Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Claressa Shields Makes MMA Debut, Stops Brittney Elkin in Third

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dakuwaqa View Post

You're comparing net worths with fight purses. Not the same thing
    Net worth is extremely important. Marginal female MMA fighters net worth 6 figures and if invested wisely can live the rest of their lives off of it. Try having a marginal professional boxer male and especially female net worth 6 figures....it doesn’t happen. Marginal boxers live poor and will retire poor. Long term MMA just has a better product, better match ups and longevity. If boxing were to change that dynamic would change with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Boxingfanatic75 View Post

Net worth is extremely important. Marginal female MMA fighters net worth 6 figures and if invested wisely can live the rest of their lives off of it. Try having a marginal professional boxer male and especially female net worth 6 figures....it doesn’t happen. Marginal boxers live poor and will retire poor. Long term MMA just has a better product, better match ups and longevity. If boxing were to change that dynamic would change with it.
      I wouldn't say the list you posted was purely marginal boxers. You said that it was a falsehood that no female boxer has made more than $450,000 for a fight. Post a link if there has been a bigger fight purse I'm interested to know.

Let's talk the mens division. Which MMA fighters and boxers would you class as marginal. We can compare an contrast career earnings

Comment

MMA is an easy sport for high level boxers to enter. However they have to be relatively young. Most MMA fighters come from one discipline. That might be wrestling, Kickboxing, BJJ etc. Then as young adults they learn the other areas of the game. A boxer would be no different.

If you look at two of the best champions in UFC. Both Adesanya and Ngannou came from striking sports and learned to grapple as adults.

A hard hitting athletic boxer young enough to dedicate 4-5 years to MMA would be a nightmare. You only need 'talent' in one area. You can get by being decent at the rest and have huge success.
        Up to a point, yeah. I think theres still a ceiling though for the most part. Your defensive grappling can be developed enough to take you pretty far but eventually you're likely gonna run into a Khabib, an usman, a DC etc etc.

Bear in mind Adesanya is a kickboxer so he already had a lot of extra tools for MMA which has saved him time. As for Ngannou, I think HW in both sports is much easier for someone to transition into because the overall level of skill and athleticism is relatively weak, doesnt hurt (for him) that HW MMA is in one of its weakest eras either.

Originally posted by Boxingfanatic75 View Post

Long term however MMA is in a far better position than boxing. Last year as boxing continued to hemmorage MMA in almost every PPV event eclipsed 1 million buys. Boxing is lucky to see 1 million buys unless it is an “exhibition.” People won’t face reality of our sport until it hits them in the face.
        And MMA pay is ****ing huge now compared to 20 years ago, I expect top MMA guys will be making top boxer money in the 2030s at that rate of growth.

Comment

I wouldn't say the list you posted was purely marginal boxers. You said that it was a falsehood that no female boxer has made more than $450,000 for a fight. Post a link if there has been a bigger fight purse I'm interested to know.

Let's talk the mens division. Which MMA fighters and boxers would you class as marginal. We can compare an contrast career earnings
          Jessica Aguilar 19-4 net worth 1.3 mil. We can’t name a single female let alone a male with 4 losses having a net worth of 1.3 million

Marloes Coenen – $1.5 million 22-6.
          Hitomi Akano – $950,000 18-10. 18 and 10!!!
          in boxing that fighter would be lucky to touch 30k
          Sara McMann – $800,000 10-2 most boxers that young into career with already 2 losses wouldn’t touch 10k net worth

these stats were at the time the article was published so records may have shifted. The bottom line is at one point losses in boxing weren’t seen as they are now. MMA just has a better product and marketing apparatus. In addition a loss in MMA isn’t seen as it is in boxing. Mayweather, promoters and Managers and their ilk have ruined boxing. The ONLY fighter making the big money are the elite. You’re either rich or you’re dirt poor there’s very little in between. In MMA marginal fighters of all stripes can make a really good living. And think about it these are just the FEMALES

Comment

Originally posted by TMLT87 View Post

Up to a point, yeah. I think theres still a ceiling though for the most part. Your defensive grappling can be developed enough to take you pretty far but eventually you're likely gonna run into a Khabib, an usman, a DC etc etc.

Bear in mind Adesanya is a kickboxer so he already had a lot of extra tools for MMA which has saved him time. As for Ngannou, I think HW in both sports is much easier for someone to transition into because the overall level of skill and athleticism is relatively weak, doesnt hurt (for him) that HW MMA is in one of its weakest eras either.

Yeah I do think Ngannou has the attributes to be successful in any era though. No ones beating Khabib at 155. He’s a close to unbeatable as you get. No wrestler is beating him either.

Imagine a Murat Gassiev as a purple belt with 5 years of defence wrestling. Granite chin, punches outrageously hard. I’d give him a legit chance vs Jones Jones or DC.

Comment

Yeah I do think Ngannou has the attributes to be successful in any era though. No ones beating Khabib at 155. He’s a close to unbeatable as you get. No wrestler is beating him either.

Imagine a Murat Gassiev as a purple belt with 5 years of defence wrestling. Granite chin, punches outrageously hard. I’d give him a legit chance vs Jones Jones or DC.
              Ngannou would do well in any era but if you send him back a decade to the UFC division of the time or the Strikeforce GP i'm not convinced he reaches the top like hes managed to now. Theres just not many well rounded, athletic HWs in their prime around right now, Gane is probably the best possible challenger but his lack of power would probably be his downfall vs Ngannou.

Eh, I think hypothetical purple belt Gassiev would lose to prime DC, Jones, Rumble, Bader, Davis, Gus, Glover and probably others tbh. Having said that, current 205 is far removed from those days, its possibly even worse than HW now.

Comment

Originally posted by Dreamking View Post

Not a single Woman in MMA has EVER made 7 figures. The #1 paid fighter has only made 450k. Women will get paid better when they bring in the views. Simple as that.
                Not true. Simple as that.

Comment

fair play to her, taking on a new sport is very tough, i hope she gets what she wants out of it

Comment

Originally posted by buddyr View Post

cmon man, now you know anyone can win a belt today. Some people are fighting for belts in their 4th or 5th fight with the WBO becoming a major title and the 3 or 4 titles the WBA has. I'm a fan and have been since her first gold medal, but as I said last week, these fighters today complaining about exposure and being a star, fighting twice a year won't do early in your career. I hope she's successful at what she does, but I dont like the current boxing model of 2 or 3 fights a year for 20 year olds. and then complaining about not being a star when they have never fought on free tv
                    Sure. But as mentioned she was also #1 in 3 divisions also. That's bigger than a belt. How many divisions DOES she need to be #1 in before she deserves 7 digit paydays? The answer is it don't even matter cuz there is no money in female boxing. There is money in female MMA. That's my point not the side topic of belts or #1 in a division.

Comment

This is why a UFC fighter should never enter a boxing ring. They'll just get beat on until the fight is stopped. It's a bad match up for both sides. The first two rounds proved that boxers should stay in their lanes as well

Comment

Working...
                      X