Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Canelo's Stoppage of Saunders Reignites Boxing Debate About Quitting

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Canelo's Stoppage of Saunders Reignites Boxing Debate About Quitting

Billy Joe Saunders spent the better portion of the week leading up to his bout with Canelo Alvarez doing everything he possibly could to pester his opponent. Days before the fight, Saunders insisted he was prepared to bow out of the contest if the size of the ring wasn't increased to at least 22 feet. Organizers were forced to believe him, or at least prepare for the possibility that he was serious, and arranged for both John Ryder and Carlos Gongora to be on-site in Arlington, TX as emergency backup opponents.
    [Click Here To Read More]

it should reignite a debate about steroid abuse.

canelo putting fighters lives at risk. destroying callum's arm, destroying saunder's face and ko'ing senior citizen kovalev.
    Boxing-1013 Boxing-1013 likes this.

Comment

saunders waited 5 years to collect 2.5 million instead of fighting ggg for 1.5 million. ducking does pay off folks. obviously ignoring the multiplier effect of beating ggg and improving his purses afterward. remember when that was a "lowball" canelo is the biggest star in boxing and he only makes a little more than fighting ggg who is nowhere near canelos level. lowball doe!
      TinAgeOfBoxing TinAgeOfBoxing likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by Divine Hammer View Post
        it should reignite a debate about steroid abuse.

canelo putting fighters lives at risk. destroying callum's arm, destroying saunder's face and ko'ing senior citizen kovalev.
        I have my suspicions too.

About BJS, I can't believe anyone genuinely thinks he should have continued fighting the brutal punching Canelo when half the bones in his face were crushed an inch inwards!

I think a lot of people don't understand what they are looking at and either copy other peoples opinions or just automatically take a negative view of the guy. Robots basically.

Comment

The first time Saunders takes a hard punch to the face and he quits that round. Plant is just as soft with a cowardly resume and no power same as Saunders.

Comment

Every time someone quits, the legend of the 'Bronze-Bomber' Deontay Wilder grows.

How many times has Eddie Hearn made excuses for these Matchroom weenies? Their top stars have quit on PPV : Anthony Joshua, Kell Brook, Billy-Hoe Saunders, have devalued the PPV market by their cowardly surrender. The whole card was ruined : Nagy Aguilera quit or took dive vs. Frank Sanchez on the undercard ; Katsunari Takayama flew across the world for a premature stoppage vs. Elwin Soto.

But yeah, Deontay Wilder is a real G.
            Marchegiano Marchegiano likes this.

Comment

IF the injury is as they claim nobody should have expected or even wanted BJS to continue. I’m not here to see someone blinded.

Comment

when the cutman applied pressure with that enswell I could only imagine he felt crunchy bone brittle and told Tibbs, “this is really bad…”

Comment

It's not the intrinsic act of withdrawing from the fight following an orbital fracture that's the main reason he's getting flak, at least not by most reasonable people. These types of injuries can threaten your whole career or even your eyesight, so it's not cowardly to pull out if you suffer that kind of injury, it's just sensible. However, in this case it's the hypocrisy of him making macho-man comments about how real men never quit following the Dubois fight only for him to do a total 180 on it when it was his turn that's making him a lightning rod for scorn and mockery. In fact, it's even more hypocritical because Dubois fought 8 rounds with his fracture before finally pulling out of the fight, whereas Saunders bowed out almost immediately. Of course, we already know that Saunders is a hypocrite when he made comments about Canelo being a cheater who should be hung drawn and quartered when that positive test came back only for his own piss to come back radioactive not that long after.

I agree with the sentiment of the article that there are too many knucklehead keyboard warriors who've never been between the ropes for even one minute calling honest fighters cowards for not risking going blind in one eye just for the sake of the crowd's amusement, but I'm not going to go out of my way to argue the point for Saunders' sake. This entire fight has been a long-overdue karmic readjustment for one of boxing's most wretched personalities.

Comment

It shouldn't even be a choice.

Suspected orbital fracture... should be as much "fight over" as not being able to defend yourself.

In boxing we leave a lot of the injury withdrawals to either the boxer or the trainer. Boxers make bad decisions, and we've seen with Dubois that trainers aren't always fit to make those calls. In my opinion these decisions should pass to the doctor.

Oh, and Dubois' trainer should never be allowed in a corner again.
                    landotter landotter likes this.

Comment

Working...
                    X