No announcement yet.

Ali vs Ezzard Charles

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rusty Tromboni View Post
    Maxim had great stamina, durability and a persistent jab.

Walcott's footwork influenced Ali's.

Marciano was great at slipping punches.

Do you see the connections?

Again, we're talking about a young Ali. A guy who struggled with Jones and needed smelling salts to survive Cooper, but it's clear that men smaller and less physically gifted than Ali held up well against Charles.

Mexican fighting styles!?!?!?!?

I would love to see a Mexican fighter who fought like Charles. Name just one.
    Your missing my point. No argument about Walcott and Marciano. I never said Charles fought like a Mexican fighter. i said he uses a similar technique... Some technical points overlap in different styles. Mexican fighters tend to throw rounded punches, they get in by using timing, among other tecniques. You throw the hooks at different speeds, confuse the timing so the opponent does not time and counter with a straight lead, or jab...

Charles would variate the speed and power of his punches, only throwing hard when he was certain he could connect.

Comment

Originally posted by billeau2 View Post
      Your missing my point. No argument about Walcott and Marciano. I never said Charles fought like a Mexican fighter. i said he uses a similar technique... Some technical points overlap in different styles. Mexican fighters tend to throw rounded punches, they get in by using timing, among other tecniques. You throw the hooks at different speeds, confuse the timing so the opponent does not time and counter with a straight lead, or jab...

Charles would variate the speed and power of his punches, only throwing hard when he was certain he could connect.
      Variate, huh?

Comment

Yeah basically mexican fighters were crafty, and Charles was just that. His style lends itself more from really really old fighters though, more so than mexican styles. He stands like a fencer. Mexican styles are very heavily technique based over athleticism. They also sort of replicate the dancing they use. Duran always fought like he had 2 moracas in his hands, not that he's mexican, but you get the idea.

You are dead on about his use of timing though, and trickery. He throws 80 percent bait punches, which is almost a bareknuckle strategy

Comment

Originally posted by them_apples View Post
          Yeah basically mexican fighters were crafty, and Charles was just that. His style lends itself more from really really old fighters though, more so than mexican styles. He stands like a fencer. Mexican styles are very heavily technique based over athleticism. They also sort of replicate the dancing they use. Duran always fought like he had 2 moracas in his hands, not that he's mexican, but you get the idea.

You are dead on about his use of timing though, and trickery. He throws 80 percent bait punches, which is almost a bareknuckle strategy
          - -Duran father was Mexican.

Comment

I have to clarify once again: Was not implying Charles fought like a Mexican trained stylist: Was pointing out an element, a technical cognate existing between the two approaches. It has to do with deliberately varying the speed of punches... call it a change up pitch.

Comment

I have to clarify once again: Was not implying Charles fought like a Mexican trained stylist: Was pointing out an element, a technical cognate existing between the two approaches. It has to do with deliberately varying the speed of punches... call it a change up pitch.
              Yeah I get that, I basically just reworded it for you. I agree though. Most people don't notice that about charles. Every shot he throws is slow EXCEPT the one he knocks you out with.

Comment

Yeah I get that, I basically just reworded it for you. I agree though. Most people don't notice that about charles. Every shot he throws is slow EXCEPT the one he knocks you out with.
                Its just some people here... they rant and do not read lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Rusty Tromboni View Post
                  Variate, huh?
                  You don't understand actual boxing though, your an armchair casual floating around on a history forum.

This is your greatest of all time list:

Fury
                  Wilder
                  Tommy Loughran

and I think you picked George Foreman as the greatest jr Welterweight of all time, I forget

Comment

You don't understand actual boxing though, your an armchair casual floating around on a history forum.

Fury
                    Wilder
                    Tommy Loughran

and I think you picked George Foreman as the greatest jr Welterweight of all time, I forget
                    Rusty is banking on a flood of extra chromosomed manchildren entering the thread... He will instruct them on the greatness that white pigmentation brings to the boxing game.

Queenie was a failed experiment, the next group will be more compliant and less combative...

Comment

Fury
                      Wilder
                      Tommy Loughran

You're adorable when you're angry.

Comment

Working...
                      X