Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

At what point will Floyd Mayweather get the credit he deserves?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

- -Guess Sissyboy Floyd still in a world of hurt after getting publicly beat up by Logan Paul.

Comment

Originally posted by QueensburyRules View Post
      - -Guess Sissyboy Floyd still in a world of hurt after getting publicly beat up by Logan Paul.
      Beat up lol you boys are dumb as dog sht.
      GrandpaBernard GrandpaBernard likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by TheMyspaceDayz View Post

The difference is I ain’t a know-nothing casual who dry humps the 0 on someone’s record. I’ve read the books, watched the tapes, did everything in my power to rank all the greats accordingly.

Leonard > Mayweather lol
        I have Leonard above Floyd on my all time list too, but you obviously weren't a boxing fan or maybe alive when Leonard was fighting. He was a managed fighter who did a lot of the same things people criticize today's fighters for. Waited some guys out until they were older. Caught guys off their best weight. Waited years for rematches everyone wanted. Ring size. Glove size. Avoided some tough fights altogether. Etc etc. And he got more than 1 gift decision too.

And I've got news for you, there are old timers who will say the same things about Sugar Ray Robinson. Most of the all time greats had their careers managed to some extent. Manny, Floyd, both Sugar Rays, and even Roberto Duran. I wasn't around for all of it, but maybe Ali is the exception to this, but others who were there might correct me on that.

All sports romanticize the past to some extent. People forget what happened. That's kind of what this thread is about. Mayweather managed his career to maximize his earnings. So did Manny, so does Canelo, so does GGG. In the end, you judge them by who they fought, did they fight champions? Did they fight guys coming off winning streaks or losing streaks? Did they give quick rematches after controversial decisions? Floyd absolutely has some management decisions people should question, but people need to apply those same standards to other fighters then too. And with Leonard, there's people who say he ducked Aaron Pryor, wouldn't give Hearns the rematch he deserved for 8 years. Caught Hagler late in his career and got all the advantages in the fight. Was inactive for too long. etc etc.

Floyd's resume speaks for itself and it stacks up against the resumes of other all time greats well.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny2x2x View Post

I have Leonard above Floyd on my all time list too, but you obviously weren't a boxing fan or maybe alive when Leonard was fighting. He was a managed fighter who did a lot of the same things people criticize today's fighters for. Waited some guys out until they were older. Caught guys off their best weight. Waited years for rematches everyone wanted. Ring size. Glove size. Avoided some tough fights altogether. Etc etc. And he got more than 1 gift decision too.

And I've got news for you, there are old timers who will say the same things about Sugar Ray Robinson. Most of the all time greats had their careers managed to some extent. Manny, Floyd, both Sugar Rays, and even Roberto Duran. I wasn't around for all of it, but maybe Ali is the exception to this, but others who were there might correct me on that.

All sports romanticize the past to some extent. People forget what happened. That's kind of what this thread is about. Mayweather managed his career to maximize his earnings. So did Manny, so does Canelo, so does GGG. In the end, you judge them by who they fought, did they fight champions? Did they fight guys coming off winning streaks or losing streaks? Did they give quick rematches after controversial decisions? Floyd absolutely has some management decisions people should question, but people need to apply those same standards to other fighters then too. And with Leonard, there's people who say he ducked Aaron Pryor, wouldn't give Hearns the rematch he deserved for 8 years. Caught Hagler late in his career and got all the advantages in the fight. Was inactive for too long. etc etc.

Floyd's resume speaks for itself and it stacks up against the resumes of other all time greats well.
          Excellent post

I’d emphasize *In the end, you judge them by who they BEAT

Comment

Originally posted by Roadblock View Post

Beat up lol you boys are dumb as dog sht.
            looooool so true

Comment

Floyd... yeah... he's an interesting one. I can't find a highlight video or many gifs people ever posted with him doing anything that was like, woooooww, aaaawwwwesome!!! He simply never been in a really entertaining/exciting fight that had people jumping out of their seats. Yet he won... So there is that.

You'll really find two kinds of boxing fans. Of course there is the purists but then there are the ones that enjoy a good slugfest. I like one that can kind of do both.I appreciate boxer punchers but I really hate ones that hit to just rack up points. I like to know the fighter wants to try and KO the other guy or give the fans a really exciting fight. I've watched a lot of Jr's bouts and never felt that.

Perhaps his Gatti win was the most exciting, yet it was more so watching the punishment Gatti took and wondering if he could pull off a miracle left hook. He was clearly outmatched. Yet this was a "mega" fight for Jr. I feel he always just needs a good dance partner because by himself, he wouldn't put anyone in seats.
              Rec28 Rec28 likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by ELPacman View Post
                Floyd... yeah... he's an interesting one. I can't find a highlight video or many gifs people ever posted with him doing anything that was like, woooooww, aaaawwwwesome!!! He simply never been in a really entertaining/exciting fight that had people jumping out of their seats. Yet he won... So there is that.

You'll really find two kinds of boxing fans. Of course there is the purists but then there are the ones that enjoy a good slugfest. I like one that can kind of do both.I appreciate boxer punchers but I really hate ones that hit to just rack up points. I like to know the fighter wants to try and KO the other guy or give the fans a really exciting fight. I've watched a lot of Jr's bouts and never felt that.

Perhaps his Gatti win was the most exciting, yet it was more so watching the punishment Gatti took and wondering if he could pull off a miracle left hook. He was clearly outmatched. Yet this was a "mega" fight for Jr. I feel he always just needs a good dance partner because by himself, he wouldn't put anyone in seats.
                Pretty Boy had a ton of action packed exciting fights, Floyd was a monster at 130, but as he went up in weight and his hands kept breaking he changed his style. So Money Mayweather was a small Welterweight with brittle hands, he wasn't going to last by being a slugger at that weight. So his later fights he became a master at controlling fights with defense and footwork. He was a master at disrupting the rhythm of his opponents, of keeping them guessing. The fight fan in me liked Pretty Boy, the boxing purist in me liked Money. He was literally putting on clinics in his last dozen or more fights, the types of fights where trainers across the country would go through frame by frame of each round to show their fighters what is supposed to be being done.

Pretty Boy had plenty of great slug fests.
                https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7WWBI7zh0A

Comment

Originally posted by Cypocryphy View Post

He's different than Marciano and is one of the best defensive boxers to ever do it. But that's all you can say, if we're being truthful. Marciano beat Joe Louise. Marciano beat Jersey Joe. He beat some A+ opponents. He retired kind of like Ward did.

But Marciano man. That guy was once a century phenomenon. They don't make people like that anymore. Like my grandfather. Someone slammed the trunk of a car onto his hand at a shop. He didn't even flinch. Didn't make a sound. Just said, "Hey, open it up; it's on my hand." (Mangled hand). You'd think someone just brushed up against him the way he acted. People back then were so much tougher than they are now.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQz9HiliZFKykc0Kl_LdUTrdaqcxedR-PE6UNQS-sOz90I5OuWzXTw_1x35rB95mjuuf2Q&usqp=CAU.jpg

d31192ca65dca514965fdbce14050fa4.jpg

I think Marciano was a better fighter than Floyd, to be honest. In a different way, in a more pure way. I also like him because he never should have been able to do what he did. Too small, with T-Rex arms. Should have never happened for him. But he willed it to happen. That's a fighter
                  You can also say Floyd beat over double the amount of Top 5 ranked fighters Marciano beat so there's that.

Comment

Originally posted by ELPacman View Post

You didn't find his fights with Corrales, Zab judah, shane mosley, canelo to be exciting?

Comment

Floyd gets a ton of credit. Anyone who knows anything about boxing rank him as one of the best to ever lace em up. I've heard people rank him top 20-30 of all-time, some even rank top 10 of all-time.

If you expect certain posters here to give him credit, well if they haven't already then they're probably never going to.

Comment

Working...
                      X