No announcement yet.

Forum Picks Greatest Middleweight

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BattlingNelson View Post
    I agree on the Monzon assessment. The one I think he'd have the biggest difficulty with is Roy Jones. This is my perception. It's tough to back up given the fact that Jones's record at MW is shallow.

How do you see Monzon deal with Jones's speed, awkeardness?
    Indeed! Roy was murder on anyone with a conventional bent. Willfullness talent and tecnique are 3 pillars that speed and freaky athletic ability can be a wrecking ball to. Its hard to even pick one or the other but I certainly think Roy's assets would be a handful.

Comment

Originally posted by The Old LefHook View Post
      Good question, because Monzon was speed-deficient, it was his weak area. Carlos would have to punch while being punched to solve this one. It would take a special toughness to endure Jone's power to land his own. I would count on his toughness. Jones punches harder, Monzon has a better chin. They are able to knock each other out. It would come down to whether he was able to land anything for all his efforts. He will have to punch every time Jones moves forward, without waiting for him to do anything. If you waited for Jones to do something, it happened too fast to react efficiently. Firefight. Monzon had a great defense, but I think his offense would have to be his defense in this fight. If he can hit while being hit, I feel he should win, due to more heart and durability.
      I can't help looking at the james Toney fight as the blueprint for this one. All the assets and will in the world mr Toney had, his fight with Nunn pure genius in his ability to hang in there and become the better puncher when he couldn't be the better boxer. Roy's speed may have been too much? of course Monzon had better reach and a special quality, a way to find a way to win.

Comment

For me, either Hagler or Robinson. I choose Marvin since Sugar was generally considered his best at welter and middleweight was Marvin's territory.

Comment

Originally posted by TIMELESS View Post
          I am the only vote for Greb!!!

So so bad!

What the **** boys!
          part of the reason I can't give a pick on a thread like this is because of guys like Greb who we only know about with such little info....greb was a real presser...a presser the likes of which even hagler could only approximate. One can see scenerios where greb can deal with most other guys...I mean while we can question if hagler of Monzon could find Jones, there is no doubt in my mind that Greb presses on and tests Roy like the later guys did, you just can't avoid the guy the entire fight aint gonna happen. But alas we don't have enough to really reconstruct Greb like we can some of the other guys mentioned....props to Greb

Comment

Originally posted by billeau2 View Post
            part of the reason I can't give a pick on a thread like this is because of guys like Greb who we only know about with such little info....greb was a real presser...a presser the likes of which even hagler could only approximate. One can see scenerios where greb can deal with most other guys...I mean while we can question if hagler of Monzon could find Jones, there is no doubt in my mind that Greb presses on and tests Roy like the later guys did, you just can't avoid the guy the entire fight aint gonna happen. But alas we don't have enough to really reconstruct Greb like we can some of the other guys mentioned....props to Greb
            True. But I feel most of the great middleweights would reach Jones. That is why they are great. They are not the kind that stood around meekly and let themselves be shut out.

Ray Robinson is going to hit Roy Jones. There is no one he cannot hit. What happens when he does is up for debate, but hit him he will. That goes for the other greats too. They did not stand around marveling at their opponents' speed. They came to fight, and Roy Jones would be forced to fight with them IMO.

Are there actually guys walking around who figure what Jones did to shoe clerks he will do to other ATGs?

Comment

Originally posted by The Old LefHook View Post
              True. But I feel most of the great middleweights would reach Jones. That is why they are great. They are not the kind that stood around meekly and let themselves be shut out.

Ray Robinson is going to hit Roy Jones. There is no one he cannot hit. What happens when he does is up for debate, but hit him he will. That goes for the other greats too. They did not stand around marveling at their opponents' speed. They came to fight, and Roy Jones would be forced to fight with them IMO.

Are there actually guys walking around who figure what Jones did to shoe clerks he will do to other ATGs?
              I am of the minority opinion that Tarver's punch was not so lucky. Tarver was so pissed at Roy that he hung in there and wasn't skittish. Roy backed people off so many times when he feinted because they were afraid of getting hit while Tarver walked right through. I agree that the great ones would hang in there and not be put off

Comment

Must be SRR.

Comment

I voted Monzon but I probably should have chosen Jones.

Comment

For #1 I pick SRR. #2 is very debatable. Could be Hagler, Monzon or Greb. Problem is I don't know nearly enough about Monzon or Greb to really make that call.

Comment

Originally posted by BrometheusBob View Post
                      For #1 I pick SRR. #2 is very debatable. Could be Hagler, Monzon or Greb. Problem is I don't know nearly enough about Monzon or Greb to really make that call.
                      There is enough film of Monzon to make a fair determination. Not so with Greb. Though his whole career is not documented celluoid-wise, if every fighter in history somehow had as much film of him in action as Monzon has, we would be way ahead of this danged guessing game.

Comment

Working...
                      X