No announcement yet.

Who ducked whom: John Sullivan vs. Peter Jackson

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by DreamFighter View Post
    hey rusty why u denying ur racism when its been shown 2 u point blank?

dont dig the hole, just apologise and u might not get banned.
    Stick to the subject now. No baiting.

Comment

• Originally posted by billeau2 View Post
      I

You can see where I am going with this. Sullivan was very smart and very good principally at fighting bare knuckle fighting. As you said the art was similar to MMA. I would go one step further and say it probably was also similar to Mexican boxing theories involving using the hook as a leading blow. I am sure Sullivan made alterations in his game for gloves, which he did (as you said) advocate, but most of his experience and training was in a style where the gloves were not used.

So with Sullivan the fact that he held together, tavern hopping and all, after many punishing battles primarily bare knuckled battles, and the fact that he advocated and made an adjustment to gloved fighting is a testiment to his intelligence. Most Thai fighters, by comparison have a fighting career not one fourth as long.
      - -Not sure what you are implying, but obviously all JL bar brawls would be Bareknucks just as sure as most every prize fight was gloves.

All those guys up to Dempsey engaged in both impromptu bareknucks fights as well as pro Challenges in the beginnings.

Kimbo Slice remains permanently undefeated in boxing as a modern ex.

Comment

• Originally posted by QueensburyRules View Post
        - -Not sure what you are implying, but obviously all JL bar brawls would be Bareknucks just as sure as most every prize fight was gloves.

All those guys up to Dempsey engaged in both impromptu bareknucks fights as well as pro Challenges in the beginnings.

Kimbo Slice remains permanently undefeated in boxing as a modern ex.
        I am sure They did. And in the early medieval times Italian swordsmen walked around with very long Epees and had beautiful form, and would get butchered by
        b a s t a r d sword weilders...Perhaps Hatsumi Sensei said it best: when asked about sword work in a style called Kukishin Ryu his translated words were "its a good style to kill someone with a sword.

We are good at what we practice. And the Darwanism comes in when perhaps we have to ask how many fights to the death must one be in to become proficient and remain alive? It would certainly be an oximoron to say that one who fought many battles to the death was training to stay alive lol.

My point is that the guys who fought bare knuckle had skills that translated that way and deserve the credit for that. Bare knuckle just does not look nice! Elbows kept high hands open so someone could smack a fist into them... lots of blood, broken hands, ugh!

Comment

• Originally posted by DreamFighter View Post
          shame there is no ignore button, this guy would get it from all.
          There is actually, I just forgot where it was until recently. You just click on the person's screen name and a drop down list should come up. One of the options on the list should be to add that person to your ignore list and then you just click on that option and it should take you to a page where it tells you that they've been added to your ignore list, confirming it for you.

Comment

• Originally posted by Anthony342 View Post
            There is actually, I just forgot where it was until recently. You just click on the person's screen name and a drop down list should come up. One of the options on the list should be to add that person to your ignore list and then you just click on that option and it should take you to a page where it tells you that they've been added to your ignore list, confirming it for you.
            this is most useful, thanks man. Dont have to read anymore racism now, big help.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rusty Tromboni View Post
              Just like Marciano built his career on the corpses of Black fighters whose careers had effectively ended years before.

At least Sullivan could be proud of his competition.
              They called George Godfrey Old Chocolate for a reason bubba.

Comment

• The story about Sullivan offering to fight Jackson in a basement seems remarkably similar to the story about Jim Jeffries offering to fight Jack Johnson in a locked room.

So either people are confused about who was actually involved...or it was pretty common back then to disrespect black fighters by denying them a title shot and instead offering them a gutter fight under shady conditions.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShoulderRoll View Post
                  The story about Sullivan offering to fight Jackson in a basement seems remarkably similar to the story about Jim Jeffries offering to fight Jack Johnson in a locked room.

So either people are confused about who was actually involved...or it was pretty common back then to disrespect black fighters by denying them a title shot and instead offering them a gutter fight under shady conditions.
                  - -Jeff is alleged to have slapped $2k on the bar, winner take all with Jeff taking all the risk.

That's more than JJ earned in a year, so how is that shady?

Comment

• Originally posted by QueensburyRules View Post
                    - -Jeff is alleged to have slapped $2k on the bar, winner take all with Jeff taking all the risk.

That's more than JJ earned in a year, so how is that shady?
                    So who was it, Jeffries or Sullivan?

JJ was interested in getting his shot at the heavyweight championship of the world in a legit contest. Anything less than that was disrespect and a slap in the face.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShoulderRoll View Post
                      So who was it, Jeffries or Sullivan?

JJ was interested in getting his shot at the heavyweight championship of the world in a legit contest. Anything less than that was disrespect and a slap in the face.
                      - -I can't know what either of the JJs thoughts were and neither do you, but it's in one of the Johnson bios.

Prob common in those days to shut up troublemakers that Johnson surely was when he walked in to try and make the fight.

Think shannon Briggs when spending two years taping his harassment of Wlad that actually sparked a restaurant brawl that left both cut by glassware with Briggs running out of the place limping.

Comment

Working...
                      X