Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who is the most popular boxer in the history of boxing?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I understand the impulse to say Ali, who is probably the most well known boxer of all time - but to say he's the most popular wouldn't be accurate. Remember, this was a man who refused to join the American military when his number was called, he was very involved with the Nation of Islam and Elijah Muhammad, and he was a target of the Minaret operation of the NSA. He was not trusted by a large portion of America.

Now, I would argue he was the most influential, and probably the most recognizable athlete of this day - or even the whole of the previous century. He also obviously carried a huge fanbase with him, however for every cheer he received, there was heavy criticism and outright hatred for the man. So I just don't think "popular" is the right term (assuming this is based on popularity in their prime vs currently).

My personal vote would go to Joe Louis. After the second Schmeling fight, he was beloved in America. Remember this was the 1940's, a time where being a black man was a dehumanizing burden in the USA - but he was a national hero, even to white America. Plus in the 30's and 40's, the only two sports that truly mattered in America were baseball and boxing - and boxing was hugely popular throughout Europe, South America, as well as a few other pockets around the globe. Add to that he rushes out to enlist in the Army after Pearl Harbor, saying things like "We'll win, because we're on God's side."

Now obviously this is based on nothing more than my knowledge of boxing history. I wasn't alive so I don't have first hand accounts of either Louis or Ali's popularity or influence. In my lifetime, Mike Tyson is easily the most popular fighter (and my first childhood hero). So take everything I've said with a grain of salt, knowing it's an interpretation of things I've read or seen after the fact.

Comment

ali, louis, dempsey, tyson.

they all enjoyed a different kind of popularity.

anybody see a theme? chicks dig the long ball.

Comment

Working...
      X