No announcement yet.

The demise of the American heavyweight

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The demise of the American heavyweight

It’s almost 25 years since America last had any great heavyweight fighters in boxing and not since the days of riddick bowe , Evander Holyfield and a come backing Mike Tyson have they battled for the top position in the division.
    Its got to the point where the USA boxing fan will simply ignore the fighters actual lack boxing skill and still insist that the fighter belongs at the top of the division.
    has the American fan lost all rationality to actually accept the quality of there heavyweights now ? Or will they simply ignore what the world actually sees ?
    The U.K. and Europe has for over 25 years dominated that division and what’s the reason for it
    The U.K. has 4 fighters in the top 10 with with 2 of them at the top with all the belts and 3rd and 4th closely behind with a population of 68 million.
    The USA has 2 fighters in bottom end of the top 10 with a population of 330 million.
    what went wrong ?

NFL salaries went up exponentially while Europe and the rest of the world caught up at the same time.

Comment

- -Problem is cultural. No mother wants their son looking like 40 yr old Ali, Big Dummy, or Field when they can potentially make $ in basketball or rap.
      siablo14 likes this.

Comment

The American talent goes into other sports, that's why most American HWs are failed football players.

The same happened to the West Indies in cricket after the 80s, the top talent was poached away.

Comment

Originally posted by Mushashi View Post
          NFL salaries went up exponentially while Europe and the rest of the world caught up at the same time.
          I don’t particularly agree...most people take up boxing because of there passion for it not to make millions from it..it’s that kind of sport and not every big man will be talented at NFL and I know for a fact if a new version of Mike Tyson emerged in the states he literally would break the bank ..we all saw what kind of money the mayweather vs pacquiao fight made so the money is there for the right fighter...there just don’t seem to be big men coming from America at the moment and it has more to do with it than just NFL.
          the heavyweight title is still the most coveted titles in the world and there should be loads of Americans wanting to become that

Comment

Originally posted by denium View Post
            The American talent goes into other sports, that's why most American HWs are failed football players.

The same happened to the West Indies in cricket after the 80s, the top talent was poached away.
            I think if your talented at boxing you would not then head off to another sport...yeah maybe the regular guy would but that’s a different ball game...no other feeling will make you feel as good as being the heavyweight champion of the world...with the social media as it is now if a new Mike Tyson came along he would become the most recognisable face in the world and would probably become the first billionaire in boxing

Comment

Originally posted by The plunger man View Post
              I don’t particularly agree...most people take up boxing because of there passion for it not to make millions from it..it’s that kind of sport and not every big man will be talented at NFL and I know for a fact if a new version of Mike Tyson emerged in the states he literally would break the bank ..we all saw what kind of money the mayweather vs pacquiao fight made so the money is there for the right fighter...there just don’t seem to be big men coming from America at the moment and it has more to do with it than just NFL.
              the heavyweight title is still the most coveted titles in the world and there should be loads of Americans wanting to become that

Bro just say you want to rub American noses in UK ruling the heavyweight division and call it a thread.

And no it's not just the NFL, it's the NBA and baseball too. If you make it to a high level you can get a college education to fall back on or play in the minor leagues. There's also the popularity of UFC in across North America to contend with.

Benchwarmers in the Big 3 American Leagues probably make the same or more money than world champion boxers

And yes people take up boxing for the glory and not money, I guess that's why it's called prizefighting after all

Comment

Bro just say you want to rub American noses in UK ruling the heavyweight division and call it a thread.

And no it's not just the NFL, it's the NBA and baseball too. If you make it to a high level you can get a college education to fall back on or play in the minor leagues. There's also the popularity of UFC in across North America to contend with.

Benchwarmers in the Big 3 American Leagues probably make the same or more money than world champion boxers

And yes people take up boxing for the glory and not money, I guess that's why it's called prizefighting after all
                I’m not doing it with you...I also miss the days of seeing a great USA heavyweight fight like we use to see some time ago...bowe vs Holyfield Holmes vs coney etc
                am I sticking it to some of the PBC cronies who still won’t accept what the actual facts are.....yeah a little but not the reason.
                I did go and watch the heavyweights in MSG and Las Vegas and I’m baffled why America has not become a non entity in the heavyweight division

Comment

No one takes up any sport as a kid for money, they do it because they think its fun.

Comment

Reading this thread while remembering Andy Ruiz knocked out AJ and Oliver McCall knocked out Lennox Lewis.
                    kushking likes this.

Comment

Working...
                    X