No announcement yet.

Forum Picks Greatest Middleweight

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by billeau2 View Post
    part of the reason I can't give a pick on a thread like this is because of guys like Greb who we only know about with such little info....greb was a real presser...a presser the likes of which even hagler could only approximate. One can see scenerios where greb can deal with most other guys...I mean while we can question if hagler of Monzon could find Jones, there is no doubt in my mind that Greb presses on and tests Roy like the later guys did, you just can't avoid the guy the entire fight aint gonna happen. But alas we don't have enough to really reconstruct Greb like we can some of the other guys mentioned....props to Greb
    Indeed. Another good post from you.
    You're a credit to this part of Boxingscene.

Who beat who best middleweight ever, so they all have to fight each other and we pick who we think would win, come out on top of that tournament say.

The best middleweight ever on all things considered (record, resumé, technical ability, legacy and who beats who) is either Greb, Monzon or Hagler, I think it's Edward Harry Greb.

But as this is a who beats who type of poll, like a super 6 kind of system, it's not too hard to imagine a prime Jones Jr because we have to only take into consideration that what happens inside the ring and inside the ring only. Therefor it's hard to pick a man (Greb) who we have no footage of.

Going off of what I've seen and watched, it could well be Jones Jr, Robinson or Hagler.

I think Robinson touches all these other guys a lotttttt during these fights. I can see Robinson doing what Leonard did but better, knocking Hagler down at least once. I can see Robinson beating Jones Jr too whilst looking a tad lost at points as Jones Jr throws shots at angles and moved in and out in angles that Robinson and his era just didn't see back then.

Comment

Originally posted by TOE-TO-TOE View Post
      Indeed. Another good post from you.
      You're a credit to this part of Boxingscene.

Who beat who best middleweight ever, so they all have to fight each other and we pick who we think would win, come out on top of that tournament say.

The best middleweight ever on all things considered (record, resumé, technical ability, legacy and who beats who) is either Greb, Monzon or Hagler, I think it's Edward Harry Greb.

But as this is a who beats who type of poll, like a super 6 kind of system, it's not too hard to imagine a prime Jones Jr because we have to only take into consideration that what happens inside the ring and inside the ring only. Therefor it's hard to pick a man (Greb) who we have no footage of.

Going off of what I've seen and watched, it could well be Jones Jr, Robinson or Hagler.

I think Robinson touches all these other guys a lotttttt during these fights. I can see Robinson doing what Leonard did but better, knocking Hagler down at least once. I can see Robinson beating Jones Jr too whilst looking a tad lost at points as Jones Jr throws shots at angles and moved in and out in angles that Robinson and his era just didn't see back then.
      I really wonder....because I don't think it will happen in my lifetime...But given how far people have developed quantum theory as a computer technology...There will probably come a day when every last possible outcome can be calculated, from the way Robinson was toilet trained, to what Roy Jones had for breakfast the morning of a theoretical bout between two theoretical past fighters. if the quantum computer can take data from two present fighters and be absolutely correct in most predictions, we may yet have an idea about who can beat who! But we are still far away from this breakthrough.

Comment

Roy Jones could never have made 160 for any length of time at all with fight day weigh ins, so it makes it hard to judge him as a middleweight properly. I always remember him being much bigger and weighing much more than the guys he fought at 160, apart from Hopkins and Tate maybe.

It's a tricky one to judge properly. The guy that fought at 168 and 175 was certainly not what you would get fighting at 160 because he could never have made that weight for more than a couple of years max when he was still young, or if he did it would be as a very dehydrated fighter.

Comment

Originally posted by BennyST View Post
          Roy Jones could never have made 160 for any length of time at all with fight day weigh ins, so it makes it hard to judge him as a middleweight properly. I always remember him being much bigger and weighing much more than the guys he fought at 160, apart from Hopkins and Tate maybe.

It's a tricky one to judge properly. The guy that fought at 168 and 175 was certainly not what you would get fighting at 160 because he could never have made that weight for more than a couple of years max when he was still young, or if he did it would be as a very dehydrated fighter.
          Yes, Roy Juicin' Jones (RJJ) was too big for middleweight.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Corso View Post
            Sugar Ray Robinson...........the Blue Print for a boxer/puncher!
            ... It can't be other than Sugar Ray Robinson.......................................

Comment

The original Sugar Ray, it's gotta be. Fast, hard hitting and a very good chin. Btw I don't think McClelan should be in any greatest of polls.

Comment

where's the cotto option? iriots.

Comment

Originally posted by soul_survivor View Post
                  The original Sugar Ray, it's gotta be. Fast, hard hitting and a very good chin. Btw I don't think McClelan should be in any greatest of polls.
                  It is because this is a who beats who poll rather than one based on a lot of other measures.

Comment

Robinson, Monzon , Hagler are the three greatest for me.

But Robinson was the best.

Comment

Greb is so ****ing overrated its not funny. There isn't even any damn video of the guy and the few training videos of his that are around, are pathetic to say the least. Theres a video of him shadowboxing where he looks like a ******ed child trying to catch a butterfly.

Comment

Working...
                      X