Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Canelo's Stoppage of Saunders Reignites Boxing Debate About Quitting

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stopping the fight over an injury that no longer allows you to be competitive is common sense and not quitting. You lost due to injury, accept that and move on. Rigondeaux stopping the fight against Loma when he had no injury - that's quitting. Appreciate the context, people. And even then I don't blame Rigo - he realized that he has no chance to change the course of the fight, there is even something courageous about admitting it.

Comment

It is foolish, not brave to die in the ring. Nothing honorable about leaving your loved ones without a father, brother, son, cousin, friend over a sporting contest. This isn't a real life war, its just a sport at the end of the day.

Most of the people commenting about fighters being pu$$y would quit in a heartbeat themselves.

Comment

Originally posted by FinlandsFinest View Post
        It is foolish, not brave to die in the ring. Nothing honorable about leaving your loved ones without a father, brother, son, cousin, friend over a sporting contest. This isn't a real life war, its just a sport at the end of the day.

Most of the people commenting about fighters being pu$$y would quit in a heartbeat themselves.
        Not me. He quit like a coward simple and plain. the fighters know the risk.

MEXGBP MEXGBP likes this.

Comment

Yes, it makes BJS seem like a hypocrite, but I think a broken face and all the flak he's been getting is enough punishment for his trash talking.
          • Canelo hits like a truck and BJS's face was moving into the punch.
          • The fracture wasn't just a "regular" fracture; his face looked like it had caved in.
          • Fractures anywhere in the body are painful, let alone fractures near the eye.
          • There's a reason why the eyes are surrounded by bones: It's because eyes are fragile.
          • If BJS continued fighting, he could have gone blind.

Comment

There’s no shame in not being able to continue when your face gets caved in.
            For BJS though he made comments that he’ll go out there no matter what and would fight with two broken eye sockets etc.. And yet he didn’t hesitate or fight back when they stopped it. He clearly wanted out. F him.

Comment

Originally posted by T.M.T View Post
              ———-
              Someday, like Saunders, you too will get humbled. Pride always comes before a fall.
              Repens Repens likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by Scopedog View Post
                It's not the intrinsic act of withdrawing from the fight following an orbital fracture that's the main reason he's getting flak, at least not by most reasonable people. These types of injuries can threaten your whole career or even your eyesight, so it's not cowardly to pull out if you suffer that kind of injury, it's just sensible. However, in this case it's the hypocrisy of him making macho-man comments about how real men never quit following the Dubois fight only for him to do a total 180 on it when it was his turn that's making him a lightning rod for scorn and mockery. In fact, it's even more hypocritical because Dubois fought 8 rounds with his fracture before finally pulling out of the fight, whereas Saunders bowed out almost immediately. Of course, we already know that Saunders is a hypocrite when he made comments about Canelo being a cheater who should be hung drawn and quartered when that positive test came back only for his own piss to come back radioactive not that long after.

I agree with the sentiment of the article that there are too many knucklehead keyboard warriors who've never been between the ropes for even one minute calling honest fighters cowards for not risking going blind in one eye just for the sake of the crowd's amusement, but I'm not going to go out of my way to argue the point for Saunders' sake. This entire fight has been a long-overdue karmic readjustment for one of boxing's most wretched personalities.
                beautifully put!

Comment

A corner/doctor stoppage was absolutely the correct decision to the injuries described

The mistake was BJS's comments following the Debois defeat
                  Boxing's a sport not a battle to inflict serious harm

Comment

Originally posted by T.M.T View Post
                    Of course of course...not you...of course

Comment

Yea yea....another Brit just doing what they do best....QUIT......LOL nothing to see here folks.

Comment

Working...
                      X