Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2009: Mayweather vs Pacquiao - Who would have won?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There is nothing Pac can do if Floyd turns the fight into a low contact tag boxing match.
    You can't nail Floyd hard enough to KO him. You just can't.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Cruise View Post
      Pac deteriorated worse in the few years leading up to the Mayweahter fight so I think in their primes its probably closer than the one that ended up happening. But yeah, Mayweather still wins. Horrible style for Pacquiao.
      It is a bad style for Manny, to say the least -- even a prime Manny, but we gotta remember that pre-Marquez KO Manny was a different fighter. He was a whirlwind, tornado of activity/punches type of boxer. He was more than willing to eat a few good shots so he could land a dozen of his own in return.

Post-Marquez KO Manny became a boxer. Way, way more cautious. And calculated. When Floyd & Manny finally fought, Manny was actually in there trying to think and box with Floyd, who's the master at that.

I'm not saying peak/prime Manny would have won but he was a totally different animal back then.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
        It is a bad style for Manny, to say the least -- even a prime Manny, but we gotta remember that pre-Marquez KO Manny was a different fighter. He was a whirlwind, tornado of activity/punches type of boxer. He was more than willing to eat a few good shots so he could land a dozen of his own in return.

Post-Marquez KO Manny became a boxer. Way, way more cautious. And calculated. When Floyd & Manny finally fought, Manny was actually in there trying to think and box with Floyd, who's the master at that.

I'm not saying peak/prime Manny would have won but he was a totally different animal back then.
        Definitely true what you are saying but I would argue Floyd was a totally different animal back then also.

Comment

2009 was a great year for Pac, I think he was slightly more active and explosive right before that though, but then again his technique also peaked in 09 so I guess that would have been his best shot.

I always favored Manny in this prime v prime matchup. extremely fast(hands&feet) southpaw who threw from all awkward angles and had possibly the best stamina I've ever seen for a taxing fighting style. Iron chin, iron willpower, the only thing he needed was a little bit of a mean streak. He'd need to play dirty and not respect Floyd in there.

I definitely disagree with those who say their actual fight was a good representation. by 2015 Pacquiao was such a different fighter mentally and physically there was a world of difference. It was the insane effective activity that made him, not trying to box and trick a master of it at his own game.

Nah, Floyd would have his hands full too much in this matchup. There's too much to counter, it would never stop coming. He'd turn into a greco roman wrestler to cope with the barrage. Floyd gets outworked worse than against JLC and Maidana.

Comment

Originally posted by BKM- View Post
            2009 was a great year for Pac, I think he was slightly more active and explosive right before that though, but then again his technique also peaked in 09 so I guess that would have been his best shot.

I always favored Manny in this prime v prime matchup. extremely fast(hands&feet) southpaw who threw from all awkward angles and had possibly the best stamina I've ever seen for a taxing fighting style. Iron chin, iron willpower, the only thing he needed was a little bit of a mean streak. He'd need to play dirty and not respect Floyd in there.

I definitely disagree with those who say their actual fight was a good representation. by 2015 Pacquiao was such a different fighter mentally and physically there was a world of difference. It was the insane effective activity that made him, not trying to box and trick a master of it at his own game.

Nah, Floyd would have his hands full too much in this matchup. There's too much to counter, it would never stop coming. He'd turn into a greco roman wrestler to cope with the barrage. Floyd gets outworked worse than against JLC and Maidana.
            Probably why all the requirements for testing and disagreements over money to get the fight delayed, because of those same doubts.

Comment

A couple of things to remember: Pac may punch from every angle and have fast feet but he comes in straight lines, more like a South East Asian Thai fighter. Pac is more of a puncher than a pressure guy at his best, he does not want to force the fight inside he wants to catch you when he is coming in.

Floyd was always susceptable to pressure guys, like Castillo and even at the apex end of his career, like madiana. To be a boxer puncher and hang with Floyd you need the kind of natural speed that for example, Shane Mosley had. Pac might have been fast enough not to get countered, but Floyd can find a fighter at that distance who comes in straight lines. Pac would look good for a while, maybe a round or so, while Floyd tried to slip punches and shoulder roll him coming in....then Roger tells Floyd in a calm collected voice (Roger was always one of my favorite corner men) to use his jab...and pac's stiff head movement becomes obvious, every time he tried to come in Floyd stuffs him and builds off the jab.

Pac would have had his moments but Floyd wins if they fought at prime.

Comment

Originally posted by Anthony342 View Post
                Probably why all the requirements for testing and disagreements over money to get the fight delayed, because of those same doubts.
                Or asking for ridiculous 10 million per lb weight penalties.

Oh no wait that was Pacquaio and Floyd accepted it. Weird that isn't it?

And also, money wasn't an issue in 2009. 50/50 was agreed to by both parties.

The sole issue was USADA drug testing being refused by Pacquaio. That's it.

Comment

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post

And Pacquiao would later go on to insist that his opponents do random drug testing as well.

So his refusal for the Floyd fight seems hypocritical and suspect.

Comment

I think Floyd has his number at any point in their careers.

Comment

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post

Yeah that too. They were both f'in morons for not making that fight happen sooner. Hey, how you been, Iron Dan? Long time, no post. Your Dick Tiger pic also reminds me of a young Isiah Thomas Sr.

Comment

Working...
                      X