No announcement yet.

Pacquiao's Adviser Prefers Cotto Next, Not Mayweather

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by handler000 View Post
    Your correct no counter argument. Fighting JMM after 2 year lay off is much harder than fighting a tomatoe can like Michael Jennings for a VACANT belt. I understand Cotto's strategy why fight the champions when you can wait them out..
    arum told cotto either fight jennings for the title or sit out until margarito rematch. i would take the $3 million dollars and a title than sit out and wait for a fighter

Comment

• Originally posted by tyde13 View Post
      idk dave, i get the feeling arum may actually push for the cotto fight, assuming he beats clottey, and i don't think we'd get much protest from pacman or roach
      Arum wants Pac to fight Cotto because (a) he hates Hayman, (b) he would make more money because both fighters are under his banner, and (c) he wants to keep Cotto sweet, because Cotto has been hinting at leaving him.

Roach and Pac would both prefer Pac to fight Mayweather but would also be happy with a Cotto fight.

I don't know who will win that tussle, but it will be behind the scenes.

Promoters have a huge amount of influence over what matches get made. Darchinyan and Donaire want to fight each other, but their promoters don't want to make the fight, so the fight won't happen.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dave Rado View Post
        Arum wants Pac to fight Cotto because (a) he hates Hayman, (b) he would make more money because both fighters are under his banner, and (c) he wants to keep Cotto sweet, because Cotto has been hinting at leaving him.

Roach and Pac would both prefer Pac to fight Mayweather but would also be happy with a Cotto fight.

I don't know who will win that tussle, but it will be behind the scenes.

Promoters have a huge amount of influence over what matches get made. Darchinyan and Donaire want to fight each other, but their promoters don't want to make the fight, so the fight won't happen.
        yeah, i don't think pac/hatton cares who he fights as long as its for he most money.. pbf/pac would make more than pac/cotto, but pbf will be asking for too much money

Comment

• Originally posted by oc9979 View Post
          arum told cotto either fight jennings for the title or sit out until margarito rematch. i would take the $3 million dollars and a title than sit out and wait for a fighter
          No NO and NO...He was already signed to fight Jennings before Paul vacated title.
          http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/box...ory?id=3702662
          http://www.boxingscene.com/?m=show&id=17449

Comment

• To those that say Manny vs Floyd (if he beats JMM) makes the most sense, you are not looking at the big picture. Cotto deserves his shot.

What you need to remember is Floyd, less than two years ago, bailed on the sport and the fights that made the most sense.

Will Floyd bail and leave the sport picking up the pieces again? He left the sport last time with no thought of the void he would leave behind by denying the fans of what they wanted. He comes back and immediately wants a piece of the top dog. Well he has to get in line. While Floyd abandoned the sport, Cotto and Mosley were out there still fighting top names. They deserve the chance at super stardom.

Folks that is all that matters. Floyd will get his chance at the winner, but he will simply have to wait. He does not deserve to have the sport wrapped around his finger while others out there are elevating the sport and showing the heart and fortitude, that represents the sport in the most positive light.

There is no way you can successfully argue the points I made above. Floyd is now getting the blind eye but he brought this on himself.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dorruel View Post
              If Pwill wraps his hands with plaster, maybe. But Cotto destroys Pauls body and makes him end up like another Quintana. Paul took 13 rounds to beat Carlos Cotto took 5 plus Carlos was undefeated when Cotto beat him. Paul is a bully who fights old fighters, he fights theWrights and thePhillips of the world. The black Joe calzaghe everyone Paul Williams. Styles make fights and Cottos body attack will reduce Pauls output. Cotto will give him angles just like carlos did, change into southpaw(something Miguel can do effectivly) and land the right hook on pauls shin(pauls sucker punch) Cotto by late TKO
              So if Cotto beats Williams then how come he didn't come back
              and fight him? I think this devastating Cotto body punching is
              overrated because when he has fought tougher guys than
              Gomez and Jennings he couldn't even put them down, hell
              he didn't even get to Margarito's body because of the pressure.
              I don't understand why some would think I hate on Miguel
              Cotto. I am not convinced of his skills like most are and that's
              basically it. So I debate with people who say that Cotto is
              so dominating but I just can't see it because technically I don't
              think he is there.

Comment

Your correct no counter argument. Fighting JMM after 2 year lay off is much harder than fighting a tomatoe can like Michael Jennings for a VACANT belt. I understand Cotto's strategy why fight the champions when you can wait them out..
                No one but no one would fight someone as tough as Williams immediately after taking a butal beating. Jennings was a tune-up fight, to keep active while waiting for a rematch with Margarito which was planned for this June. That fight fell through due to Margarito's hand wraps, so he agreed to fight Clottey instead, who everyone else had been avoiding. Only a complete hater would criticise him for that.

Comment

• Originally posted by FistoftheDallasStar View Post
                  Just because Cotto lost to a cheater doesn't make him any less of a fighter or a "best" in the Welterweight division. Just look at his resume and watch his fights.. yeah he's been staggered in a hand full of them but you know what he still fights anyone they put in front of him... ANYONE. You wish Mayweather had half the guts Cotto has as a fighter.
                  Dude I didn't even bash Cotto. I can't stand how you nuthugging *******s take even a whiff of decent against your fighters personally. I don't care if you think Floyd has guts, at the end of the day he is the best fighter in the sport PERIOD. THAT IS A FACT. YOU CANNOT DISPUTE IT. If you want to debate if Manny is better, they should settle it in the ring. IT IS THE BIGGEST FIGHT THAT CAN BE MADE so it should happen and AS A FAN OF BOXING you should want it to happen.

Comment

• Originally posted by deanrw View Post
                    To those that say Manny vs Floyd (if he beats JMM) makes the most sense, you are not looking at the big picture. Cotto deserves his shot.

What you need to remember is Floyd, less than two years ago, bailed on the sport and the fights that made the most sense.

Will Floyd bail and leave the sport picking up the pieces again? He left the sport last time with no thought of the void he would leave behind by denying the fans of what they wanted. He comes back and immediately wants a piece of the top dog. Well he has to get in line. While Floyd abandoned the sport, Cotto and Mosley were out there still fighting top names. They deserve the chance at super stardom.

Folks that is all that matters. Floyd will get his chance at the winner, but he will simply have to wait. He does not deserve to have the sport wrapped around his finger while others out there are elevating the sport and showing the heart and fortitude, that represents the sport in the most positive light.

There is no way you can successfully argue the points I made above. Floyd is now getting the blind eye but he brought this on himself.
                    Looking at it from that point of view then it makes sense because
                    Floyd did leave the sport on top and other fighters kept fighting
                    and working hard so with that said Floyd should wait in line
                    because the sport and life went on without him. BUT regardless
                    of what, people want to see Floyd and Pacquiao, but from a moral
                    stand point you make sense and I agree with all of the above.

Comment

No NO and NO...He was already signed to fight Jennings before Paul vacated title.
                      http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/box...ory?id=3702662
                      http://www.boxingscene.com/?m=show&id=17449
                      Neither of those articles say what you claim they say. They say nothing about the fight having been signed before Paul vacated his belt.

Comment

Working...
                      X