Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How many rounds would Marciano last against Wilder?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How many rounds would Marciano last against Wilder?

Marciano: 49-0 (43 KO)

Height: 5'10"
    Reach: 68 inches

Wilder: 43-0-1 (41 KO)

Height: 6'7"
    Reach:83 inches

Marciano has been cut and dropped before. But he always won, with an 87% KO percentage. 6 fights went the distance, ranging from 10 to 15 rounds.

How long would he last against Wilder's power?

you would be surprised how difficult Wilder would have trying to hit Rocky as he crouched in low. Considering Wilders mediocre toolset. It would be an awkward looking fight, with Wilder catching a beating.

Comment

Originally posted by South Champion View Post
      How long would he last against Wilder's power?
      - -What grade U in.

Rocky dropped 2x against HOFers still champions when he fought them, the last one holding the all time pro record for KOs.

Deyonce dropped twice by grade D journeymen.

U need U bibby changed?

Comment

This is kinda like Walker vs. Marciano.

The smaller man might make a really, really good showing of himself before catching a life-altering punch.

I think Marciano can last as long as Ortiz. He's so small and compact, it would actually make it difficult for Wilder to find him early.

Comment

Rocky's opponents found their greatest success against him by using superior boxing skills. They knew how to use a jab, create openings, counter punch, time an opponent, cut off the ring, create traps, etc. Charles, Moore, and Walcott were real boxers--something Wilder is not. Wilder would have a punchers chance to land the big right hand, but how does he set it up. Rocky would not just stand straight in front of him and let him throw a long, telegraphed right hand. Rocky is going to make it an inside fight, work the body and back up to the jaw. Long night for Wilder unless he can sneak in some big right hands clean on the button.

Comment

Size queens be warned!

Wilder is actually not a really big heavyweight. He has reach...like all of Marciano's opponents had on the rock.

All posters so far hit on the crouching that would frustrate Wilder. I do think Wilder has a gear that makes him a real danger... so yeah he could get that big punch. But Wilder has shown that he can be drilled.

to me the reason why this fight would not be close is simple: When Wilder is in against someone he respects as a fighter, he is a slow starter. Rock is not a slow starter... Rock hits first and last. wilder taken out before he knows what hit him. Ortiz who is a decent power puncher, in the last fight was not setting on his punches. But the first fight when he did? Wilder was almost beat. Rock hits that hard and more...and Rock comes in close.

Wilder may tag him like he did Ortiz, its possible, but not probable to my thinking.

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofDempsey View Post
              Rocky's opponents found their greatest success against him by using superior boxing skills. They knew how to use a jab, create openings, counter punch, time an opponent, cut off the ring, create traps, etc. Charles, Moore, and Walcott were real boxers--something Wilder is not. Wilder would have a punchers chance to land the big right hand, but how does he set it up. Rocky would not just stand straight in front of him and let him throw a long, telegraphed right hand. Rocky is going to make it an inside fight, work the body and back up to the jaw. Long night for Wilder unless he can sneak in some big right hands clean on the button.
              Wilder is often compared to Shavers due to them being in competition for single hardest punch (right hand) in Boxing history.

But really, he reminds me more of Johansson. Both guys were there to do one thing: lace you with that power punch. Everyone knew it was coming. That was no secret. But what no one ever knew was when, or how. The answer was pretty simple, though: when you least expected it. The second you relaxed, and showed a sense of calm, the hook was in and the reel was spinning.

Both are crude and limited. But you can't argue with their results. In Wilder's case, he hasn't driven his career off a ravine like Johansson did.

Anyway, all of Marciano's opponents found his chin. And not because they were crafty. They survived because they were crafty. But they found Marciano's chin because it was like a magnet. Wilder would, too.

This really does feel like comparing Sal Sanchez (who walked through monstrous punches) against Tommy Hearns. Or Mickey Walker (Boxing's toughest ever) against Schmelling.

Comment

Originally posted by billeau2 View Post
                Wilder is actually not a really big heavyweight. He has reach...like all of Marciano's opponents had on the rock.
                That's like saying HEarns and Robinson weren't big Welterweights.

Tell it to the guys who fought them.

That length is leverage. And the 30 pounds Wilder has on Marciano would be like the 30 pound advantage Marciano would have on Monzon (who was at least the same heighth as Marciano).

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofDempsey View Post
                  I'd hate to say it too, these guys Wilder are putting away aren't Rocky either. I couldn't see Rocky being snoozed cold by Wilder, hurt at some point maybe. I just see a way higher chance of Rocky hurting him than Wilder landing on Rocky.

Comment

Originally posted by them_apples View Post
                    I'd hate to say it too, these guys Wilder are putting away aren't Rocky either. I couldn't see Rocky being snoozed cold by Wilder, hurt at some point maybe. I just see a way higher chance of Rocky hurting him than Wilder landing on Rocky.
                    Rocky was knocked down twice in his career. A short left hook by Walcott and a short right hand by Moore. Short being the difference maker. The punch you don’t see. Wilder’s right hand is telegraphed, he winds up like a cork screw and may as well have a neon sign over his head that reads he is about to throw a right hand. He gets so many knockouts because his opponents are C-rate and not nearly as nuanced as prior generations and he does have big power. But he doesn’t do much to set that punch up. Most knockouts come by setting up your opponent with combinations, not by throwing wild haymakers and crossing your fingers they will land.

It’s possible Wilder could land one clean to end the night early, every fighter has a puncher’s chance. But I have to wonder if he could handle the constant pressure on the inside from Rocky, and if he could land easily against a bobbing and weaving opponent who he has to punch downward upon.

Comment

Working...
                    X