Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why Are People So Opposed to PPVs?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't care about PPV. I watched the fight via free stream. Clear HD, no buffering. Hooked up my laptop to my big screen via HDMI. Total cost for the night: $0. Got to watch one of the best HW fights in a long time.

Comment

Originally posted by The Big Dunn View Post

You sure? It seems that more fights go to ppv because the only way to make any money is charge people to watch at home since tickets aren’t moving like they used to.

The posters that hate ppv cite the following reasons why:

hate haymon ,
      mad about the price point
      Crappy fights on the ppv card.
      have a “ cracked fire stick” so they don’t pay
      PPV used to be cool until fighters like Floyd oversaturated it with bs fights that could have been for free, like Floyd/Robert Guerrero or, Floyd Berto, or Floyd Marcos Madonna 2x mind yous..

Nothing fights killed the game.

Comment

Originally posted by djtmal View Post

PPV used to be cool until fighters like Floyd oversaturated it with bs fights that could have been for free, like Floyd/Robert Guerrero or, Floyd Berto, or Floyd Marcos Madonna 2x mind yous..

Nothing fights killed the game.
        Those fights definitely did not kill the game...And using Floyd as an example is horrible. All those fights minus the Berto one did in the 1M-850k range. You would be bat sh^t crazy not to put those fights on PPV with the amount of revenue that was generated from them.

Comment

Originally posted by KTFOKING View Post

Those fights definitely did not kill the game...And using Floyd as an example is horrible. All those fights minus the Berto one did in the 1M-850k range. You would be bat sh^t crazy not to put those fights on PPV with the amount of revenue that was generated from them.
          I'm not talking about how much revenue they generated. I'm talking about the quality of the matchups themselves.

Its basically Floyd vs. some bums that barely have a jab.

Now what do you have. A bunch of paper champs who want to copy the same format.
          Last edited by djtmal; 10-15-2021, 04:20 PM.

Comment

I'm not talking about how much revenue they generated. I'm talking about the quality of the matchups themselves.

Floyd earned the right to be on PPV every fight and charge $80 a pop for it.

But once he retired the greedy scumbag promoters didn't lower the price and expected us to pay that much for guys that are nowhere near Floyd's level.

They should charge $39.99 until fighters prove they can build a following to demand premium prices.

Comment

Vs some bums? Maidana was the WBA champion and Guerrero was the WBC champion. Both were champions when Floyd fought him. Which fighter gets criticized for fighting champions?

Comment

Originally posted by KTFOKING View Post

Vs some bums? Maidana was the WBA champion and Guerrero was the WBC champion. Both were champions when Floyd fought him. Which fighter gets criticized for fighting champions?
                Just because they were paper champs, don't mean they are ppv worthy or anybody that would make a spectacular event.

Comment

Originally posted by deathofaclown View Post
                  I don’t think people are opposed to it as such. I think people are a against pay-per-view fights when it shouldn’t be, like most of sky sports PPV’s.

As for DAZN, well their whole marketing spiel was that it’s the end of PPV and what not, only to decide they might do a U-turn on it. People should rightly be unhappy. Imagine you paid a Netflix subscription and then they said you had to pay an extra $20 for certain shows or films.

DAZN was meant to be a game changer by offering the best fights for a subscription, that was their ethos and they did a big song and dance about it.

The problem with DAZN doing PPV is they say it would only be for very rare huge fights. Sure it might start that way, but they would start adding lesser fights eventually. Or they will want fighters like Canelo to stay, so will want to offer him a PPV platform and money regardless of who he fights. It’s obvious the direction it will take.

I just think it’s poor from a company that we’re supposed to be changing the game with their model.

but nobody is forced to buy it so it is what it is.
                  Did anyone think they'd be getting Fury v Joshua on a DAZN subscription? I'll guarantee that was a PPV on multiple platforms. It shouldn't surprise anyone. How else would a multi network fight get made? You can't have it on ESPN PPV and a DAZN subscription at a fraction of the price.

Amazon Prime, YouTube, Apple+... they all do subscriptions with a one off purchase for big/new releases. This isn't new. You might pay because it's something that simply isn't included in your subscription.

Last weekend I bought the Wilder v Fury fight on Kayo Main Event. That's a PPV add on for a sports TV subscription in Australia. I never expected that fight in my subscription.

It's a case of watching which fights go to PPV. If it's the rare massive fights and dual network fights then fair enough. If they're putting Whyte v Wallin on PPV then I'd reassess whether my subscription was worth it to just watch lower level fights. That said, Whyte v Wallin would have been a PPV before DAZN, so I'm still winning. ​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by Butt stuff View Post
                    It’s just weird how the biggest events in the world can be non-PPV like the World Cup etc, but somehow boxing needs to be an expensive PPV. If you’re already paying a subscription then that should be enough.
                    Not that weird. Those types of events get literally billions of eyes on them. That generates advertising revenue at the events and on broadcasts.

Even if boxing was free you'd never get those kind of viewer numbers.

PPV acknowledges that but has the effect of further limiting the number of viewers. That's why we start to get worse and worse fights on PPV. PPV is making it less visible and less popular. So a smaller number of people need to pay more and more to make the fights financially viable.

Subscription seems to be a halfway house approach. Make it more accessible at a lower price point but acknowledge that it will never be a major event like the World Cup.

The jury is out whether boxing can generate enough viewers at a lower price point.

Comment

Originally posted by CornerCutman View Post

Yessir, when I'm out of medical school and making doctor money I probably won't complain much about PPV anymore.
                      If it's a choice between paying your bills or buying a PPV then fair enough. And lots of people are close to that line.

But I don't think you ever financially get to a point where you stop deciding if something is value or not.
                      CornerCutman CornerCutman likes this.

Comment

Working...
                      X