Oscar De La Hoya is pretty damn underrated now

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sugar Adam Ali View Post
    I think he is underrated..

Everyone seems to forget all his 90s fights, and only focus in on post tito fights when Oscar was in the downhill...

Oscar could have beaten everyone that floyd has...

I always wonder what oscar's legacy would be if he got the nod in the trinidad..
    People would still remember him running away the last four rounds, and maybe with more resentment as well.

Comment

Hoya was a good fighter. He should have won the decision against Trinidad. You can give him the second Mosely fight too. His problem with gas was that he was already living the high life on his millions. He might be the best one handed fighter in history. His lefhook was a thing of wonder right up until Floyd sr. screwed it up. That big lefhook never made another appearance after that. Blessed with great legs, as well, he made the most of them. I, too, think he beats everything little Floyd has beaten. Since he didn't, he cannot get credit for it. Prime for prime, Hoya and Lil' Floyd seem like a dead heat. But, then, I do not rate Lil' Floyd high on the all time list either. Higher than Oscar though. I put Hoya above the heavy-legged Trinidad.

Comment

Originally posted by Sugar Adam Ali View Post
        I think he is underrated..

Everyone seems to forget all his 90s fights, and only focus in on post tito fights when Oscar was in the downhill...

Oscar could have beaten everyone that floyd has...

I always wonder what oscar's legacy would be if he got the nod in the trinidad..
        He lost twice to Mosley so apparently not.

I don't think he ever would have beaten Pacquiao with no right hand.
        Last edited by joseph5620; 08-24-2015, 07:20 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott9945 View Post
          People would still remember him running away the last four rounds, and maybe with more resentment as well.
          That much is true...Oscar didn't help his cause any.

Comment

Originally posted by billeau2 View Post
            oscar is a guy who I always take a second look at... He seemed to fade late in fights, but he did fight great comp and as Soul Surviver says it is a myth that he lost to great competition. If we take the Vargus fight we have a guy who much like Judah, came along banging em down and doing what he should have.... until (in Vargas case) he ran into Trinidad.

Its easy to assume Tito ruined Vargas but thats debatable, then if we take the Quartey fight and understand that the Trinidad fight could have gone either way.... Oscar comes up looking pretty damn good!

It is the height of hypocracy for any floyd fan to call De la Hoya a cherry picker lol! I would say both guys are modern fighter who had very good sense about whom to take on...and when, and leave it at that.

De La Hoya is hard to define as a fighter. When we think of Mayweather we get visions of ring craft, incredible speed and guile...Trinidad we see a puncher through and through, Mosley the speed demon, Forest the boxer.
            Greatness usually implies a set of traits...its kind of hard with De la Hoya. He was skilled and may have been a great fighter, and he was a boxer puncher, but what was De La Hoya? A devistating puncher? a skillful boxer with guile? a defensive wizard? its hard to say.

I am on the fence with De la Hoya.
            I never said "Oscar is a cherry picker"

I said Oscar cherry picked more than people like to remember. Which is the truth.

Who I am and am not a fan of is completely irrelevant to that.

Comment

Originally posted by joseph5620 View Post
              He lost twice to Mosley so apparently not.

I don't think he ever would have beaten Pacquiao with no right hand.
              I doubt he beats Pacauaio either.

Comment

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
                I never said "Oscar is a cherry picker"

I said Oscar cherry picked more than people like to remember. Which is the truth.

Who I am and am not a fan of is completely irrelevant to that.
                It sure is the truth. Delahoya wanted no part of Ike Quartey until Ike was inactive and looked vulnerable in a previous fight with Jose Luis Lopez. To make things worse, Delahoya postponed the fight even further with a "cut" that never existed.

Prime Oscar wasn't locked in on fighting prime top fighters either. David Kamau, Camacho, and long past prime Chavez were cherry picks all the way.
                Last edited by joseph5620; 08-24-2015, 10:27 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by joseph5620 View Post
                  It sure is the truth. Delahoya wanted no part of Ike Quartey until Ike was inactive and looked vulnerable in a previous fight with Jose Luis Lopez. To make things worse, Delahoya postponed the fight even further with a "cut" that never existed.

Prime Oscar wasn't locked in on fighting prime top fighters either. David Kamau, Camacho, and long past prime Chavez were cherry picks all the way.
                  Don't forget that totally unnecessary fight against Arturo Gatti.

Comment

That's because...........

Finally, a thread with integrity that makes sense. Any fighter who goes above and beyond to challenge themselves, fight in and fight out, I appreciate. Oscar was that type of fighter. If he was fighting in the 80's, he would've fought SRL, Hagler, Hearns, and Duran. FACTS. He would've lost all of them, but he would've at least gave the people what they wanted. All of the immature posts about him on here over the years don't mean ANYTHING. None of you idiots can take away who he was as a fighter. He beat Tito and he beat Mosley in the rematch. Prime for prime, he beats Mayweather, 10 out of 10 times. You see how many rounds an old, full-time promoter, part-time fighter, who was stuck in mud won against a PRIME Floyd, right? Imagine Oscar in his prime who could bounce and jab your neck off. You guys hate to admit facts but love to bash the wrong guys. Smh. That's the typical American for you. They are arrogant, egotistical, unappreciative, love controversy, don't like to admit when they're wrong, and they often root for the bad guy. It's sad really. Anyway, hats off to one of my favorite fighters, ever. He always fought the best nomatter what. He fought for the fans. The only fights he didn't fight that almost happened were, Wright and Forrest. He was In talks to face them both at one point or another. It doesn't matter though because at least we know the fights didn't happen because he was ducking. #saluteODLH

Comment

DLH was my favorite fighter at one point, then I looked back and saw some glaring flaws and I'd day he's overrated if anything.

Comment

Working...
                      X