No announcement yet.

The demise of the American heavyweight

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The plunger man View Post
    I think my argument with this guys was they was arguing that NFL is what these big guys rather go for and I was just proving that if you are an amateur and you have a future has a heavyweight professional and then you make it say like a Joshua , Tyson , Lewis or fury the money they make is far bigger than the top NFL player so money is not really an excuse when they say all the big guys jump ship to NFL rather than pursue a career they trained from a young age.
    I don’t know about the fabric of sport in a america but I am pretty sure from the inner suburbs and projects there 100 of guys that could become the next Mike Tyson or Evander Holyfield.
    Not every big man is good at NFL and not every big guy wants to play NFL ......Maybe the powers of boxing is more than the problem
    The politics of boxing has put the sport on life support, but also keep in mind that in North America (mainly the USA) you get a free ride scholarship if youre good enough at football/basketball/etc. Boxing isn't a sport they give scholarships for last I checked, so that may be another factor. Not everyone wants to be an athlete. I dated a girl about 15 years ago, her brother was 6'10 and played basketball his whole life, got a free ride scholarship to a pretty good school in the States, then used that to jump into his career. By that time he hated basketball and just used it to get the schooling.

boxing gyms are next to non existant too. It's a shame, because boxing teaches you a lot of discipline and life skills that football does not.

Comment

Sigh, if I'm going to take part in this debate, I feel like it should be known that I really dislike American Football as a sport (European football too, Both bore me)

Comment

Originally posted by PRINCEKOOL View Post
        I don't think it has anything to do with the NFL, boxing has always been a really tough sport to participate in 'Throughout history' it has never been a golden ticket.

To pursue any individual sport you need something different about you 'Society may be losing that' in certain area's.

Combat sports attract a certain type of individual, that may be disappearing 'There are a lot of options now with the improvement of education'.

that’s probably the very best answer on this topic....society is fast becoming woke and without having a certain metal or fortitude in you it’s very hard career to pursue and compete at and only certain guys can take that.....yeah special and different 100 percent.
        The other week I watched the stiopic vs ngannou 2 fight and I looked at the VIP audience how they dressed & Acted told me all I needed to know about the social media world we live in.
        America is dominated by fake celebrities and social media creations and it seems to have had a negative affect on it and that’s not a knock ...it’s not personal fella

Comment

Originally posted by TMLT87 View Post

America has stopped dominating that as well now that the talent pool has gotten more international. Surprise surprise the same excuses are starting to pop up over that too.
          very honest answer ....good to see that

Comment

Originally posted by Mmann2e View Post

Dak Prescott is getting paid that for 7 years is the best Heavyweight getting paid 31 million for 7 years? Are they getting Mike 426 million for 10 years which is 35 million per year or Russell Westbrooks 41 million which increase till 2022 or Pat Mahomes 450 million which is 45 million a year.
            if you remain top of the division and your heavyweight champion and if you ply that to a Joshua or even more Mike Tyson then yeah they will.......Joshua got 40 million for the first Ruiz fight and then got another 86 million for the Ruiz rematch ....then if you now add in both the fury fights and the talk is both will earn 80 million per fight...that’s another 160 million so in the space of 3 years joshua will have earned 286 million and that’s including a year of corona..
            It’s a weak argument as your highlighting the most talented NFL players who in all honesty is in a different league to a former boxer who decides to go the NFL route.
            if Mike Tyson was around today he would smash any NFL players salary out the ballpark and Anthony Joshua would as well.......The mayweather vs pacquaio fight did as well

Comment

Thank god all your physical talent goes into the NFL & basketball.

Comment

Originally posted by Blond Beast View Post

Im with you. There’s only so many spots at heavyweight to be able to earn millions. There’s what 52 guys on each nfl team and the average salary is 860k or something. But most of the guys making that little don’t even see the field. The nfl is mostly Americans. The more American heavies there are the more they are in competition with themselves. In boxing you are in the ring yourself, you don’t have a team surrounding you. In the NFL the QB is the most exposed player. They get lauded and criticized the most. Bad QBs don’t win superbowls. Most of the QBs in the nfl are considered “bad”. That’s why there isn’t an endless supply of good QBs, most get paid a ton and crap out. Heavyweight Boxing is much more exposing. Nobody likes to get punched in the face. I played rugby and football, but it’s not the same as taking and delivering punches in just a pair of shorts. Boxing won’t get you a bunch of endorsements. Boxers don’t marry famous people like the other sports. It takes so many things to come together to get to the top in boxing. A loss in boxing can cost you so much, that’s why fights are so hard to make. It’s a brutal road. There’s ingrained systems for the other sports to help you along the way. There’s a huge stigma against boxing too. There’s a lot of obvious reasons against people getting into boxing especially if they have other options.
                NFL has always been around and it’s not just appeared....we know boxing is hard and we know only certain breeds take to it....you live boxing you don’t partake in it that’s always been the case....Boxing has always 99% of the time been about kids from the rundown areas , inner cities , ghettos , projects , council estates and most Kids from those environments are not so lucky to get scholarships or invited to take up NFL

Comment

Originally posted by _Rexy_ View Post
                  Sigh, if I'm going to take part in this debate, I feel like it should be known that I really dislike American Football as a sport (European football too, Both bore me)
                  me to ....I couldn’t give a rats ass about football and I have no idea what the rules are and why American football is played.....I prefer boxing , I like track and field but boxing when it’s truly the fight of the gods nothing beats it.....I grew up watching the big fights and I still get the shakes when a massive fight is about to begin....you know you love boxing when you look at a spit and saw dust gym and you think wow that’s where legends are made and not think about it’s new renovation and lick of paint lol

_Rexy_ _Rexy_ likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by The plunger man View Post
                    me to ....I couldn’t give a rats ass about football and I have no idea what the rules are and why American football is played.....I prefer boxing , I like track and field but boxing when it’s truly the fight of the gods nothing beats it.....I grew up watching the big fights and I still get the shakes when a massive fight is about to begin....you know you love boxing when you look at a spit and saw dust gym and you think wow that’s where legends are made and not think about it’s new renovation and lick of paint lol
                    hahaha yup, that smell of sweat and copper (blood) when you walk in the door, all the heavybags with duct tape wrapped around the middle....bringing back memories here hahaha

does the new generation even know what a medicine ball is?

Comment

Originally posted by _Rexy_ View Post

hahaha yup, that smell of sweat and copper (blood) when you walk in the door, all the heavybags with duct tape wrapped around the middle....bringing back memories here hahaha

does the new generation even know what a medicine ball is?
                      yeah lol........I use to wake up early Sunday mornings and go to the gym for open sparring sessions from other gyms all over the country......some people walked there dogs , others went to church , me I use to go to the gym and come home with a busted lip , black eye or injured hand lol
                      that was my Sunday hahaha

Comment

Working...
                      X