No announcement yet.

Lennox Lewis: A Career Re-Examined

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by juggernaut666 View Post
    That's not true Tyson was in prison until 94/95 and both were friends who had a verbal agreement not to fight one another anyway if they ever had to....

BOXING; Attention: Challenger Is Dokes, Not Lewis

By MICHAEL MARTINEZ

It is Michael Dokes who will step into the ring Saturday night at Madison
    Square Garden and fight for Riddick Bowe's heavyweight title, but the question that Rock Newman, the champion's manager, can't seem to avoid is this: Why isn't it Lennox Lewis who will be meeting Bowe?

Because boxing is a sport that doesn't always yield to logic, the bout between Bowe and Dokes seems to fall considerably short of epic.

Three months after Bowe beat Evander Holyfield for the undisputed title in a fight that bordered on memorable, Bowe is taking on an opponent who is looking for one last big purse. Dokes, at 34, has lost most of the quickness that once made him a champion. Falling Apart

Lewis, the World Boxing Council's top contender, stood in line to take on the Bowe-Holyfield winner, but when it came time to make a deal and fulfill a signed agreement with the W.B.C., everything fell apart.

Newman offered Lewis $3 million for a title fight, but Frank Maloney, Lewis's manager, rejected it as too little. By the time Maloney and Lewis changed their minds, however, Newman pulled the deal and threw the W.B.C. belt into a trash can rather than be forced to follow its dictum.

Now Newman and Bowe have Dokes, a soft touch for Bowe's first title defense, even if Lewis seems the most worthy opponent.

Why Dokes?

"Because Michael Dokes has nine straight victories, he's the former W.B.A. champion; he's ranked and he's got 50 wins," Newman said in a conference call with reporters yesterday from Bowe's camp in the Poconos. "He deserves another shot, and 14,000 other people think he does, too." 'Why Not?'

Bowe (32-0 with 27 knockouts), asked if he felt that Dokes was an opponent who deserved a title fight, said: "Sure, why not? He's rated in the top 10."

Actually, he isn't. According to the most recent ratings issued by boxing's governing groups -- the World Boxing Association, World Boxing Council and International Boxing Federation -- Dokes (50-3-2 with 32 knockouts) isn't ranked among the world's top 10 fighters.

N.Y times

Again.....

Newman offered Lewis $3 million for a title fight, but Frank Maloney, Lewis's manager, rejected it as too little. By the time Maloney and Lewis changed their minds, however, Newman pulled the deal and threw the W.B.C. belt into a trash can rather than be forced to follow its dictum

Which is exactly what Riddick Bowe claimed.. Cheers Jugger

What this article claims, is the exact wording of what Riddick Bowe made claim. Now me being independent on the matter, i go along with what Champion Bowe claims. Whereas Joeyzagz, Billeau2, Benny, Scott & Co. cannot bring themselves to accept what Bowe claimed. They make claim Riddick Bowe is telling lies, has dementia, is punch-drunk, is a bad person..

Take a long look at their credibility: Do we believe Riddick Bowe or do we believe Frank "Kelly" Moloney

Comment

• Originally posted by billeau2 View Post
      Tyson was not going to fight bowe and you have been proven to be exactly what you are... As Juggy said they were friends, thats a well known fact and again, as others have said Bowe vis a vis Newman quikly rejected any offer to fight Lewis that might have come to fruition.

You are a halfwit through and through. A real idiot who is lucky to get negative attention for trolling.
      Wrong... Every fighter in the World Top 10 Ratings, wanted a fight with Mike Tyson on his release.. Bowe & Tyson friends?.. that is a new one to me!

Riddick Bowe's intentions were to fight Evander Holyfield in a rematch, for a £30 million purse. Lennox Lewis was nothing other than a No1 contender. There was two other No1 contenders waiting to also fight Bowe. IBF No1 contender & WBA No1 contender. Riddick Bowe vs Holyfield (2) was the biggest fight out there by far. Lennox Lewis was unheard of in the USA. A Lewis vs Bowe fight was worth less than £7 million between them. Rock Newman correctly offered Lewis the chance to fight an opponent of his choice, on the undercard of Bowe's next fight. With a guaranteed Bowe fight thereafter. That would have generated massive interest in the USA, it would have been a multi-million dollar fight. But Lewis and his team baulked... They were not interested in fighting Riddick Bowe, They knew they had a fantastic chance to be gifted the WBC Title belt without ever having to fight Riddick Bowe. All they had to do was "Drag their feet" until the WBC deadline was passed..... simple!

Every piece of information available points to Lewis dragging his feet.
      Riddick Bowe claims Lewis dragged his feet, to avoid the deadline..

Comment

• Originally posted by sonnyboyx2 View Post
        [/B]

Which is exactly what Riddick Bowe claimed.. Cheers Jugger

What this article claims, is the exact wording of what Riddick Bowe made claim. Now me being independent on the matter, i go along with what Champion Bowe claims. Whereas Joeyzagz, Billeau2, Benny, Scott & Co. cannot bring themselves to accept what Bowe claimed. They make claim Riddick Bowe is telling lies, has dementia, is punch-drunk, is a bad person..

Take a long look at their credibility: Do we believe Riddick Bowe or do we believe Frank "Kelly" Moloney

Not sure how that makes Bowe look good, Newman REJECTED the offer....it also stated how Bowe fought Dokes...its a clear duck! Bowe isn't even involved here,its Newman,bowe isn't going to admit they avoided Lewis why would they do that?

bowe and Tyson were friends and went to school together at a young age this is common knowledge. they grew up knowing one another in Brownesville.

I also wouldn't take bowes word over anything,as it would probably reflect his work ethnic as a fighter...lazy and do less if I can attitude.
        Last edited by juggernaut666; 10-10-2015, 11:12 AM.

Comment

Tyson was not going to fight bowe and you have been proven to be exactly what you are... As Juggy said they were friends, thats a well known fact and again, as others have said Bowe vis a vis Newman quikly rejected any offer to fight Lewis that might have come to fruition.

You are a halfwit through and through. A real idiot who is lucky to get negative attention for trolling.
          And that's all it is. Someone who craves attention, even if it is negative attention. And someone blinded by hatred of Lennox Lewis and Marvin Hagler.

Funny how he's been repeatedly proven wrong, yet claims he never has been and after being exposed, uses lies and deflection as a defense mechanism, then says he has exposed the other person and declares himself the winner. If this were boxing, the ref would be waving it off for a TKO loss.

Comment

Nope, i am having fun here on this thread. i am enjoying your imput and your little snipes at me. Feel free to drop me a PM if you struggle with anything to do with this thread as i will be around to the end.
            Another lie then.

Comment

• Originally posted by Anthony342 View Post
              And that's all it is. Someone who craves attention, even if it is negative attention. And someone blinded by hatred of Lennox Lewis and Marvin Hagler.

Funny how he's been repeatedly proven wrong, yet claims he never has been and after being exposed, uses lies and deflection as a defense mechanism, then says he has exposed the other person and declares himself the winner. If this were boxing, the ref would be waving it off for a TKO loss.
              yeah thats correct Anthony. Its also funny how the list of posters who are lennox fans keeps growing for funny sonny. Hes been poleaxed and thinks hes still on his feet.

Comment

Wrong... Every fighter in the World Top 10 Ratings, wanted a fight with Mike Tyson on his release.. Bowe & Tyson friends?.. that is a new one to me!

Riddick Bowe's intentions were to fight Evander Holyfield in a rematch, for a £30 million purse. Lennox Lewis was nothing other than a No1 contender. There was two other No1 contenders waiting to also fight Bowe. IBF No1 contender & WBA No1 contender. Riddick Bowe vs Holyfield (2) was the biggest fight out there by far. Lennox Lewis was unheard of in the USA. A Lewis vs Bowe fight was worth less than £7 million between them. Rock Newman correctly offered Lewis the chance to fight an opponent of his choice, on the undercard of Bowe's next fight. With a guaranteed Bowe fight thereafter. That would have generated massive interest in the USA, it would have been a multi-million dollar fight. But Lewis and his team baulked... They were not interested in fighting Riddick Bowe, They knew they had a fantastic chance to be gifted the WBC Title belt without ever having to fight Riddick Bowe. All they had to do was "Drag their feet" until the WBC deadline was passed..... simple!

Every piece of information available points to Lewis dragging his feet.
                Riddick Bowe claims Lewis dragged his feet, to avoid the deadline..
                Ok you idiot;

http://www.nytimes.com/1992/11/15/sp...-champion.html

First paragraph. Bowe and Tyson

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69Oo1Pa72uM

larry king show where Tyson says so much and that he would not fight bowe

GET OUT OF THIS ONE JACKWAD!!!!! YOU ARE OWNED BABY NOW GO AWAY

Comment

• Originally posted by Anthony342 View Post

you are deluded.. if i hated Marvin Hagler, why would i pay to go see the guy in 2016 ?

Comment

Ok you idiot;

http://www.nytimes.com/1992/11/15/sp...-champion.html

First paragraph. Bowe and Tyson

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69Oo1Pa72uM

larry king show where Tyson says so much and that he would not fight bowe

GET OUT OF THIS ONE JACKWAD!!!!! YOU ARE OWNED BABY NOW GO AWAY
                    you couldn't owe me you little midget.. You are trying to deflect the issue from Lewis v Bowe over to Tyson v Bowe... Jugger provided the link which backs up Lewis dragging his feet..

I cannot wait unto we move onto Lewis vs Grant, Botha, Mavrovic, Akinwande, Briggs, Jackson, Fortune, McCall 1 & 2, Rahman, Holyfield, Morrison, Tyson & Vitali

Comment

This post is brilliant Benny.. I love it when posters come on here and spend 20-30 minutes, typing out a "Hate post".. it makes me feel satisfaction. It makes me feel it has all been worth it. By reading your post i feel warmth inside, knowing that you have been reading my excellent posts on this subject. I know that you are hurting inside knowing the truth about your hero's career.

I get emails on a weekly basis from dozens of boxing fans, thanking me for exposing LL.. Thanking me for telling it how it really unfolded. Benny, i know you are a clown. But your post above tells me i have hit the nail on the head. i know how you like to boast, "Lewis beats Muhammad Ali 8 out of 10" Ha Ha Ha.. You are a joker Benny... Here in the UK the name Benny means idiot
                      Yeah awesome mate. I'm sure you do.

Lewis beats Ali 8 out of 10 times? What the **** are you talking about you daft muppet? I don't think Lewis beats Ali at all, let alone 8/10. Certainly never said such a thing. Stop pulling your little inferiority complex liars act again.

You actually think I spend 20-30 minutes on that reply?

You can only wish Sonny. You can only wish.

Then again, considering you spend most of the day and night, if not more, writing literally hundreds and hundreds of posts about the same thing, spending hour upon hour, every day of every week for years on end, repeating the same tired arguments everyone laughs at time and time and time again, I can see why you might think that other normal people here spend a minute fraction of that time laughing at you. Sorry to burst your bubble though. You probably think most people around here spend lots of time on one post like an obsessive weirdo, but I got news for you mate. That took all of one or two minutes to write, just as this reply has as well.

Maybe you havent noticed, but all of my replies are about that long, to everyone here on any subject. The only way you're special Sonny is in your own, sad little head.

20/30 minutes?!?

3.38-3.41 it's taken 3 mins Sonny.

Comment

Working...
                      X