Collapse
No announcement yet.

The demise of the American heavyweight

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The sports argument is a red herring. People from the US don't seem to realise that other countries have professional sports leagues.

I would have thought it's pretty simple. Boxing isn't popular in the US. Who are the parents putting their kids into boxing?

Comment

• Originally posted by Toffee View Post
      The sports argument is a red herring. People from the US don't seem to realise that other countries have professional sports leagues.

I would have thought it's pretty simple. Boxing isn't popular in the US. Who are the parents putting their kids into boxing?
      It's not a red herring and posters in this thread have done a good job explaining why.

Comment

• Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post

Yea basically this in a nutshell.

I think the US amateur program has gone downhill in recent decades as other programs have caught up as well.

I think big guys in the US got far less risky options with far more chances of success in non-combat sports than big guys in other countries got. If you are the 20th best HW in the world you probably are making 6 digits a year, but if you are the 20th best guy in the NFL or NBA you are making 7 or 8 digits a year & potentially have a college degree to fall back on if things go south. Only if you are #1 or maybe top 3 does boxing start looking better money-wise. And the risk in boxing is always gonna look nasty compared to other sports which is likely a key component of parents pushing their kids into other more acceptable sports with easier access. Football & Basketball are supported from summer leagues to elementary school to high school to college to the paid ranks. Boxing is some weird sport off to the side that poor people with no options compete in to most parents who have no previous connection to boxing I imagine.

I think boxing was coasting for a few generations based on it's popularity in the old days up til like the 80's, but now these other sporting roads seem much more visible with the knowledge parents have. And generally it's the parents pushing kids into or out of a sport more than a kid is just gonna do what he wants to do.

Plus I think there has been a pussification going on that has made the toughness needed to train boxing, to spar, to endure what one has to endure in boxing & the grind to the top that has all kinds of pitfalls beyond you losing a fight leans kids into not going into the sport. Boxing as a sport & business is a cesspool of fookery & bs most have no desire to enter unless there are literally no other options. This is why there are so many talented lil guys cuz lil guys generally have few sporting options in any country. So the lil guy who hates school & has any ambition beyond a 9 to 5 job can either compete in combat sports or become a horse jockey.
        Agreed to everything you've said here.

The Big 3 American sports accommodate the bigger athletes and there are more accessible pathways into the major leagues if you're talented enough to make it.

That's why I mentioned AJ previously. He entered boxing late but when he was younger he had promising potential as a sprinter. Rugby or Rugby League are the only major big man sports in the UK unless you want throw a shot put or javelin or some shh. Rugby as I said is elitist, played predominantly by upper middle class and privately educated kids. Rugby League is a different code of rugby, popular in Northern England. His opportunities despite being athletic are limited because he had less avenues into pro sports growing up in Britain and being his size too.

Your last point is what I think OP was trying to get at in between bashing PBC supporters. You need a special type of mentality or toughness to make it inside a boxing ring that's lacking in other non-combat sports. A lot of kids don't want to take those lumps you need to endure to be great. And who can blame them, I'm here talking about boxing behind a screen, that's not me getting punched for a living. No sir

Comment

• Originally posted by Mushashi View Post

Bro just say you want to rub American noses in UK ruling the heavyweight division and call it a thread.

And no it's not just the NFL, it's the NBA and baseball too. If you make it to a high level you can get a college education to fall back on or play in the minor leagues. There's also the popularity of UFC in across North America to contend with.

Benchwarmers in the Big 3 American Leagues probably make the same or more money than world champion boxers

And yes people take up boxing for the glory and not money, I guess that's why it's called prizefighting after all
          This should be stickied and thread closed.

Comment

• Originally posted by REDEEMER View Post

So why was A.J able to sell out MSG in his U.S debut ? That excuse that U.S don’t care about boxing is laughable.

I would put money on Mike on mushrooms to still knock out Wilder .
            Mike Tyson on his podcast and youtube channel pulls in more consistant income with less effort then AJ or Fury We aren't even counting his farm yet.

Comment

• Originally posted by strykr619 View Post

Mike Tyson on his podcast and youtube channel pulls in more consistant income with less effort then AJ or Fury We aren't even counting his farm yet.
              Well he has a video game that still people play from the 80”s . Fury or A.J doesn’t have a personalized boxing game his income today Is consist but I’d still take A.Js bank account anyway and his sponsors . I think that’s because no one face today has been recognized as the sole guy . Maybe after this fight there will be no question ? A.J is also a promoter himself people forget that he is a living entity on social media as well, you can’t really compare the 2 bc Don King also got richer then Tyson , A.J runs things .
              Last edited by REDEEMER; 04-18-2021, 12:18 AM.

Comment

Working...
              X