No announcement yet.

Ali vs Ezzard Charles

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ali vs Ezzard Charles

To be clear I'd pick Ali in this fight, but i'm curious how it would go. Smaller quicker fighters seemed to give Ali the most trouble.

Doug Jones gave him plenty of work, Cooper dropped him, Foster cut him and forced Ali to go into Mike Tyson mode, and Frazier 5 ft 11 and 205 lbs was the first to beat him.

Charles is as slick as they come and defensively sound, not a risk taker and largely a counter puncher. He used the classic fencing strategy of throwing mostly bait punches and using his energy entirely for defense and counter punches. When you watch Charles, other than his quick and slippery defense, he rarely throws punches with anything on them, except at the most oppourtune times, like after making someone miss. often his knockout punch is fast and hard, its even unexpected for the third person viewer as they had become accustomed to his deliberate slower pace.

it was a common strategy for a lot of oldschool fighters, but he really took it to the next level. A more contemporary fighter that really did this well was Alexis Arguello. The explosive thin man set the pace with deliberate slower readable punches to get his oponents timing off, then when the oppourtunity came his hidden explosive lazer beam was unleashed and they werent ready for it.
    Last edited by them_apples; 11-02-2020, 11:02 PM.

The Charles who decisioned Louis may well be a little too much for a 'pre Liston' Ali. Charles looked great that night.

There are probably quite a few heavyweights who I would favour to beat a green 1962/63 version of Ali.

Comment

Originally posted by Sugarj View Post
      The Charles who decisioned Louis may well be a little too much for a 'pre Liston' Ali. Charles looked great that night.

There are probably quite a few heavyweights who I would favour to beat a green 1962/63 version of Ali.
      H

- -Poorly worded question by the OP

Comment

Charles stops Ali late.

Comment

Charles wouldn't even know where he was.

Comment

- -Where U dentures be Leffy?

Comment

I think it would be a difficult fight for Ali

Ali doesnt have that big heavyweight punch that lets him crush light heavies. He's got the heavyweight chin and light heavyweight speed.

Charles is more skilled than Ali though, so it would be an annoying and ugly fight for Ali, he would have to impost his heavyweight standard on the smaller fighter - which he often didn't like doing.

Charles is not easy to hit, his chin is good for a light heavy. These are the guys Ali had the most trouble with.

Comment

Charles fought far better opposition. Honed his skills against superior boxers. There is nothing Ali could show him that he hadn't seen before. Charles was the craftier of the two, the better technical boxer, and in my opinion would outbox Ali rather easily. UD for Charles.

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofDempsey View Post
                  Charles fought far better opposition. Honed his skills against superior boxers. There is nothing Ali could show him that he hadn't seen before. Charles was the craftier of the two, the better technical boxer, and in my opinion would outbox Ali rather easily. UD for Charles.
                  I see this happening for the first few rounds, but Ali isn't a chump in the heart department, he probably goes a bit outside of his style and turns into an agressor, eventually winning a ud or a late stoppage. I agree the first few rounds would be Charles making him look a bit ****** and catching him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eer1...nnel=BoxNights

Doug Jones vs Ali is a good measuring stick. keep in mind, Ali figured Jones would be an easy fight. He would probably take Charles a bit more serious

Comment

Originally posted by them_apples View Post
                    I see this happening for the first few rounds, but Ali isn't a chump in the heart department, he probably goes a bit outside of his style and turns into an agressor, eventually winning a ud or a late stoppage. I agree the first few rounds would be Charles making him look a bit ****** and catching him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eer1...nnel=BoxNights

Doug Jones vs Ali is a good measuring stick. keep in mind, Ali figured Jones would be an easy fight. He would probably take Charles a bit more serious
                    The upper hand for Charles was not just his experience or ring IQ, he was also very patient. He didn't push for the KO every round. He could take a fighter into deep waters, wait for his spots, study him and time him. Ali couldn't get away with his technical flaws of fighting with his hands at his sides or leaning back from punches. I can't see Charles knocking out Ali, because Ali's chin was too good, but I can see Charles doing enough to win a decision.

Comment

Working...
                    X