No announcement yet.

Who ducked whom: John Sullivan vs. Peter Jackson

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ShoulderRoll View Post
    The story about Sullivan offering to fight Jackson in a basement seems remarkably similar to the story about Jim Jeffries offering to fight Jack Johnson in a locked room.

So either people are confused about who was actually involved...or it was pretty common back then to disrespect black fighters by denying them a title shot and instead offering them a gutter fight under shady conditions.
    Dempsey also told Wills that he won't ever allow him to fight for the championship, but he will do a winner take all bout, which Wills manager disregarded, saying first of all it was illegal.

I'm guessing all of these guys jut threw out the "I'll fight you, but winner take all and no title on the line" bs just to dismiss a legitimate fight from ever happening.

Comment

• Originally posted by travestyny View Post
      Dempsey also told Wills that he won't ever allow him to fight for the championship, but he will do a winner take all bout, which Wills manager disregarded, saying first of all it was illegal.

I'm guessing all of these guys jut threw out the "I'll fight you, but winner take all and no title on the line" bs just to dismiss a legitimate fight from ever happening.
      Peter Jackson was too busy making Lord of the Rings movies and remaking King Kong by then. Now if this was back when he wrote a script for Nightmare on Elm Street 6 and did Dead Alive, he was less busy and that might've been a different story.

Comment

• Originally posted by Anthony342 View Post
        Peter Jackson was too busy making Lord of the Rings movies and remaking King Kong by then. Now if this was back when he wrote a script for Nightmare on Elm Street 6 and did Dead Alive, he was less busy and that might've been a different story.
        LMAO. I knew the name sounded familiar from a non-boxing standpoint, but I didn't figure it out until this. Thank you for solving the mystery for me!

Comment

LMAO. I knew the name sounded familiar from a non-boxing standpoint, but I didn't figure it out until this. Thank you for solving the mystery for me!
          Bad Taste is another cult classic from Jackson: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bad_Taste

Comment

Bad Taste is another cult classic from Jackson: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bad_Taste
            lmao. Seems interesting enough. I just might give it a watch. I'm assuming you recommend it, so if it's trash I'm gonna blame you! :P

Comment

lmao. Seems interesting enough. I just might give it a watch. I'm assuming you recommend it, so if it's trash I'm gonna blame you! :P
              I've seen some of it. It seemed like good trash. If you want a recommendation, then I would go with Night of the Creeps, The Monster Squad or The Toxic Avenger. Not Peter Jackson, but fun as hell.

Comment

I've seen some of it. It seemed like good trash. If you want a recommendation, then I would go with Night of the Creeps, The Monster Squad or The Toxic Avenger. Not Peter Jackson, but fun as hell.
                Man, you just took me back. I've definitely seen Night of the Creeps and The Toxic Avenger. Think they even eventually turned the Toxic Avenger into an an animation if I remember correctly, called Toxic Crusader.

Comment

Man, you just took me back. I've definitely seen Night of the Creeps and The Toxic Avenger. Think they even eventually turned the Toxic Avenger into an an animation if I remember correctly, called Toxic Crusader.
                  Yep and Shout Factory just did a Blu Ray release of Night of the Creeps. The Limited Edition release had an action figure of Tom Atkins' Detective Cameron character in his trenchcoat. "Thrill me" haha.

Comment

Ha! the Toxic Avenger rocks!

Comment

• Originally posted by billeau2 View Post
                      Ha! the Toxic Avenger rocks!
                      Agreed. But parts 2 and 3 are kind of weak entries IMO. Finally got a chance to watch the boxed set about 2 years ago. What did you think. 4 wasn't too bad. Had appearances by Sgt. Kabukiman and other Troma superheroes, plus Ron Jeremy as the Mayor of Tromaville, which was kind of fun. The first one is the one to watch though. The cartoon is okay and included on the DVD set. Supposedly the NES game is pretty bad. I gotta try that sometime too. Also came out for Sega Genesis and Gameboy.

Comment

Working...
                      X