No announcement yet.

Pea, Roy or Floyd?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pea, Roy or Floyd?

Roy is not retired, but it does not really matter.
    Floyd is supposedly retired.

Out of these three who is...

The Best (how would Roy fare against the greats at 60-75? etc...)
    The Greatest (greatest careers)

Feel free to add your own awards (defense, offense, power, speed, chin, heart, etc), whatever you feel like mentioning, but please stick to these 3 fighters.

NOTE
    I picked these 3 because they were very gifted and skilled fighters. I started after Leonard, because there is a clean break as in there is no overlapping between Pea and SRL and I am left with 3 fighters, which is a good number. I would have ended up wanting to add Duran, and then probably Ali etc...

I left out anyone who was beaten by some of the 3 (so JCC, Hop, Toney, Pac are out)

I understand this selection is arbitrary, but I think I used decent criteria, and I would suggest we keep it about these 3 (Pea, RJ, PBF)!

If I had to rank them it would probably go;

Whitaker
    Roy
    Floyd.

Hard to rank to be honest.

In some mythical P4P H2H scenario I'd pick Roy but they are always difficult to do.

Comment

Out of the three you listed, I would rank them:
      1. Mayweather Jr
      2. Jones Jr
      3. Whitaker

Floyd is the best defensively of the group and probably has had the better career. Floyd also had a higher boxing IQ.

Roy had the Fastest Hands in Boxing History and Power in both hands.

Pernell was probably more complete than both (with the combination Power, Speed, Defense). He was robbed in the Chavez and Dela Hoya Fights.

Comment

Originally posted by wmute View Post
        Roy is not retired, but it does not really matter.
        Floyd is supposedly retired.

Out of these three who is...

The Best (how would Roy fare against the greats at 60-75? etc...)
        The Greatest (greatest careers)

Feel free to add your own awards (defense, offense, power, speed, chin, heart, etc), whatever you feel like mentioning, but please stick to these 3 fighters.

NOTE
        I picked these 3 because they were very gifted and skilled fighters. I started after Leonard, because there is a clean break as in there is no overlapping between Pea and SRL and I am left with 3 fighters, which is a good number. I would have ended up wanting to add Duran, and then probably Ali etc...

I left out anyone who was beaten by some of the 3 (so JCC, Hop, Toney, Pac are out)

I understand this selection is arbitrary, but I think I used decent criteria, and I would suggest we keep it about these 3 (Pea, RJ, PBF)!

As far as careers, Mayweather would be number 1 on the list for me. As far as how they would do historically head to head, that's more difficult. I think they are all pretty much equal there with tough competition in their divisions. The most dominant would be Jones at 168 while 135 and 147 are extremely tough divisions historically.

Overall based on careers I would give Mayweather the edge.

Comment

H2h

Roy
          Pernell
          Floyd

Resume
          Floyd
          Roy
          Pernell

Atg ranking IMO
          Floyd
          Roy
          Pernell

Comment

Roy is clearly the best h2h,,, I feel pernell and floyd are about equal in that department..

Floyd I think has the best resume with longevity and depth
            Roy probably has the best 2 wins in toney and Hopkins
            Pernell has a great resume but no huge wins like roy, nor does he have the longevity and depth of floyd

Comment

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post

Whitaker
              Roy
              Floyd.

In some mythical P4P H2H scenario I'd pick Roy but they are always difficult to do.
              You would put Whitaker above Jones? Im impressed. I wonder if anyone else puts Whitaker above jones on the thread.

Comment

Originally posted by billeau2 View Post
                You would put Whitaker above Jones? Im impressed. I wonder if anyone else puts Whitaker above jones on the thread.
                It can certainly be argued that Whitaker ranks higher than Jones.

Comment

Originally posted by Sugar Adam Ali View Post
                  Roy is clearly the best h2h,,, I feel pernell and floyd are about equal in that department..

Floyd I think has the best resume with longevity and depth
                  Roy probably has the best 2 wins in toney and Hopkins
                  Pernell has a great resume but no huge wins like roy, nor does he have the longevity and depth of floyd
                  I'd go with Chavez and Nelson over Toney and Hopkins personally.

But I agree Roy would be my pick H2H.

Comment

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post

Whitaker
                    Roy
                    Floyd.

I am also leaning towards Roy. Behind him I would probably put Floyd because of his versatility.

Comment

Working...
                    X