Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who is the most popular boxer in the history of boxing?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ali and tyson

Comment

Honestly, I really don't think any active fighter- including Mayweather and Pacquiao- is truly a "household name". Boxing fans obviously know the current crop of fighters and sports fans in general know the big names, but if you asked the average housewife to name a current world champion, I'm not sure you'd get an answer.

In decades past, even people who didn't care a lick about sports knew who Muhammad Ali, Jack Dempsey, and Joe Louis were. Same goes for Sugar Ray Leonard.

Comment

Originally posted by SBleeder View Post
        Honestly, I really don't think any active fighter- including Mayweather and Pacquiao- is truly a "household name". Boxing fans obviously know the current crop of fighters and sports fans in general know the big names, but if you asked the average housewife to name a current world champion, I'm not sure you'd get an answer.

In decades past, even people who didn't care a lick about sports knew who Muhammad Ali, Jack Dempsey, and Joe Louis were. Same goes for Sugar Ray Leonard.
        Completely agree and I hate that about boxing, as that says a lot about what it's become. I miss having names everyone knew in the sport.
        Last edited by Anthony342; 03-05-2014, 05:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SBleeder View Post

Maybe I ask the wrong random people time and time and time and time and time again but I ALWAYS... every single time get the names of Ali, Tyson, Mayweather and/or Pacquaio out of people when I ask to name a boxer(s).

Comment

Ali or Tyson and i think Tyson by far exceeded ALI ,from video games to cartoons hes still getting more popular ,than even current champions who are active.

Comment

Muhammad Ali

Comment

The most popular boxer ever was a guy not many people heard of when he was alive, and even fewer since he died. He remains popular to this day.

Comment

Originally posted by BennyST View Post
                  Ali, Jack Dempsey, Louis, Tyson...I don't think you could say one with any degree of certainty, but it was just a different era back then. Boxing was the king of all sports and the heavyweight champ the king of them all. As it used to be the world would stop for the big fights and it was just a general part of daily/weekly life. Now it's a small niche sport that occasionally gets watched on PPV by the fans that are left...which are still plentiful, just not nearly what it was.
                  Ali, then Tyson, then Louis, then? lots of even playing fields here.

Ali for sure number 1 though

Comment

Oscar in recent years as shown by his PPV success.

Older fighters, I guess Robinson and Louis.

Comment

Most popular, Ali
                      Most polarizing, Tyson

Comment

Working...
                      X