rehydrate a lot too
          That doesn't make it right or that it wasn't an issue back then. It defeats the purpose of seeing who's the more talented boxer, who's more skilled. Instead, it becomes a matter of one guy being very skilled and the other guy not needing much skill at all, just a nice weight advantage. Ruins the sport.

Comment

Rehydrating 30lbs seems suspicious to say the least.

Comment

If he came in 80 lbs heavier than weight in it still wouldn't be cheating
              Citizen Koba Citizen Koba likes this.

Comment

There's no rule against it. I think the solution is to bring back same day weigh ins.

Comment

Originally posted by SplitSecond View Post
                  Rehydrating 30lbs seems suspicious to say the least.
                  I know! I don't think I can remember someone who rehydrated that much. I think when they asked him how he did it, he said "lots of tacos." That Mexican meat is something else. I'm going to make it a staple in my diet now.

Comment

Originally posted by Babadoux View Post
                    There's no rule against it. I think the solution is to bring back same day weigh ins.
                    Yeah. I've been really wanting that to happen for awhile now. But after seeing someone put on 30 pounds like Zurdo, I think it's necessary, or as Youngman Rumble said, someone is going to get seriously hurt.
                    Babadoux Babadoux likes this.

Comment

Working...
                    X