Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Claressa Shields Makes MMA Debut, Stops Brittney Elkin in Third

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TMLT87
    replied
    Originally posted by Lomadeaux View Post

Just keep working on closing the gap. The biggest everything is boxing. Gates, PPV’s, etc.. Why are tickets so much more expensive for boxing if MMA is so popular? What’s the biggest attendance in UFC history? If you kept pricing where it was for Canelo-Saunders for MMA at Dallas stadium.. you’d fill 1/3 of it? I’m guessing the biggest UFC attendance ever is around 40k or so at a stadium.

Everything they do is priced accordingly. It’s less expensive for PPVs, less expensive for tickets…. It’s a different sport all together and it’s a difficult one to watch.
    Ticket prices (and salaries for that matter) dont necessarily have to correlate with how popular something is. If one sport does better in live gates and pays higher but another sport does much better on PPV, better on social media, better on Youtube, has an EA produced video game etc i'd say the latter has the more direct indicators of how many people are actually interested in the product, because pay and ticket prices are more about how the business is run than how popular it is. WWE is probably bigger than both and their tickets are cheaper still as far as i'm aware.

Also, when you say things are priced accordingly, okay so why is it boxing gives most of its **** away for free while the UFC is on PPV over twice as many times per year usually? does your logic still apply there?

And again, you say its difficult to watch, but the growth speaks for itself. I love boxing, I loved it before I even knew MMA existed, so I will sit through the bad **** to get to the good ****, and will always watch it. But objectively speaking MMA is clearly much more casual friendly and more likely to win over new fans - in terms of the fighting itself its got more (and much more dramatic) KOs, far more visible damage done, its more dynamic, more unpredictable, more split second, higher likelihood of some crazy water cooler talk **** happening. Then on the business side big fights get made in a more timely fashion, the presentation is better, its much more common to see stacked cards with multiple fights that people are invested in.

I know people who are only into MMA and believe it or not theres been times where ive defended boxing when they've **** on it, but the truth is if you dont have that nostalgia/emotional investment in it its a much harder sell than MMA. It takes much more patience, much more effort (imagine a potential new fan trying to understand all the promotions and belts and the sheer amount of weight classes) and you need to overlook much more bull****.

Leave a comment:

• Lomadeaux
    replied
    Originally posted by TMLT87 View Post

We've been through this, a female, who kickboxed, boxed and then did MMA for years, winning the title with a ****ing KICK.

The UFC had the biggest PPV of 2016, 2018, 2019 and this year so far. The only reason boxing did in 2020 was because of the Tyson/RJJ exhibition with Jake Paul vs some NBA dude in the co-main.

The UFC is going to PPV 12-13 times a year and drawing big numbers regularly. Their worst performing PPV (of 7) so far this year did 300k buys, thats the kind of numbers Spence does and hes supposed to be one of the biggest new stars in boxing.
    Just keep working on closing the gap. The biggest everything is boxing. Gates, PPV’s, etc.. Why are tickets so much more expensive for boxing if MMA is so popular? What’s the biggest attendance in UFC history? If you kept pricing where it was for Canelo-Saunders for MMA at Dallas stadium.. you’d fill 1/3 of it? I’m guessing the biggest UFC attendance ever is around 40k or so at a stadium.

Everything they do is priced accordingly. It’s less expensive for PPVs, less expensive for tickets…. It’s a different sport all together and it’s a difficult one to watch.

Leave a comment:

• TMLT87
    replied

World Champion Boxers can go to MMA and become the champions of UFC… it’s already happened.
    We've been through this, a female, who kickboxed, boxed and then did MMA for years, winning the title with a ****ing KICK.

Every year the biggest boxing PPV out ranks the biggest MMA PPV by a landslide.
    The UFC had the biggest PPV of 2016, 2018, 2019 and this year so far. The only reason boxing did in 2020 was because of the Tyson/RJJ exhibition with Jake Paul vs some NBA dude in the co-main.

The UFC is going to PPV 12-13 times a year and drawing big numbers regularly. Their worst performing PPV (of 7) so far this year did 300k buys, thats the kind of numbers Spence does and hes supposed to be one of the biggest new stars in boxing.
    Last edited by TMLT87; 06-14-2021, 01:12 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Lomadeaux
    replied

Lol, sees massively bigger PPV numbers, Youtube views, social media followers etc for one guy over the other, still wont accept reality, denial in action.

Remember that time Canelo got paid $35m for the Kovalev fight and then sat in his locker room for an extra hour while the arenas big screens played the Jorge/Nate fight to his own audience so they wouldnt have to go head to head with it? lmao.
    You’re high. Sorry dude. Every year the biggest boxing PPV out ranks the biggest MMA PPV by a landslide. Just get over it. People always have and always will give more money to boxing than MMA.

You like MMA… there’s nothing wrong with that. World Champion Boxers can go to MMA and become the champions of UFC… it’s already happened. UFC champions could never become world boxing champions.

Just accept it buddy.

Leave a comment:

• TMLT87
    replied

Canelo Alvarez... has WAY more money than Connor McGregor... lmfao.
    Lol, sees massively bigger PPV numbers, Youtube views, social media followers etc for one guy over the other, still wont accept reality, denial in action.

Remember that time Canelo got paid $35m for the Kovalev fight and then sat in his locker room for an extra hour while the arenas big screens played the Jorge/Nate fight to his own audience so they wouldnt have to go head to head with it? lmao.

Leave a comment:

• Lomadeaux
    replied

Conors PPV numbers: 11.3m buys from 8 UFC fights.
    Canelos PPV numbers: 8.1m from 9 boxing matches

I'm not even including Conor/Floyd, which did over double the buys of Canelo/Floyd.

Social media numbers:

Conor: 40.2m IG, 13.5m FB, 8.7m Twitter
    Canelo: 9.8m IG, 5.6m FB, 1.8m Twitter

Most viewed Conor video on YT: 62m
    Most viewed Canelo video on YT: 13m

...you tell me?
    Canelo Alvarez... has WAY more money than Connor McGregor... lmfao.

Leave a comment:

• TMLT87
    replied
    Who's the biggest star?
    Conors PPV numbers: 11.3m buys from 8 UFC fights.
    Canelos PPV numbers: 8.1m from 9 boxing matches

I'm not even including Conor/Floyd, which did over double the buys of Canelo/Floyd.

Social media numbers:

Conor: 40.2m IG, 13.5m FB, 8.7m Twitter
    Canelo: 9.8m IG, 5.6m FB, 1.8m Twitter

Most viewed Conor video on YT: 62m
    Most viewed Canelo video on YT: 13m

...you tell me?

Leave a comment:

• Lomadeaux
    replied

Nope. In practical terms its been 2005 to now. The UFC was blacklisted off of PPV and from running a lot of venues from 1997 until 2001 when Zuffa bought it dirt cheap. Then it started gaining traction after The Ultimate Fighter debuted. The sport wasnt even called "MMA" until the 00s for ****s sake. The MMA ban in NYC wasnt lifted until 2016.

Geez do I really need to point out all the ways this is true?

It used to be on Spike tv, now its on ESPN outdrawing Top Rank on the same network. It used to be either ignored or reviled by mainstream media, now it gets the same level of coverage as boxing. EA used to make boxing games and actually originally rejected making UFC games, now they make UFC games and there hasnt been a major boxing game in a decade. Boxing used to easily be a bigger PPV draw, now its the other way round. Boxers used to be easily the most famous combat sports athletes, now theres far more stars in MMA (look at social media followings, Youtube views and the range of names drawing on PPV), Conor is the biggest star in combat sports by far and old MMA fighters are fighting Youtubers and old retired boxers in boxing PPVs that outdraw serious boxing matches.

You have to be in willful denial to not notice all of this.
    Dude, you like MMA... Nothing is wrong with that. Nothing at all... Connor is the biggest star in combat sports? Lmao. Did you see his last purse compared to Canelo's. Who's the biggest star? Dude just relax man. MMA is cool. It's not boxing... That's all there is to it.

Leave a comment:

• TMLT87
    replied
    it's been DECADES
    Nope. In practical terms its been 2005 to now. The UFC was blacklisted off of PPV and from running a lot of venues from 1997 until 2001 when Zuffa bought it dirt cheap. The no1 MMA org was in Japan until the UFC started gaining traction after The Ultimate Fighter debuted. The sport wasnt even called "MMA" until the 00s for ****s sake.

Lol "closed the gap"... lmao.
    Geez do I really need to point out all the ways this is true?

It used to be on Spike tv, now its on ESPN outdrawing Top Rank on the same network. It used to be either ignored or reviled by mainstream media, now it gets the same level of coverage as boxing. EA used to make boxing games and actually originally rejected making UFC games, now they make UFC games and there hasnt been a major boxing game in a decade. Boxing used to easily be a bigger PPV draw, now its the other way round. Boxers used to be easily the most famous combat sports athletes, now theres far more stars in MMA (look at social media followings, Youtube views and the range of names drawing on PPV), Conor is the biggest star in combat sports by far and old MMA fighters are fighting Youtubers and old retired boxers in boxing PPVs that outdraw serious boxing matches. The MMA ban in NYC was only lifted in 2016, the biggest fight events there since are UFC cards.

You have to be in willful denial to not notice all of this.
    Last edited by TMLT87; 06-14-2021, 10:51 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Lomadeaux
    replied
    Lol "closed the gap"... lmao.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X