No announcement yet.

Super Heavyweight era..?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by juggernaut666 View Post
    Any top guy would have beat Buster that night........that was his own version of the equivalence of how Tyson came into fight him,except Douglas weighed almost 20 pounds overweuight of his fight weight. Bowe beat holyfield twice,slipped up once...holyfield also weighed his heaviest at that time 217 when he defeated Bowe...one win over Bowe isn't exactly proof of anything. a better example is the 6'4 240 Golota who shows why a SHw division is more practical.
    Ok. I knew this was going into the direction of "beating bowe doesn't prove anything" .

Ok buddy.

Comment

Originally posted by LacedUp View Post
      Ok. I knew this was going into the direction of "beating bowe doesn't prove anything" .

Ok buddy.
      Yes because ONE fight proves why a SHW division is not needed vs a under trained one time Bowe who admits anyway he didn't train hard for that fight. As usual you present yourself as one of the most illogical posters on here when presented with real points. Not to mention holyfield was a top all time fighter but we'll ignore that too.......

Comment

Yes because ONE fight proves why a SHW division is not needed vs a under trained one time Bowe who admits anyway he didn't train hard for that fight. As usual you present yourself as one of the most illogical posters on here when presented with real points. Not to mention holyfield was a top all time fighter but we'll ignore that too.......
        When did I even discuss that dude? I said I didn't see why Haye or Povetkin couldn't be champ now and gave a reason.

Holyfield beat PLENTY of super heavyweights. But whoever I'll say you'll say: "yeah but that doesn't count because [insert uneducated reason here]".

Comment

1:
          Originally posted by LacedUp View Post
          When did I even discuss that dude? I said I didn't see why Haye or Povetkin couldn't be champ now and gave a reason.

Holyfield beat PLENTY of super heavyweights. But whoever I'll say you'll say: "yeah but that doesn't count because [insert uneducated reason here]".
          What????Wow you really are "LACED" up.....

"Ok. I knew this was going into the direction of "beating bowe doesn't prove anything" . Laced Up

you even claimed Holyfield beat all these SHW's yet all his big wins really were guys under 225..yea real uneducated stuff here the question is who is the uneducated one ?....the end! Now go bring up Valuev to pretzel twist it,like you know you want to do.....

So you don't get too lost as usual this is the quote i was posting too even though its on the last page along with the other unrelated stuff that I didn't even mention ......smh

'Being small is not necessarily a disadvantage. As Holyfield would say, you just have to learn how to fight big guys." Laced Up
          Last edited by juggernaut666; 02-03-2016, 01:07 PM.

Comment

Any top guy would have beat Buster that night........that was his own version of the equivalence of how Tyson came into fight him,except Douglas weighed almost 20 pounds overweuight of his fight weight. Bowe beat holyfield twice,slipped up once...holyfield also weighed his heaviest at that time 217 when he defeated Bowe...one win over Bowe isn't exactly proof of anything. a better example is the 6'4 240 Golota who shows why a SHw division is more practical.
            Come on Juggy....Holyfield boxed beautifully when he beat Bowe, its the one time he listened to his corner! The other times he got suckered into a brawling match. Douglas was overweight and unprepared.

Comment

Originally posted by Pugilist_Spec View Post
              You could make a convincing case that he did.
              Well....Holyfield was not starched like he was the first fight...but thats not "winning" even Charlie Sheen knows that!

Comment

The Klitschko era was never the superHW era, the 90s probably had bigger heavyweights(weight withstanding). What we are seeing developing now is the true super heavyweight era.

Comment

It's not the size of the dog in the fight!
                  It's the size of the fight in the dog!

For the past 15-20 years we've had average to ordinary talents at heavyweight
                  That's when the size difference is most obvious when the talent levels are equal
                  You saw both Lennox and Wlad make mistakes and get stopped by smaller men
                  There's nothing new about that it's been apart of the division for years!
                  Dempsey gave away some height and reach, so did Marciano & Paterson & Frazier & Tyson all had what was deemed as disadvantages into advantages because they often had more talent and willingness to reverse their opponents
                  physical status.
                  Height & reach are not advantages once the opponent moves inside.
                  High work rate and covering distance with smaller steps can often put the taller opponent at a disadvantage, you do need quick steps but it is a means to flip an advantage.

This sport is about talent and skills first.
                  Desire and conditioning is second!
                  Utilizing physical attributes has more to do with training then natural ability.

Lewis is the most talented "big" man to date! We'll see if Tyson and Wilder along with Joshua get a chance to develop in the next few years.
                  I don't see anyone with great techniques, defensive skills or ring generalship.
                  However thats a lot to ask for from men who have just started to fight opponents with equal abilities. Fury's win over an "old" Wlad is very good but Wlad isn't a great boxer/fighter to begin with.
                  If these men can fight one another and not get hung up in a defeat or two they'll have a shot at gaining experience and that should improve their skill.
                  Ray

Comment

If it came down to a choice, I would rather stretch the divisions that are already there than create a new one. Super middleweight goes to 175, where it belongs anyway; light heavyweight goes to 190; cruiser goes to 205; heavy goes to 220.

Yes, another smallish heavyweight will dominate, if boxing itself lasts. The apparent stamina of an oaf like Fury is misleading, because he is able to dance clumsily against no pressure. Against someone who kept constant pressure on, he would probably find himself pressurized (as smokin' Joe once coined) and out of gas.

If the divisions were modified as I suggested above, you could expect a lot of cruiserweights becoming heavyweight champions.

Comment

Originally posted by The Old LefHook View Post
                      If it came down to a choice, I would rather stretch the divisions that are already there than create a new one. Super middleweight goes to 175, where it belongs anyway; light heavyweight goes to 190; cruiser goes to 205; heavy goes to 220.

Yes, another smallish heavyweight will dominate, if boxing itself lasts. The apparent stamina of an oaf like Fury is misleading, because he is able to dance clumsily against no pressure. Against someone who kept constant pressure on, he would probably find himself pressurized (as smokin' Joe once coined) and out of gas.

If the divisions were modified as I suggested above, you could expect a lot of cruiserweights becoming heavyweight champions.
                      Great post.

Comment

Working...
                      X