No announcement yet.

Lennox Lewis: A Career Re-Examined

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Joeyzagz View Post
    SOlid Article, Bill. Couple things I found interesting...

*Lennox accepting the meager $3 million offer, and Bowe changing his mind after that

*Bowe relinquishing the belt before deadline even passed! so the punchdrunk story he told on that zapruder film was indeed a lie.
    Of course! many posters know this actually because anyone alive at that time as an adult remembers the event. There was no mixed message here, Bowe was very determined and clear about what and why he was acting out.

heres the thing Zags: While It may be speculation...Bowe's anger was, in the opinion of many people, at the governing body and not Lewis. Also, to others, the thought was Bowe was afraid to face Lewis. I don't pretend to know which was a more motivating reason for Bowe, but I do think it demonstrates that lewis was not ducking Bowe by any stretch. Lewis actually agreed to demands which is why many felt bowe was afraid to fight Lewis.

As far as Rock Newman...this guy was a thug and little else. There was no credability to him...he would say anything to anyone and would hit people in the head with a cellphone!

Ironickly enough one could come up with a few possible conclusions about the Lewis Bowe fight...the one illogical conclusion of the lot would be that Lewis was ducking Bowe!

Comment

• Originally posted by sonnyboyx2 View Post
      Again, you are wrong. just like every other time you have posted on this thread. Riddick Bowe was the Undisputed Heavyweight Champion of the World. The Man who beat the Man.... No one tells the Undisputed Champion what to do. Not Corrupt Jose Suilliman and certainly not Lennox Lewis & Frank (Kelly) Moloney.. Bowe told the corrupt WBC he was not interested in their belt. He was not interested in their 30 day deadline. He told Lewis who wanted nothing to do with a fight, "Pick this corrupt belt out of the trash can".. Which is exactly what Lewis done. Lewis then defended that belt against a couple of jokers. Tucker (Junkie) Jackson (who?) Bruno & McCall who poleaxed him... But you and your cronnies, Joeyzag, Scott & Co are foolish enough to fall in behind the corrupt WBC & Lewis. Instead of supporting the Undisputed Heavyweight Champion (The man who beat the man)..Folyd Mayweather was stripped of his belt he won from Manny Pacquiao. Does that make Floyd afraid of Tim Bradley?

So are you saying Buster Douglas 20 pounds overweight,beat watered down Tyson was the MAN? I would hardly justify that pointing to Bowe as the man to beat simply because Holyfield defeated Douglas for the belt..... Lewis having a victory in the amatuers over him would have played a role in what the odds would be,added what Lewis did to Ruddock,holyfield was still known as a small HW fighter while lewis was viewed as a giant elite one who would pose much more difficulties than Holyfield could.

Having Rock newman as your guy is Bowes biggest black eye here! that guy watered down bowes career so much that I think it put doubt in bowes head when lewis was in line next!
      Last edited by juggernaut666; 10-08-2015, 02:15 PM.

Comment

Again, you are wrong. just like every other time you have posted on this thread. Riddick Bowe was the Undisputed Heavyweight Champion of the World. The Man who beat the Man.... No one tells the Undisputed Champion what to do. Not Corrupt Jose Suilliman and certainly not Lennox Lewis & Frank (Kelly) Moloney.. Bowe told the corrupt WBC he was not interested in their belt. He was not interested in their 30 day deadline. He told Lewis who wanted nothing to do with a fight, "Pick this corrupt belt out of the trash can".. Which is exactly what Lewis done. Lewis then defended that belt against a couple of jokers. Tucker (Junkie) Jackson (who?) Bruno & McCall who poleaxed him... But you and your cronnies, Joeyzag, Scott & Co are foolish enough to fall in behind the corrupt WBC & Lewis. Instead of supporting the Undisputed Heavyweight Champion (The man who beat the man)..Folyd Mayweather was stripped of his belt he won from Manny Pacquiao. Does that make Floyd afraid of Tim Bradley?
        You just said that Bowe told the corrupt wbc things...So how is that lewis ducking him imbecile? Nobody is claiming that bowe was even afraid of Lewis necessarily...your idiotic claim is that Lewis was ducking Bowe! common sense and even your own stupid words tell a different story! are you capable of thinking logically?

Bowe's motivation did not involve Lewis even. Yet somehow you take from this that Lewis set up this confrontation because he was afraid of Bowe? ever heard of ockhams razor!? your abuse of common sense and reason is criminal.

Comment

• I have been debating this subject since 1998.. i was around and tuned-in to what was going on back in 1992.. Lennox Lewis and his team, deliberately priced themselves out, of fighting Riddick Bowe..... Everything about the career of Lennox Lewis points to him avoiding Bowe. Lewis avoided every single fighter who held any version of the heavyweight title throughout the entire 1990s. Holyfield, Tyson, Bowe, Hide, Moorer, Holmes, Foreman, Wlad, Sanders.. they were all avoided by Lewis. They were avoided simply because "They were at the Top of their Game" - Lennox Lewis never ever fought fighters who were at the top of their game. Lewis only ever fought exposed fighters. Fighters who were on the slide, fighters who had been defeated and who had been exposed by less fighters. Lewis and his team watched Bowe vs Holyfield (1) Lewis & Kelly Maloney even commentated for SkySports live` why watching that fight. They witnessed like every other boxing fan who tuned in, just how good Riddick Bowe was. They witnessed the vast improvement Bowe had made in the pro ranks under Legendary trainer Eddie Futch.. Lewis and his team baulked, they "Priced themselves Out" by making unacceptable demands on Bowe. Waiting for the deadline to run out. You can clearly hear Bowe saying to Lewis, "You lied Lennox, You lied".. Just like Lennox lied throughout the 1990s when claiming, "They are all affraid".. making claim every top fighter was afraid of Lewis, which was total rubbish.. Lewis was offered career high purses by almost every top fighter of the 1990s, Yet turned everyone of them down. Just like Lewis turned down £10 million in 95 to fight Bowe, when neither of them held a title. Lewis claiming, "He was consentrating regaining his WBC Title".. Yet if he was so sure he could beat Riddick Bowe he would have grabbed the £10 million and beat him...
          Everything Riddick Bowe makes claim of in that video is IMO 100% true.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0eins2DhSo

Comment

• Like Riddick Bowe say's... if Lewis really thought he could beat Bowe, he would have taken the 75-25%.. But Lewis knew he could not beat Bowe of 93. Riddick Bowe done the correct thing by dumping that WBC belt. Bowe was the Undisputed Champion and as Undisputed Champion, he sets the terms. Not Lennox Lewis the contender.. Do you think Tyson Fury has set any terms for his fight with Wladimir Klitschko?.... it is laughable to claim Bowe was afraid of Lewis. Bowe is there on the video telling exactly what happened.
            Last edited by sonnyboyx2; 10-08-2015, 03:11 PM.

Comment

• Seems discussion has moved on from the Ruddock contest, so will begin contributing.

Comment

• 4. Lewis and Bowe Negotiations 1992

Comment

• Nov 13: Bowe defeats Holyfield, claims WBC, WBA & IBF titles

Rock Newman:

"I think that there has to be change, and there’s no [better] place to effect that change than from the perch of the heavyweight champion."

When the WBC threatened to strip Bowe if he didn’t negotiate with Lewis within 30 days of winning the crown, The Rock countered,

"I’ll be damned if I’m gonna let Bowe be dictated to by some little fiefdom down in Mexico."

He has indicated that Bowe will relinquish the titles before he will acquiesce to any demands that Team Bowe deems excessive.

--

Nov 13: The Mirage offer Michael Dokes as opponent for February date.

--

Nov 18: Maloney offers $9 million to Bowe for UK contest

--

Nov 25: New York talks held between Rock Newman, Frank Maloney and Dan Duva

Rock Newman made two offers;

1. Lewis guaranteed $3 million, 90-10% split in favour of Bowe.
                  2. Lewis refuses WBC title, interm contest for $2.5 million then Bowe for $9 million or percentage to be negotiated at later date.

Frank Maloney made one offer;

1. 75-25% split in favour of Bowe.

All offers were rejected by the other party.

Maloney did concede that the second offer was good;

"It's matter of principle. We made a commitment to the WBC. They backed us and we have to honour that agreement."

--

Dec 3: Newman considers Hide

"We are even thinking of fighting Hide next. No-one's really heard of Hide, even in England.

But he's ranked in the top 12 and we are thinking of taking a fight on Superbowl Sunday against a lesser opponent in the top 12. Hide's in that category."

--

Dec 10: Bowe First Defense Opponent Imminent

Rock Newman:

"If I make a deal then Lennox Lewis goes to the back of the line, and chances are slim Bowe would fight him in 1993.

Once I make a commitment I'm not looking at Lennox Lewis."

Newman spoke of a contest in February.

--

Dec 11: Lewis willingly to accept $3 million

Frank Maloney:

"If Lewis insists, we will have to talk again with Bowe's people. The fight will be in April, and we will demand that Bowe has no warmup fight beforehand."

--

Dec 14: Bowe dumps WBC belt

--

Dec 14: WBC elevate Lewis to Champion

--

Dec 18: Bowe signs six-fight-deal

Bowe agreed to the 'flexible' contract that will probably break down into two fights live on HBO cable TV and four on TVKO pay- per-view, Seth Abraham, the president of Time Warner Sports, said.

Abraham said HBO will make efforts to include a contest between Bowe and Britain's Lennox Lewis in the series.

"We're pragmatic, our best strategy is to get both of them under contract and then urge that they fight as soon as possible."

--

Dec 19: Michael Dokes Announced as First Challenger

Bowe guarantee for Dokes contest was $7 million, from which he had to pay Dokes purse, approx. $750,000.

--

Appreciate I have gone over some information already contributed earlier, but is there are information anybody able to insert into that timeline?

Both parties were in discussions with George Foreman prior to him signing to meet Pierre Coetzer - that information may be of use.
                  Last edited by joeandthebums; 10-08-2015, 04:12 PM. Reason: Italic Maloney Quote

Comment

So its nothing but lies again from you.. No evidence whatsoever from you. Just made up lies. Typical, you have never posted a single contributory piece of information on this entire thread. Your only contribution is your usual pack of lies, lies and more made up lies. Your a ****ing waste of fresh air you horrible little midget.
                    You can tell an ex-fighter is punch drunk the same way you can tell if a normal person is regular drunk. But when the answer suits your agenda that gets overlooked, of course.

You are a pathological liar and the worst piece of crap to ever post here. Benny has done such a brilliant job of owning you I didn't feel compelled to play the same tired game with you. Anyone who doesn't see through you is either very new here, or just plain dumb.

And I'm going to apologize to Joeandthebums here because he is making a sincere effort to make this a quality thread. I am going to try and avoid posting on this thread anymore so I don't drag it down. Because everyone knows that Sonnyboy's entire purpose here is to fight with other posters and he'll never, ever stop.

Comment

• Originally posted by Scott9945 View Post
                      You can tell an ex-fighter is punch drunk the same way you can tell if a normal person is regular drunk. But when the answer suits your agenda that gets overlooked, of course.

You are a pathological liar and the worst piece of crap to ever post here. Benny has done such a brilliant job of owning you I didn't feel compelled to play the same tired game with you. Anyone who doesn't see through you is either very new here, or just plain dumb.

And I'm going to apologize to Joeandthebums here because he is making a sincere effort to make this a quality thread. I am going to try and avoid posting on this thread anymore so I don't drag it down. Because everyone knows that Sonnyboy's entire purpose here is to fight with other posters and he'll never, ever stop.
                      Your beaten. You have nothing to add to this thread and never have been able to add anything to this thread. I for one am pleased to see the back of you, because your only purpose on this forum is to name-call. You have done it for years you horrible little midget. You cannot accept that i put up an "incredible defence for what i claim about the career of Lewis" - facts, links, evidence, has all been provided by me. Whereas you, Benny, Joeyzagz, Billeau2, Joseph have not posted a single ounce of information to back up your agenda. You have not once been able to disprove the information i have posted. Your only response has been name calling, ridicule, slander and lies... Your a bunch of hypocrites, who don't have the faintest idea of any boxing history. The majority of you are still in your teenage years. I have burst your bubble and you know it kok zuka.

Comment

Working...
                      X