Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why did Usyk agree to a rematch clause?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm starting to wonder if Ukrainian fighters are just bad businessman because of machismo? (Like Loma not getting a rematch clause v Teo because Teo used reverse psychology on him)
    Willie Pep 229 Willie Pep 229 likes this.

Comment

I wonder if Whyte Fury will have a rematch clause; hopefully not an immediate one because of a potential undisputed.

Comment

Originally posted by kushking View Post

Wait a minute,theres no way in hell AJ would drop a belt imo considering undisputed was all thats left for him at hw,& having Usyk get a belt would mean he would be right where he started if he beat Fury,& imagine the backlash. Usyks ppl have to be the worst businessman imo
        Ok fair points.
        kushking kushking likes this.

Comment

Usyk hasn't made a ton of money in his career. Despite winning European, World, and Olympic gold, no promoter wanted to sign him because he's a cruiserweight. He also turned pro right as German boxing died, so that avenue had dried up as well. He had to go to Poland to fight Glowacki, his two HBO appearances before the WBSS didn't pay much, and then he had to barnstorm across Europe to get the WBSS bag, which was the first real money he's made. That got him Bellew, Chisora, and Joshua, but this rematch will likely make him more than all those fights combined.

Comment

Probably because he didn't want to miss out on a big payday and risk Joshua declining the fight and tossing his title into the trash like Bowe.
            Willie Pep 229 Willie Pep 229 likes this.

Comment

My point is that it was a dumb move to be forced to rematch AJ with a set in stone split where he doesn't get lions share. Its always better to have leverage in business, regardless of whether Fury lost,Usyk could've had all the belts & played hardball. Just look at Andy Ruiz who Usyk should've learned from
              What did Ruiz do. He was not even in a mandatory position so a rematch clause was in place. He won the first fight and was dictated where the second fight would be. He turned up and lost.

i believe Usyk and his promoters have good communications with Eddie. I hear what you are saying but when you have ultimate believe in your skill Usyk realised if he wins his life has changed and if he wins the rematch well.....

Comment

Originally posted by Noelanthony View Post

What did Ruiz do. He was not even in a mandatory position so a rematch clause was in place. He won the first fight and was dictated where the second fight would be. He turned up and lost.

i believe Usyk and his promoters have good communications with Eddie. I hear what you are saying but when you have ultimate believe in your skill Usyk realised if he wins his life has changed and if he wins the rematch well.....
                Ruiz played hardball despite having a rematch clause,& he still got rewarded extra for it,& then he lost because he was too fat to chase AJ in a handpicked ring & ref. Usyk should've learned from that & been smart enough to see that he who holds the royal flush has all the leverage.

Had Usyk not had a rematch clause he could have had AJ/Hearn by the balls pretty simple actually

Comment

Its a mandatory fight that AJ was forced to take. Normally theres no rematch clause for mandatories, just look at Porter v Crawford.
                  Because AJ is/was popular enough to walk away from the WBO - scantioning bodies are either bullies or b-itches depending on their position.

Your other guy wasn't a HW Champion who can command millions of PPV buys - so he did as told.

Comment

Originally posted by Willie Pep 229 View Post

Because AJ is/was popular enough to walk away from the WBO - scantioning bodies are either bullies or b-itches depending on their position.

Your other guy wasn't a HW Champion who can command millions of PPV buys - so he did as told.
                    And you actually believe AJ would vacate & be ridiculed for eternity over a rematch clause?

He would be right where he started by beating Fury if Usyk had the Wbo
                    Last edited by kushking; 10-19-2021, 12:40 PM.

Comment

Ruiz played hardball despite having a rematch clause,& he still got rewarded extra for it,& then he lost because he was too fat to chase AJ in a handpicked ring & ref. Usyk should've learned from that & been smart enough to see that he who holds the royal flush has all the leverage.

Had Usyk not had a rematch clause he could have had AJ/Hearn by the balls pretty simple actually
                      I recall Eddie saying we will fight Usyk but if he wants to silly and not realistic with his demands we dont want but we will drop the belt. (a bluff im sure) however, i believe Usyk was more concerned about securing his bag than being bothered about fighting Aj again. Fighting AJ again means more money.......where do i sign?

Comment

Working...
                      X