No announcement yet.

Highest ATG Ranking Achievable in Modern Boxing

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Shadoww702 View Post
    Dudes back then work full time 60 hours a week. Still train and box on the weekends
    the world champions definitely didn't. they fought quite a bit for the gate money.

Comment

Originally posted by HOF Hater View Post

I have Pac Top 10 EVER...above Floyd.

If Pac beats Spence it does inch him up further but I don't have him GOAT just yet. Mainly because I don't think Spence is very good.
      This where it's a bit unfair. Would a 42 year old SRR be favourite to beat Spence?
      You don't historically need to be that great to beat people at PACs stage of career. Was hector Camacho that good really when beating SRL?
      plus it don't make sense at this stage to say Pac has to fight and beat thurman, spence and bud when they not even fought each other to establish who's the best out of them? What's the point of beating bud when spence beats bud? Maybe thurman best of them all?
      To put it succinctly why can't pac just beat the best out of them rather than have to fight all of them?
      Last edited by hugh grant; 07-25-2021, 06:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by hugh grant View Post

This where it's a bit unfair. Would a 42 year old SRR be favourite to beat Spence?
        You don't historically need to be that great to beat people at PACs stage of career. Was hector Camacho that good really when beating SRL?
        plus it don't make sense at this stage to say Pac has to fight and beat thurman, spence and bud when they not even fought each other to establish who's the best out of them? What's the point of beating bud when spence beats bud? Maybe thurman best of them all?
        To put it succinctly why can't pac just beat the best out of them rather than have to fight all of them?
        I believe Crawford is the best WW today. There's a reason Pac chose Spence and not Crawford and Roach has even commented that the Spence fight is more winnable. Not saying Manny can't beat Crawford but styles make fights and Crawford presents more challenge than Spence.

No fighter in the history of sport can fight EVERY deserving opponent...not enough time in the day, week, month, year, and/or career. If Manny were to beat Thurman, Spence, and then Crawford all above the age of 40...man, that would be something. It would be quite awhile before we see something like that again. Matter of fact I don't know if we'd be alive by the time something like that were to happen again.

Comment

Originally posted by Citizen Koba View Post

It could be the difference on how they fed themselves for the rest of the week for a lot of dudes in the depression era and earlier. And because these dudes had no choice but to fight regularly they were often carrying injuries going into fights and stuff... completely different sport back then.

I know it's fiction but you ever read Jack London's 'A Piece of Steak'?

http://www.eastoftheweb.com/short-st...s/PieSte.shtml

Classic boxing short story about an aging prizefighter struggling to feed his family... the final coupla paragraphs are tragic but musta been a story familiar to many fighting men of the period. Shit, go to somewhere like Nicaragua or parts of Mexico and it's no different even today.

Umm.,. Spoiler alert I guess..
          Thanks for the link I will definitely be reading that after work!

Comment

Working...
          X