Collapse
No announcement yet.

Super Heavyweight era..?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In think heavyweight is fine where it is. It was intended to be the weight class with no limits where everyone could compete in if they so chose. Let the big boys mix with the lighter ones if they have the courage, like when Bob Fitzsimmons fought Jim Jeffries.

Bring back 15 rounders, though. That I would love to see.

Comment

I don't think there should be a so called super heavyweight division, considering heavyweight is supposed to be the division without an upper restriction, plus what would be the limit? 240lb? That doesn't make someone a super heavyweight, it makes most of them fat pieces of ****. A lot of the guys who weigh 240+ these days haven't seen the inside of a gym.

Arreola are various stages of his career would probably have been a super heavyweight but he is around 6'2-3 and owuld be dwarfed by guys like Fury and Wlad.

Heavyweight is fine as it is and any guy 200lb plus with the necessary skill and talent will do well, just look at Haye, 6'3'' weighed most of his career around 210-220 and would probably beat everyone not names Wlad or Vitali.

Comment

Originally posted by soul_survivor View Post
        I don't think there should be a so called super heavyweight division, considering heavyweight is supposed to be the division without an upper restriction, plus what would be the limit? 240lb? That doesn't make someone a super heavyweight, it makes most of them fat pieces of ****. A lot of the guys who weigh 240+ these days haven't seen the inside of a gym.

Arreola are various stages of his career would probably have been a super heavyweight but he is around 6'2-3 and owuld be dwarfed by guys like Fury and Wlad.

Heavyweight is fine as it is and any guy 200lb plus with the necessary skill and talent will do well, just look at Haye, 6'3'' weighed most of his career around 210-220 and would probably beat everyone not names Wlad or Vitali.
        Regarding Arreola you're absolutely correct. Had the physique of a dumpling rather than a super heavy I'm trying to portray. I seriously believe this Haye gets destroyed by an elite big guy with half a brain in the ring. Wlad showed how to nullify smaller opponents such as Povetkin and Haye, I feel the current generation have more about them. Less rigid, higher punch output.

Holyfield vs Big George and Buster Douglas are examples of a little man beating up a bigger man handedly. Are there any more examples out there apart from David Haye?

Comment

Originally posted by StudentOfDaGame View Post
          Regarding Arreola you're absolutely correct. Had the physique of a dumpling rather than a super heavy I'm trying to portray. I seriously believe this Haye gets destroyed by an elite big guy with half a brain in the ring. Wlad showed how to nullify smaller opponents such as Povetkin and Haye, I feel the current generation have more about them. Less rigid, higher punch output.

Holyfield vs Big George and Buster Douglas are examples of a little man beating up a bigger man handedly. Are there any more examples out there apart from David Haye?
          Again... One has to really discipline the mind to look carefully at corelations versus trends. A correlation would suppose that if i wear blue shoes I am religious where as a trend would suppose that blue shoes make one a church goer. In this example its obvious that while blue shoes might correlate to place, they don't to religion.

When we see a weak heavyweight division, with fighters coming up, we see that we have guys anywhere in size to Dillan White, Chris Parker, all the way up to Joshua and Ortiz. So the question is: is bigger size equal to being better heavyweights?

We also see that Lewis, vlad/Vitali and Fury are big heavyweights. But when we look before Lewis we had Tyson, Holyfield...so lets see what happens before we decide that all future talent is gonna be bigger guys. I gave you some other examples of moderate sized talent above. Size might be an arbitrary correlation, or, it might become a trend...like mma fighters needing to learn how to fight on the ground. time shalll tell.
          Last edited by billeau2; 02-11-2016, 04:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by billeau2 View Post
            Again... One has to really discipline the mind to look carefully at corelations versus trends. A correlation would suppose that if i wear blue shoes I am religious where as a trend would suppose that blue shoes make one a church goer. In this example its obvious that while blue shoes might correlate to place, they don't to religion.

When we see a weak heavyweight division, with fighters coming up, we see that we have guys anywhere in size to Dillan White, Chris Parker, all the way up to Joshua and Ortiz. So the question is: is bigger size equal to being better heavyweights?

We also see that Lewis, vlad/Vitali and Fury are big heavyweights. But when we look before Lewis we had Tyson, Holyfield...so lets see what happens before we decide that all future talent is gonna be bigger guys. I gave you some other examples of moderate sized talent above. Size might be an arbitrary correlation, or, it might become a trend...like mma fighters needing to learn how to fight on the ground. time shalll tell.
            For real mate, time shall tell. Only thing is we're in the age of marination, were fans actively support ducking because fighter 'a' isn't ready to fight fighter 'b'. Moral of my story= we've got a long, long time!

Comment

Originally posted by StudentOfDaGame View Post

Currently, guys at the world level who would be regarded as super-heavyweights are Wlad, Fury and Wilder. AJ and Parker are prospects thus far, AJ might be a title contender.

That's it. Most heavies circulating the world scene are around 6'2-6'4'', nothing unusual there. Most heavies have been this height for the better part of 4 decades. And ultimately, when your 6'3'' and 200 plus pounds, you're big enough to put a beating on any man, all that remains is the skill, talent, intelligence and heart.

We just saw Spzilka, some 6'3'' and around 230lb put a schooling on Wilder, if he had been a truly talented fighter like an Ali or a Holyfield, he would have bettered Wilder into the middle of next week. Wilder was 4 inches taller and had a 7inch reach advantage yet still couldn't control the distance, he was damn lucky to get that KO.

So all in all, skill trumps size.

Comment

Working...
              X