No announcement yet.

Single Hardest Punch Ever Landed

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tatabanya View Post
    I never read the interview you mention, but I do believe that he opted to stay down after being hit by that freight train of a right.

Many fighters have been seen spitting the mouthpiece after being knocked down hard. Just remember Chico Corrales before he knocked Castillo out.
    Yes, but he didn't spit it out. He reached over to his mouth, takes the mouthpiece out and stays down. I remember watching that fight with casuals who were like "WTF, the guy is taking a dive" when they saw him do that.

Comment

Originally posted by OctoberRed View Post
      Yes, but he didn't spit it out. He reached over to his mouth, takes the mouthpiece out and stays down. I remember watching that fight with casuals who were like "WTF, the guy is taking a dive" when they saw him do that.
      I just watched it again. Etienne came to fight, he was indeed trying to get at Tyson but was caught by that monster punch. I maintain that he did not take a dive, but - most definitely - chose to give up right then and there. That explains his gesture IMO: the little consciousness he had after the concussion suggested him to say goodbye.

I mean, look at his leg when Tyson hits him; you don't pretend to be knocked out like that. He could have ruptured the knee's ligaments with that twist.
      Last edited by Tatabanya; 01-26-2018, 12:29 AM.

Comment

The Lewis right hand that nearly decapitated Hasim Rahman

Comment

Originally posted by mickey malone View Post
          "BOOM!", said Jim Lampley. Nice one.

Comment

Originally posted by mickey malone View Post
            Good to see you back here, sir.

Comment

Originally posted by yngwie View Post
              Great picks so far
              Joe Frazier would have stopped most men with the left hook that he landed to drop Ali during the fight of the century.
              No he wouldn't have. Frazier was 205 soaking wet, but really punched like a 200 pounder. 215 was fat for Frazier.

Look at the reel below, not even a big left hook. Just a normal everyday left hook from a tired áss fighter. Ali got caught throwing a right hand uppercut so he was extra open. Punch was average.

I'll take that left hook and flake it off. Granted, I wouldn't be caught throwing an uppercut and I won't be tired of 15 rounds of war which is also a big factor here. Point is, that left hook was Euhemerism* at it's finest by the so-called pundits and it stuck. Reality is, not a great punch.

*Euhemerism means that, historical accounts become myths as they are exaggerated in the retelling, accumulating elaborations and alterations that reflect cultural mores.
              Last edited by McNulty; 01-26-2018, 12:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Anthony342 View Post
                Good to see you back here, sir.
                Equally as good to see you're still hanging in there too old pal.

Chat soon

Comment

"BOOM!", said Jim Lampley. Nice one.
                  Yep., Almost fell off my armchair

Comment

I just watched it again. Etienne came to fight, he was indeed trying to get at Tyson but was caught by that monster punch. I maintain that he did not take a dive, but - most definitely - chose to give up right then and there. That explains his gesture IMO: the little consciousness he had after the concussion suggested him to say goodbye.

I mean, look at his leg when Tyson hits him; you don't pretend to be knocked out like that. He could have ruptured the knee's ligaments with that twist.
                    It made him give up on boxing, that's for sure. Not that long after he robbed a store, kidnapped someone in a car and was sent to prison for a very long time.

Comment

Unbelievable he got up from that Holmes was something else.

Comment

Working...
                      X