No announcement yet.

Who ducked whom: John Sullivan vs. Peter Jackson

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who ducked whom: John Sullivan vs. Peter Jackson

I've read just about everywhere and was often told that John L. Sullivan refused to fight Peter Jackson.

However, our resident historian Rusty Tromboni claims that, in fact, it was Peter Jackson that was doing the ducking. He claims that Peter Jackson actually turned down an offer to fight John Sullivan.

Is it possible that we've had it wrong all of these years? Should we put some more respect on John L. Sullivan's name?

Or is it possible that Rusty Tromboni is lying to fit some kind of warped agenda? I wouldn't want to believe that someone would purposely try to smear a boxer's legacy. What reason would he have to lie?

I'll give Rusty the benefit of the doubt, but it's time to get to the bottom of this.

Rusty Tromboni, come in and share with us your proof. As you guys know, I'm in favor of the truth coming to the light. Let's see what you got.

BUT.....if you are lying and have no proof, you should fess up and explain why you would lie this way. Deal?

obv sully, he came out and said it blatantly.

Comment

Originally posted by travestyny View Post
      I've read just about everywhere and was often told that John L. Sullivan refused to fight Peter Jackson.

However, our resident historian Rusty Tromboni claims that, in fact, it was Peter Jackson that was doing the ducking. He claims that Peter Jackson actually turned down an offer to fight John Sullivan.

Is it possible that we've had it wrong all of these years? Should we put some more respect on John L. Sullivan's name?

Or is it possible that Rusty Tromboni is lying to fit some kind of warped agenda? I wouldn't want to believe that someone would purposely try to smear a boxer's legacy. What reason would he have to lie?

I'll give Rusty the benefit of the doubt, but it's time to get to the bottom of this.

Rusty Tromboni, come in and share with us your proof. As you guys know, I'm in favor of the truth coming to the light. Let's see what you got.

BUT.....if you are lying and have no proof, you should fess up and explain why you would lie this way. Deal?
      - -If you look at their timelines, they don't overlap because Jackson was a Commonwealth, overseas fighter.

JL was inactive near 3 yrs before fighting Corbett, so was he also ducking Corbett until he fought him?

Bottomline JL had done everything there was to do and wearied of being tossed in the clink, harassed, and having to travel across the country for some illicit backwater fight when he could make his $$$ in safer theatre work. Pretty obvious by then that like Corbett, Jackson was the superior fighter.

Comment

I believe Corbett fought Jackson to a draw, and always thought Sullivan was better then Corbett. By the time Corbett beat "the great John l" he was well past it and inactive. Either way Jackson like many black fighters of the era was ducked and avoided and deserved a shot.

Comment

Originally posted by john l View Post
          I believe Corbett fought Jackson to a draw, and always thought Sullivan was better then Corbett. By the time Corbett beat "the great John l" he was well past it and inactive. Either way Jackson like many black fighters of the era was ducked and avoided and deserved a shot.
          I think it would have been interesting to see what would have happened with a young John L vs Corbett. Corbett by most accounts was the slickest heavyweight back in the day so whether that would have translated in a win over a prime John L could be debated.Gut feeling is that Corbett would have still won.I love this area of heavyweights even if they were only from 160 lbs (Choynski & Fitzsimmons weight) and up. As for the Jackson vs Corbett fight,it was called a draw with most accounts not indicating either had an advantage. Most likely a scientific stalemate without alot of action.

Comment

- -After 60 rds, they was propped up against each other like a pair of stumble drunks, hence the fight was no longer a fight and called off.

Comment

Originally posted by QueensburyRules View Post
              - -If you look at their timelines, they don't overlap because Jackson was a Commonwealth, overseas fighter.

JL was inactive near 3 yrs before fighting Corbett, so was he also ducking Corbett until he fought him?

Bottomline JL had done everything there was to do and wearied of being tossed in the clink, harassed, and having to travel across the country for some illicit backwater fight when he could make his $$$ in safer theatre work. Pretty obvious by then that like Corbett, Jackson was the superior fighter.

That's all fine, but there is a lot of information out there that says Sullivan refused to fight Jackson.

Rusty claims that it was Jackson that was turning down offers, so I just want to see if he can straighten this all out for us.

Comment

Originally posted by DreamFighter View Post
                obv sully, he came out and said it blatantly.
                This is exactly what I thought. I wonder why Rusty says he has information contradicting this. If he's lying, I wonder why he would do that.

What do you say, Rusty Tromboni

Comment

That is a little hasty, even for you. A bit more time, please, just to make sure.

Of course, avoiding a negro was one of the easiest things to pull off back in the day. On the other hand, wouldn't publicity machines go wild if Jackson turned down an offer from the great one?

Comment

Originally posted by travestyny View Post
                    That's all fine, but there is a lot of information out there that says Sullivan refused to fight Jackson.

Rusty claims that it was Jackson that was turning down offers, so I just want to see if he can straighten this all out for us.
                    - -Any pics of Sully and the original Prince together?

JL had a long spar and theatrical history with Corbett.

Go back to his last fight preCorbett. Where was Jackson in the time line?

There's your clue.

Comment

Working...
                    X