Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Claressa Shields Makes MMA Debut, Stops Brittney Elkin in Third

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by buddyr View Post

yeah, but she needs to stop sitting on her punches. When you load up in the octagon, you become susceptible to takedowns. In mma, it's hard to land combinations against a grappler. But she's in shape though. She's in better shape than most men in the octagon. She's not even breathing heavy

I think she needs to quit boxing right now and focus on MMA, she made peanuts in boxing, and boxing doesnt really push women, she already has records in boxing, in MMA she could be a super star especailly if she keeps winning, Holly Holm didn't get signed tot he UFC until she was 36 years old. Shields is young 26 and has more upside, Jackson Wink need to throw her in with nothing but top level grapplers in training and soak it all up

She won me over tonight, and ill root for her only cause it takes guts and she is a true warrior she is different because she really does have heart no quit in her

I thought she would tap easy and was just doing it for a payday, but she didnt tape or give up, so she is serious about this.

Comment

Originally posted by hectari View Post

I think she needs to quit boxing right now and focus on MMA, she made peanuts in boxing, and boxing doesnt really push women, she already has records in boxing, in MMA she could be a super star especailly if she keeps winning, Holly Holm didn't get signed tot he UFC until she was 36 years old. Shields is young 26 and has more upside, Jackson Wink need to throw her in with nothing but top level grapplers in training and soak it all up

She won me over tonight, and ill root for her only cause it takes guts and she is a true warrior she is different because she really does have heart no quit in her

I thought she would tap easy and was just doing it for a payday, but she didnt tape or give up, so she is serious about this.
      trust me, she will make even less in MMA.

Comment

Originally posted by TMLT87 View Post

This aint the UFC, and she came within 3 minutes of losing to a chick with a 3-6 record.

And what do you mean cant compete in "boxing"? what level of boxing?
        I said compete which she did, given a few more training sessions she will only get better, it was a job well done give her a little bit of credit she did good.

Comment

Originally posted by TX_BOXNG View Post
          She did worst than i thought she would, 2nd rd she looked warmed up bit more loose, but she could of easily been sub that first rd and 2nd, maybe the fight was a bit fixed or the opponent is very stupid or is really bad

Either way, she doesn't seem like she will be a threat in MMA like i thought she could

lol she will need 3 years of training and fights, she did very good for a novice who only trained MMA for 3 months and the chick she is fighting has been training grappling for 8 years.

Not bad for Shields she knew when to explode out of the armbar too. I can see her getting better each fight, it took holly holm 5 years, UFC signed her at 35 years old but Holm focused on MMA fighting small shows for 4 years before UFC came calling, Claressa trains with Holly holm now and has her as a mentor with jon jones at jackson wink

Comment

She actually looked really good yeah she clearly lost rounds 1 and 2 but her defense off her back was good considering she hasn't been training long. Her composure was impressive she literally took no damage and that girl although having a bad record is at least experienced has good jiu-jitsu and was lanky she couldn't land anything of note from the top position. The momentum of the fight changed at the end of round 2 she hurt her and followed up at the beginning of rd 3 and sealed the deal. She's still not ready for any elite of course but a few more fights like this I can see here easing into a high profile fight in a year or two she is really athletic the way she was using her hips showed her strength and that she's been working on her wrestling major props her power seems better with the smaller gloves and longer rounds.

Also forgot to mention her escaping an armbar attempt from a brown belt.
            Last edited by Kannabis Kid; 06-10-2021, 11:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by buddyr View Post

trust me, she will make even less in MMA.

She said in boxing she only got paid 200,000 dollars or something, its the reason she said she going to MMA because she said the female stars make more than female boxing champs.
              Nomadic Nomadic likes this.

Comment

Very impressed by Claressa's composure when she was in a compromised position. I hope for boxings sake that she starts getting pay days in boxing so the boxing world doesn't have to eventually take an L to the MMA world.

Comment

Originally posted by hectari View Post

lol she will need 3 years of training and fights, she did very good for a novice who only trained MMA for 3 months and the chick she is fighting has been training grappling for 8 years.

Not bad for Shields she knew when to explode out of the armbar too. I can see her getting better each fight, it took holly holm 5 years, UFC signed her at 35 years old but Holm focused on MMA fighting small shows for 4 years before UFC came calling, Claressa trains with Holly holm now and has her as a mentor with jon jones at jackson wink
                  Holm made her UFC debut in early 2015 when she was 33 she's 39.

Comment

She literally ran away to mma just to avoid savannah Marshall and yall praising her. Smh. This why boxers duck other fighters, they know the fans won’t care
                    Boxingmean Boxingmean likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by Roadblock View Post

I said compete which she did, given a few more training sessions she will only get better, it was a job well done give her a little bit of credit she did good.

She did far worse than I thought she would tbh. I expected she would just blitz the other chick and get the KO early considering her level of opponent. But she came perilously close to losing in pretty one sided fashion to an absolute can there. She could certainly improve but to put in perspective how far she'd have to go, she just got badly outgrappled by a chick who has multiple submission losses including being tapped in the first round by Kayla Harrison a couple of fights ago.

Comment

Working...
                      X