No announcement yet.

Rocky Marciano vs. Sugar Ray Robinson.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by juggernaut666 View Post
    His record clearly has him as 14 fights in as a pro as "MIDDLEWEIGHT" which is 154 /160 in his era ,doesnt anyone actually look thhis stuff up before posting ? I never said anything about any other weight class as he was at one time the "MIDDLEWEIGHT" champ in his era.
    As far as Marciano goes he was in an era of small heavyweights being only 5'9 /5'10 and over 200 wouldn't make much sense for him style wise as he was slow footed enough he didnt have great athletism but was a hard worker strong brawling type fighter,his 185 weight was about right ,enough power and endurance for him.
    You typed in Jake fought at light weight maybe that was in error

Comment

Originally posted by joeandthebums View Post
      I have watched the film and read the book.

In regards to what am I trying to change history?
      JOe:
      It was Mark Twain who said:

"Don't try to have a sensible debate with an idiot. They will drag you down and beat you with experience."

Comment

Originally posted by rightsideup View Post
        You typed in Jake fought at light weight maybe that was in error
        Middleweight is 154 /160 in his era ive already pointed that out ,what im reffering to are the few clowns on here who said he never fought at 155 specifically Corso and joseph,when he moved up in weight again it was then and only then he was close to the 175 mark.How anyone can look at his fights with SRR and tell me he was a big guy shows how brainwashed most are with the nostalgia as anyone telling me he was a big guy even at light Heavy tells me they have very limited gym time .The past time guide lines for weight classes closely resembles current amateur boxing standards ..165 pounder would be a middleweight there...I don't really believe for a second Lamotta was a big Light Heavy weight how could you?Its a joke trying to sell him as some monster who would run over guys like Floyd/Pacman and so forth....his record clearly shows he is a small weight fighter as he had very little success outside of his middle weight class as a pro,which he probably did weigh a bit over 160 in most in his middleweight bouts.I like Lamotta but really he wouldn't last long with the likes of Marciano.I would certainly put money on Floyd to beat him and certainly to beat him at 155 pounds,thats a believable fight,Marciano not so much at any weight Lamotta would weigh in at.
        Last edited by juggernaut666; 05-25-2015, 09:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by billeau2 View Post
          JOe:

"Don't try to have a sensible debate with an idiot. They will drag you down and beat you with experience."
          Which is why i got bored schooling you as well,the idiot himself who once again jumps into a convo without knowing what its about ,you trully are a ...... Lucky for you certain ones proceed you. as i cant really call you the dumbest i would say you're a smart dummy.or the smartest dummy either one works ...
          Last edited by juggernaut666; 05-25-2015, 08:03 PM.

Comment

Middleweight is 154 /160 in his era ive already pointed that out ,what im reffering to are the few clowns on here who said he never fought at 155 specifically Corso and joseph,when he moved up in weight again it was then and only then he was close to the 175 mark.How anyone can look at his fights with SRR and tell me he was a big guy shows how brainwashed most are with the nostalgia as anyone telling me he was a big guy even at light Heavy tells me they have very limited gym time .The past time guide lines for weight classes closely resembles current amateur boxing standards ..165 pounder would be a middleweight there...I don't really believe for a second Lamotta was a big Light Heavy weight how could you?Its a joke trying to sell him as some monster who would run over guys like Floyd/Pacman and so forth....his record clearly shows he is a small weight fighter as he had very little success outside of his middle weight class as a pro,which he probably did weigh a bit over 160 in most in his middleweight bouts.I like Lamotta but really he wouldn't last long with the likes of Marciano.I would certainly put money on Floyd to beat him and certainly to beat him at 155 pounds,thats a believable fight,Marciano not so much at any weight Lamotta would weigh in at.
            LOL what the **** did i just read

Comment

Originally posted by joseph5620 View Post
              No. Marciano trained down to 185. No way in hell could he have made 175 let alone 168. Ridiculous.
              Lol I'm sorry but yes he could have made 175. Of course he would have done lots of cardio and eaten well to get to 185, but theres no way he would have dehydrated to make that weight, that makes no sense at all.

Its absolutely possible that he could have dried out 10lbs and rehydrated, with day before weigh ins.

Comment

Originally posted by them_apples View Post
                you honestly believe that? he was nearly 6 ft. They still cut mad weight back then. second day weigh ins are for health reasons. He was making 147 in his early 20's. plenty of fighters now could make lighter weight classes if they didn't eat so much and lift so much. Canelo for example.

If anything they would just weigh more now a days. Ray had huge fists and a big head. I know you rag on me for being a young guy who raves about older fighters, but you really don't give them any credit.
                They didn't cut "mad weight" back then. They dried out a little but nothing like how they do today. Canelo is built like a brick ****house. He isn't lifting and eating his way up the weights, its his body maturing.

I rate Ray Robinson as the greatest fighter ever, resume and ability wise, he would cut a swathe through todays WW division but to say he couldn't make 135 or 140 at any point of his career is just silly.

and sorry about the other thread i troll a bit on here and take cheap shots sometimes. nothing personal.

Comment

It is on record he fought at light weight
                  Please provide evidence to support this statement.

I see what the confusion is in lamottas day Middleweight was 154 to 160 ...
                  Middleweight range has not changed during time period - 148lbs to 160lbs.

So no link to the video footage of LaMotta being introduced as 155 then?

His record clearly has him as 14 fights in as a pro as "MIDDLEWEIGHT" doesnt anyone actually look thhis stuff up before posting ?
                  I'm still not sure where your figures are coming from, you are now saying not his first 14 fights but throughout his career he came in under 160lbs?

That is still incorrect as the total amount was 19 times.

Originally posted by billeau2 View Post
                  JOe:

I hope to maintain my manner of posting regardless of the repetition nature of the discussion, but appreciate the quote.

Middleweight is 154 /160 in his era ive already pointed that out ,what im reffering to are the few clowns on here who said he never fought at 155 specifically Corso and joseph,when he moved up in weight again it was then and only then he was close to the 175 mark.
                  A quick look at LaMotta's record shows that he never fought specifically at 155lbs, though you originally mentioned that particular weight with regards to the first Robinson fight and have now altered the point.

LaMotta only once went under the 155lbs mark, in 1947 against Tony Janiro he came in at 154½lbs and the only time he registered specifically at your number was against Fritzie Zivic in 1943 and your still half a pound out with 155½lbs.

To support your argument please provide the link to this footage on youtube in which the announcer informs the crowd that LaMotta weighs 155lbs.

How anyone can look at his fights with SRR
                  How many of these contests have you seen footage?

Comment

Absolutely not, he'd get sparked.

Comment

Which is why i got bored schooling you as well,the idiot himself who once again jumps into a convo without knowing what its about ,you trully are a ...... Lucky for you certain ones proceed you. as i cant really call you the dumbest i would say you're a smart dummy.or the smartest dummy either one works ...
                      Its amazing how you assumed I was referring to you! Is this the way you see yourself? as an idiot? I guess so. Good guess, good logical deduction Juggy....score 1!

Comment

Working...
                      X