Collapse
No announcement yet.

How high do you rank Iran Barkley

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

he was a tough sob with a really good left hook but limited skill wise not a great at all, my main memory in the first hearns fight is he was really really lucky to win that fight he was getting busted up by hearns he was cut and taking heavy body punishment and threw and wild lucky punch that took hearns out.

Comment

Arthur Avenue hasn't been Arthur Avenue for more than 25 years. The Albanians took over from the Italians and their main interest/business is drugs not restaurants.

=================

Having been born, raised, educated & lived in The Bronx for more than 50 years, I became quite familiar with many of its fighters. IMO, Iran Barkley was an above average fighter in the ring; however, in a street fight he would kick the stuffing out of any of his boxing foes; similar to Marvin Hagler but not quite as tough.

Comment

Originally posted by Mooshashi View Post
        I ought Bellvue was just for crazy people!

I brought some Australian cousins to Arthur Avenue for lunch a few years back. I forget which restaurant I took them to but the food was awful. One meal had aluminum foil on the plate.
        Bellvue is, you ever met me?! back in the early sixties it was part of "Manhattan General" a full service hospital. Actually one of the media things that gave Bellvue exposure and such a rep was the show "Barney Miller."

Thats a shame! Arthur Avenue was one of a few Little Italy's, including one in my own hood East Harlem, where the notorious "purple Gang" lurked, a kind of murder syndicate for the Genovese family of Mafia... But the food in all these neighborhoods was incredible. I can still remember going up the Henry Hudson Parkway past Riverdale and into some Italian guy's basement, smelling the pizza cooking.

Purists say there is a difference in the type of pizza served in the Bronx at that time... Truth is when I go back to new York its hard to get a bad slice of pizza anywhere, even if it not quite the best. Nobody else does the crust right, I have resigned myself to this fact.

Comment

Originally posted by mikeg1224 View Post
          Arthur Avenue hasn't been Arthur Avenue for more than 25 years. The Albanians took over from the Italians and their main interest/business is drugs not restaurants.

=================

Having been born, raised, educated & lived in The Bronx for more than 50 years, I became quite familiar with many of its fighters. IMO, Iran Barkley was an above average fighter in the ring; however, in a street fight he would kick the stuffing out of any of his boxing foes; similar to Marvin Hagler but not quite as tough.
          Same thing with the area near the river in East Harlem. there is one store left and a restaurant or so...

Comment

Yeah and like here on Long Island, must of the barbers and strip clubs seem to be Russian owned and employed these days.

Comment

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
              Oh yeah he beat a way past it Hearns twice

As soon as Barkley exposed Hearns glass chin he was "past it" lol Hearns was in his prime and you know it

DEAD average fighter.
              Same could be said about Hearns.
              Who did he beat? Old men and bums, that's all.
              Lost every time he stepped up, so he stopped stepping up lol
              Not to mention all the avoiding.

Comment

Originally posted by Danar View Post

As soon as Barkley exposed Hearns glass chin he was "past it" lol Hearns was in his prime and you know it

Same could be said about Hearns.
                Who did he beat? Old men and bums, that's all.
                Lost every time he stepped up, so he stopped stepping up lol
                Not to mention all the avoiding.

Hearns in his prime? No I definitely do not know that.

Comment

Originally posted by OctoberRed View Post
                  I actually remember seeing him ringside at some show and it was sad. He actually leaned over to the person's seat in front of him and took a bucket of their uneaten wings that were left behind and ate them. That's when he was dead broke and living in a motel.

holy **** that is sad.

Comment

Hearns in his prime? No I definitely do not know that.
                    He lost so you would say that.
                    That's the formula you people use whenever one of yours gets licked.

Comment

Originally posted by Danar View Post
                      He lost so you would say that.
                      That's the formula you people use whenever one of yours gets licked.
                      I don't even know what this means.

But Hearns was no where near prime at that point. I doubt you even believe that yourself.

Comment

Working...
                      X