Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Wilder Vows To Be Outspoken, Take a Stand Like Muhammad Ali Did

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Oldskoolg View Post

Such as? Who should he speak with?
    Any one of the dozens of bona fide journalists who attended a highly publicised press conference which was broadcast on main stream media all over the globe with the express purpose of asking him questions and listening to what he had to say.

Wilder refused to speak to any of them.

Comment

It’s worth noting that Ali was not loved by all when he was fighting. We look back on him with fondness but we have to remember that when Ali was fighting, he was called racial epithets, booed by many crowds in the USA, and often reviled by segments of society, sports journalists, politicians, and other groups. In regards to black Americans generally anyone who becomes some level of a spokesman for that demographic is generally considered “divisive”….Jim Brown, Muhammad Ali, Colin Kaepernick, Arthur Ashe (specifically in regards to his efforts against Nationalist Party Apartheid in South Africa), John Carlos etc etc. This isn’t in dispute. We saw that when Olafemi spoke out in favour of economic ascension for his group in the U.K., he got a very unsavoury response from a segment of society. Again, we have to tell all the story. I stopped counting how many times people on here have called Wilder a “racist” because he honoured American black history month and because he speaks out on what he and his group perceive as systemic racism. Generally when an athlete speaks out on this (and I didn’t even begin to name the many NBA players who do this) they become unpopular. Something to think about regarding the man from jerkwater Alabama….

Comment

Originally posted by Citizen Koba View Post

I'd suggest you mean antagonizing, marginalizing doesn't really make sense in context.
        No, the word marginalizing is used in its proper context here. Here's the definition of marginalizing: (tr) to relegate to the fringes, out of the mainstream; make seem unimportant.

Comment

Originally posted by BritJimbo View Post

Deontay strikes me as someone who is going to really struggle when his boxing career ends. I hope not.
          I think you are right. He seems emotionally fragile and physically dangerous. I hope he doesn't flip out and hurt someone once he leaves boxing.

Comment

Such as? Who should he speak with?
            Anyone but 78SportsTV?

Any TV network, any boxing press. He has the platform.

Hard to speak out meaningfully when he hides behind interviewers who just blow smoke up his backside.
            Last edited by Toffee; 07-08-2021, 06:29 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by BoloShot View Post

Wilder is an outright racist who panders to other racists. Don't you dare make out that he's some activist. He's just another racist hillbilly.
              Well when you put it like that, maybe not dissimilar to elements of Ali's character.

Comment

He is only outspoken when he is sat with sweaty racist goons who promise not to try to get him to validate the utter BS he says.. When the world's media is there with their microphones to record his words that would spread around the world he refuses to speak and just sits silent with a sulky face on.

What Ali was about and what he is about are 2 very different things and they lived in 2 very different times. The man is an embarrassment.
                Last edited by DaNeutral.; 07-08-2021, 06:33 AM.

Comment

It’s worth noting that Ali was not loved by all when he was fighting. We look back on him with fondness but we have to remember that when Ali was fighting, he was called racial epithets, booed by many crowds in the USA, and often reviled by segments of society, sports journalists, politicians, and other groups. In regards to black Americans generally anyone who becomes some level of a spokesman for that demographic is generally considered “divisive”….Jim Brown, Muhammad Ali, Colin Kaepernick, Arthur Ashe (specifically in regards to his efforts against Nationalist Party Apartheid in South Africa), John Carlos etc etc. This isn’t in dispute. We saw that when Olafemi spoke out in favour of economic ascension for his group in the U.K., he got a very unsavoury response from a segment of society. Again, we have to tell all the story. I stopped counting how many times people on here have called Wilder a “racist” because he honoured American black history month and because he speaks out on what he and his group perceive as systemic racism. Generally when an athlete speaks out on this (and I didn’t even begin to name the many NBA players who do this) they become unpopular. Something to think about regarding the man from jerkwater Alabama….
                  Regarding Ali ... things have changed a lot since the 1960s.

Regarding AJ ... he was rightly called out for virtue signalling and hypocrisy. None of the businesses he promotes via his sponsorship deals are owned by black Brits.

Comment

Wilder is an outright racist who panders to other racists. Don't you dare make out that he's some activist. He's just another racist hillbilly.
                    Wilder is a bandwagon jumping race hustler, but I don't believe he is an outright racist himself.

Comment

If anything Wilder is an anti-racist. A Black racist would be someone like Clarence Thomas, Candace Owens or a Tiger Woods.

Those who have platforms but supports or are indifferent to the oppressive system which causes black pain and suffering. Moreover, Deontay Wilder is an activist. He went to Chicago recently to speak to black youth about stopping gun violence in their own communities. Old media covered it up.

When most black people get wealthy and famous among whites like most people of color do; They have a tendency of feeling very uncomfortable around the same people who closely resemble them. How many other high profile black celebrities make hood appearances other than a Lebron James or Dwyane Wade?

Comment

Working...
                      X