No announcement yet.

Which fighters historically do you feel are underrated

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by NChristo View Post
    Avatar is removed and it has banned underneath their name.
    And you can't leave them green/red K.

Comment

• I cannot say I am going to miss him. He had no knowledge or style. I had not responded to his nonsense for months. How frothfully others continued to respond to his prolonged baiting surprised me. He was an internet entity upon whom you could accurately compose a definition of troll as it applies to internet formus. He must be an excellent copy of the original protogenoi. I speak of him in the past tense, but I dread that he will arise from his own ashes to once again disrupt scholarship and discussion like a wrecking ball in a wine cellar. If not him, then hordes of his kindred spirits will descend like a biblical plague upon tranquil reflections.

What does his banishment mean? Is he banned only from this section? I know that deep caves have been installed by thoughtful web masters for his kind where they can consort with other denizens of the deep. I assume he has been once again chained in one of these dungeons. Does anyone know the details? I would not have him tortured. I will not stand for that.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Old LefHook View Post
        I cannot say I am going to miss him. He had no knowledge or style. I had not responded to his nonsense for months. How frothfully others continued to respond to his prolonged baiting surprised me. He was an internet entity upon whom you could accurately compose a definition of troll as it applies to internet formus. He must be an excellent copy of the original protogenoi. I speak of him in the past tense, but I dread that he will arise from his own ashes to once again disrupt scholarship and discussion like a wrecking ball in a wine cellar. If not him, then hordes of his kindred spirits will descend like a biblical plague upon tranquil reflections.

What does his banishment mean? Is he banned only from this section? I know that deep caves have been installed by thoughtful web masters for his kind where they can consort with other denizens of the deep. I assume he has been once again chained in one of these dungeons. Does anyone know the details? I would not have him tortured. I will not stand for that.
        Banishments are usually just suspensions. So unfortunately you can expect a return sooner rather than later. Sure hope I'm wrong though.

Comment

• Tony Canzoneri fought through 3 weight classes, fought the best in all the classes and was only stopped once in 175 pro bouts!
          At feather then lightweight and junior welterweight he was the champion of all those classes at the same time and only the third man to do it. He fought from 1925 through 1939 and to say he was "active" is an under statement!

A terrific action fighter who is in the World International Hall of Fame he doesn't get many accalades I guess because the newer generations of fans don't study the sports history to discover the greats.

Canzoneri was a little guy who stood 5'4" and fought from 119 to 145, he was
          a hell of a fighter and could get rough quickly if his opponent strayed from the rules.

Ray

Comment

• Originally posted by Scott9945 View Post
            Banishments are usually just suspensions. So unfortunately you can expect a return sooner rather than later. Sure hope I'm wrong though.
            Jughead and Sonny come on here not to discuss boxing but to make shocking statements and belittle everyone with an oppsing opinion as know-nothings. They have enshrined their own opionions in stone, have never changed on a single point, and will never change. Surely, they are drug addicts begging to squeeze the cotton of their associates. Sonny is every bit as disruptive as Jugbrain. They should both be ostracized from polite society.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Old LefHook View Post
              Jughead and Sonny come on here not to discuss boxing but to make shocking statements and belittle everyone with an oppsing opinion as know-nothings. They have enshrined their own opionions in stone, have never changed on a single point, and will never change. Surely, they are drug addicts begging to squeeze the cotton of their associates. Sonny is every bit as disruptive as Jugbrain. They should both be ostracized from polite society.
              Agree 100%. Their major purpose here is to start fights with other posters which quickly devolve into flame wars. The proof is there for everyone to see.

Comment

• Originally posted by Scott9945 View Post
                Agree 100%. Their major purpose here is to start fights with other posters which quickly devolve into flame wars. The proof is there for everyone to see.
                Exactly.... A lot of us don't agree, but usually it's goes like this

" I disagree, I think yada yada yada." And person will make their point.. The other will counter, but it's all civil..

With them its like
                "Your an idiot, this dude sucks, rose tinted glasses, the guy was non skilled and slow, your an idiot for thinking he was good."

I have only been here a few years, but so wish the history section would go back to the days of humean being the major antagonist.. I personally never had a problem with humean and enjoyed his posts, but remember when greeh couldn't stand the dude.. But we all talked boxing and didn't troll post.. Even if you didn't agree with someone, it was always civil... Over the past 2 months or so, it has become very uncivil around here

Comment

• Anyways,,,, back on topic of underrated fighters historically... I honestly believe Oscar de la Hoya is severely underrated and I will tell you why..

Most everyone rates him as a hall of famer, but many if not most think he it's laughable that he is an atg... But if you look closely at his resume, the dude was about as great as it gets, outside of the super elite like robinson, Armstrong, greb, ali, etc..

Oscars's career highlights

-1992 gold medalist

- in his 4th or 5th pro fight, he fought and beatdown top fringe contender jeff Mayweather

- with only a dozen fights, he fought world class guys like molina, ruales, leija, genaro, paez and brutally beat them down.. Oscar was a pure monster at 130-135. Oscar at that weight would blow about anyone away..

- had his first superfight vs chavez.. Oscar was the first guy to beat down and pummel the great chavez.. Oscar was the young lion vs the old cagey vet.. Oscar had now won belts at 130,135,140 and was undefeated, with good names on the resume.

-moved up to welter and fought and beat the kingpin pernell Whitaker.. Yes, pernell AMD chavez were both past prime but still the top dogs,,, Oscar didn't have a time machine and couldn't have fought them any sooner.. To be the man you got to beat the man, and Oscar did just that.....

- at welter, Oscar had a very deep division and fought all the top guys, all undefeated and prime Ike quartey, tito trinidad and shane mosely... Oscar beat Ike in one of the greatest most underrated fights of the past 25 years.. Then fought the p4p undefeated trinidad and got hosed on the decision. I feel if the decision vs trinidad goes oscar's way, his legacy and ranking is much higher.. Then Oscar fought undefeated p4p guy shane mosely.. Oscar was competitive but shane clearly won.. This should have been oscars first loss..

-then Oscar beats down gatti

-then Oscar goes to 154 and beats castellejo amd arch rival Fernando vargas.. Stopping vargas in a thrilling fight..

-then rematches shane at 154, and gets robbed of a clear victory... It wasnt a horrible robbery like Bradley-manny, but it was a clear Oscar win, though shane rallied late..

-then Oscar goes up to middleweight and challenges sturm and hopkins... Oscar was definitely out of his league but hung tough, but was clearly beaten by both sturm and hopkins.. Hopkins at the time was p4p #1

- then Oscar goes back to 154 and beheads ricardo mayorga

- then fights undefeated p4p #1 floyd mayweather,, loses, but gives floyd one of his more competitive fights

- then goes to 150 and fights Forbes, a decent fighter, but no match for an aging de la hoya, even though Oscar struggles at times

-fights p4p #1 manny pac.. Comes down too much in weight at 147 and gets beatdown

No one has ever fought 3 different p4p #1 guys like Oscar did with floyd, manny, hopkins.. And then throw in p4p shane and tito, and long time undefeated Ike, and pernell was still top 3 p4p.. No other fighter in history can say they fought that caliber of competition for that long.. From 1997-2008 Oscar fought the cream of the crop and only had decisive losses to shane 1, sturm, hopkins, floyd, manny... He avenged the shane loss if not for the robbery, at middleweight he had no chance, he gave prime floyd a helluva fight, and was a drained zombie vs manny.. I honestly think if Oscar stayed at 154 he would have not been beaten down like he was vs manny at 147...

No one else has ever faced that type of competition.. 3 #1 p4p fighters within 5 fights is crazy, and add in undefeated prime Ike, tito, shane in 16 months... And then throw in victories over chavez, pernell, Mayorga, gatti, vargas.. And then top it all off with brutal victories over genaro, leija, ruelas, molina, paez..

Oscar from his early days to his last fight, always fought the toughest challenges and didn't duck anyone..

People only seem to remember him for running vs tito, or losing all his big fights or hopkins floyd manny.. But dude was way past it by then... Oscar at his peak 94-2000 was one of the greatest fighters I have ever seen, especially offensively...
                  I don't think he is some top 20 ATG, but I def think he is one of the best 75 guys to ever lace'em up, and gets severely overlooked

Comment

• Originally posted by Sugar Adam Ali View Post
                    Exactly.... A lot of us don't agree, but usually it's goes like this

" I disagree, I think yada yada yada." And person will make their point.. The other will counter, but it's all civil..

With them its like
                    "Your an idiot, this dude sucks, rose tinted glasses, the guy was non skilled and slow, your an idiot for thinking he was good."

I have only been here a few years, but so wish the history section would go back to the days of humean being the major antagonist.. I personally never had a problem with humean and enjoyed his posts, but remember when greeh couldn't stand the dude.. But we all talked boxing and didn't troll post.. Even if you didn't agree with someone, it was always civil... Over the past 2 months or so, it has become very uncivil around here
                    Totally agree and IMO Humean has become one of the better posters here. The thing I so hate with the net is that if one lets a troll troll away it encourages them. I would say this: Use the report button because apparently thats what the mods want done. Maybe this will enable them to get rid of the trolls, I hope so.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sugar Adam Ali View Post
                      Anyways,,,, back on topic of underrated fighters historically... I honestly believe Oscar de la Hoya is severely underrated and I will tell you why..

Most everyone rates him as a hall of famer, but many if not most think he it's laughable that he is an atg... But if you look closely at his resume, the dude was about as great as it gets, outside of the super elite like robinson, Armstrong, greb, ali, etc..

Oscars's career highlights

-1992 gold medalist

- in his 4th or 5th pro fight, he fought and beatdown top fringe contender jeff Mayweather

- with only a dozen fights, he fought world class guys like molina, ruales, leija, genaro, paez and brutally beat them down.. Oscar was a pure monster at 130-135. Oscar at that weight would blow about anyone away..

- had his first superfight vs chavez.. Oscar was the first guy to beat down and pummel the great chavez.. Oscar was the young lion vs the old cagey vet.. Oscar had now won belts at 130,135,140 and was undefeated, with good names on the resume.

-moved up to welter and fought and beat the kingpin pernell Whitaker.. Yes, pernell AMD chavez were both past prime but still the top dogs,,, Oscar didn't have a time machine and couldn't have fought them any sooner.. To be the man you got to beat the man, and Oscar did just that.....

- at welter, Oscar had a very deep division and fought all the top guys, all undefeated and prime Ike quartey, tito trinidad and shane mosely... Oscar beat Ike in one of the greatest most underrated fights of the past 25 years.. Then fought the p4p undefeated trinidad and got hosed on the decision. I feel if the decision vs trinidad goes oscar's way, his legacy and ranking is much higher.. Then Oscar fought undefeated p4p guy shane mosely.. Oscar was competitive but shane clearly won.. This should have been oscars first loss..

-then Oscar beats down gatti

-then Oscar goes to 154 and beats castellejo amd arch rival Fernando vargas.. Stopping vargas in a thrilling fight..

-then rematches shane at 154, and gets robbed of a clear victory... It wasnt a horrible robbery like Bradley-manny, but it was a clear Oscar win, though shane rallied late..

-then Oscar goes up to middleweight and challenges sturm and hopkins... Oscar was definitely out of his league but hung tough, but was clearly beaten by both sturm and hopkins.. Hopkins at the time was p4p #1

- then Oscar goes back to 154 and beheads ricardo mayorga

- then fights undefeated p4p #1 floyd mayweather,, loses, but gives floyd one of his more competitive fights

- then goes to 150 and fights Forbes, a decent fighter, but no match for an aging de la hoya, even though Oscar struggles at times

-fights p4p #1 manny pac.. Comes down too much in weight at 147 and gets beatdown

No one has ever fought 3 different p4p #1 guys like Oscar did with floyd, manny, hopkins.. And then throw in p4p shane and tito, and long time undefeated Ike, and pernell was still top 3 p4p.. No other fighter in history can say they fought that caliber of competition for that long.. From 1997-2008 Oscar fought the cream of the crop and only had decisive losses to shane 1, sturm, hopkins, floyd, manny... He avenged the shane loss if not for the robbery, at middleweight he had no chance, he gave prime floyd a helluva fight, and was a drained zombie vs manny.. I honestly think if Oscar stayed at 154 he would have not been beaten down like he was vs manny at 147...

No one else has ever faced that type of competition.. 3 #1 p4p fighters within 5 fights is crazy, and add in undefeated prime Ike, tito, shane in 16 months... And then throw in victories over chavez, pernell, Mayorga, gatti, vargas.. And then top it all off with brutal victories over genaro, leija, ruelas, molina, paez..

Oscar from his early days to his last fight, always fought the toughest challenges and didn't duck anyone..

People only seem to remember him for running vs tito, or losing all his big fights or hopkins floyd manny.. But dude was way past it by then... Oscar at his peak 94-2000 was one of the greatest fighters I have ever seen, especially offensively...
                      I don't think he is some top 20 ATG, but I def think he is one of the best 75 guys to ever lace'em up, and gets severely overlooked
                      Great post. One of the best points you make is regarding the Trinidad fight. This could have gone either way and it would have made oscar look much stronger. Also, he was competative to the point where the Mayweather fight was a split decision, so again, what if this decision goes his way?

Comment

Working...
                      X