No announcement yet.

How high do you rank Iran Barkley

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
    Sarcasm. Pointing out being a title holder doesn't mean a fighter isn't average.

Barkley is dead average AT BEST. Other than a way past it Hearns litetally lost to every decent fighter he faced and lost to less than decent fighters aswell.
    All Sarcasm is accepted IronDan. But personally I would not agree with Hearns being that "past it". Hearns struggled to keep his strength as a middleweight as he already rose and won the light heavy weight title against Andres. After Hagler-Leonard, Hearns dropped 15 pounds to gain the middleweight title. He lost a lot of strength doing it. Later after the Barkley loss he returned to light heavy and beat Virgil hill for one of the better wins of his career. After Hearns lost to Barkley for the middleweight title he went 16-2-1. Including in there the controversial draw with Leonard.

Comment

Originally posted by TBear View Post
      All Sarcasm is accepted IronDan. But personally I would not agree with Hearns being that "past it". Hearns struggled to keep his strength as a middleweight as he already rose and won the light heavy weight title against Andres. After Hagler-Leonard, Hearns dropped 15 pounds to gain the middleweight title. He lost a lot of strength doing it. Later after the Barkley loss he returned to light heavy and beat Virgil hill for one of the better wins of his career. After Hearns lost to Barkley for the middleweight title he went 16-2-1. Including in there the controversial draw with Leonard.
      He was way past it.

Especially the second one.

Wasn't shot and still a top level fighter and fair play to Barkley out of about 10 or so top fighters he fought he beat one. Well done I guess?

Comment

I actually remember seeing him ringside at some show and it was sad. He actually leaned over to the person's seat in front of him and took a bucket of their uneaten wings that were left behind and ate them. That's when he was dead broke and living in a motel.

Comment

He had one of my favorite quotes. Just before getting into the ring an interviewer (might have been JimGrey) asked him what was his strategy for the fight. Iran said " I'm a go in the ring, I'm a knock him out.

Next to La Motta, Iran is my favorite Bronx boxer....and he was born and raised there unlike Jake.

Comment

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
            No what you are describing there is a bum.

Loads of average fighters win world titles. What are you telling me that if you win world titles you can't be average?
            Very few if any average fighters win world titles. The word 'average' means run of the mill, normal etc.. Barkely was not average.

Run along and let the big boys talk about boxing, kid.

Comment

Originally posted by TheReadyTimeBoy View Post
              Very few if any average fighters win world titles. The word 'average' means run of the mill, normal etc.. Barkely was not average.

Run along and let the big boys talk about boxing, kid.
              Literally loads of average fighters win world titles, atleast in the modern era.

Shut the **** up. Who are you?

Comment

Originally posted by Mooshashi View Post
                He had one of my favorite quotes. Just before getting into the ring an interviewer (might have been JimGrey) asked him what was his strategy for the fight. Iran said " I'm a go in the ring, I'm a knock him out.

Next to La Motta, Iran is my favorite Bronx boxer....and he was born and raised there unlike Jake.
                Where was La Motta raised? I thought he was bronx born?

Comment

Originally posted by billeau2 View Post
                  Where was La Motta raised? I thought he was bronx born?
                  Most news stories about him say the "Bronx born" but he wasn't....he was born in Manhattan. He certainly was RAISED in the Bronx, but hey, you gotta be born on the soil of the Bronx to be truly Bronx born.

I was born in Montefiore Hospital...so I'm in the club.

Comment

Originally posted by Mooshashi View Post
                    Most news stories about him say the "Bronx born" but he wasn't....he was born in Manhattan. He certainly was RAISED in the Bronx, but hey, you gotta be born on the soil of the Bronx to be truly Bronx born.

I was born in Montefiore Hospital...so I'm in the club.
                    Understood, thats interesting. I had to break it to my first born that even though he was raised up first in New York City (Upper West Side) and then San Francisco, that he was pulled from the loins in Hoboken New Jersey.

I was born in Bellivue, back then (1964) they were apparently a full scale hospital.

Interesting aside: we are in Baltimore and Chaz Palmantero opened up a Bronx pizza place...We had pizza near Arthur avenue when I was a kid, my dad was in with the Italians as a band conductor and we would go into somene's basement and get this incredible food, the pizza oh my god!!

Unfortunately Chaz's place bombed. I was hoping it would work out...The food went downhill in the place, I guess he could not control the quality of the product.
                    Last edited by billeau2; 11-20-2017, 10:15 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by billeau2 View Post
                      Understood, thats interesting. I had to break it to my first born that even though he was raised up first in New York City (Upper West Side) and then San Francisco, that he was pulled from the loins in Hoboken New Jersey.

I was born in Bellivue, back then (1964) they were apparently a full scale hospital.

Interesting aside: we are in Baltimore and Chaz Palmantero opened up a Bronx pizza place...We had pizza near Arthur avenue when I was a kid, my dad was in with the Italians as a band conductor and we would go into somene's basement and get this incredible food, the pizza oh my god!!

Unfortunately Chaz's place bombed. I was hoping it would work out...The food went downhill in the place, I guess he could not control the quality of the product.
                      I ought Bellvue was just for crazy people!

I brought some Australian cousins to Arthur Avenue for lunch a few years back. I forget which restaurant I took them to but the food was awful. One meal had aluminum foil on the plate.

Comment

Working...
                      X