No announcement yet.

Top 10 p4p hardest hitters of all time?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Humean View Post
    Sorry I didn't realize you had to knock out someone with a great name to have had power. I forgot the strength of punching power was measured by the greatness of the opponent knocked out...
    It's easy to knock out a bunch of chinless bums out, that's not a display of all time great punching power. Valero couldn't dent the chin of punchbg Demarco (his toughest opponent), it's laughable to put him in the discussion.

Comment

Originally posted by RubenSonny View Post
      It's easy to knock out a bunch of chinless bums out, that's not a display of all time great punching power. Valero couldn't dent the chin of punchbg Demarco (his toughest opponent), it's laughable to put him in the discussion.
      Yeah Valero doesn't deserve a thought, I mean he only knocked out all 27 of his 27 opponents, 19 of them in the first round. I mean that is easy, everyone does that. If only he knocked out someone you deem worthy because then we/I could have your blessing to say he had great power...Until then we will just have to assume that all his opponents were slipping upon the canvas.
      Last edited by Humean; 12-28-2013, 05:47 PM.

Comment

...The way Duran's power carried up in weight was pretty remarkable...
        If one has "hands of stone," they don't turn to clay by moving up in weight.

Duh...

Comment

Yeah Valero doesn't deserve a thought, I mean he only knocked out all 27 of his 27 opponents, 19 of them in the first round. I mean that is easy, everyone does that. If only he knocked out someone you deem worthy because then we/I could have your blessing to say he had great power...Until then we will just have to assume that all his opponents were slipping upon the canvas.
          Why not throw Ali Raymi in there too? Tyrone Brunson? William Fernando Souza Bezerra?

Comment

Anyone remember when Floyd dismantled one of the hardest punchers ever in Phillip Ndou?

Comment

Off the top of my head, I'll say Benn, Tyson, Foreman, Vitali, Dempsey, Hearns, Jackson, also throw in Chavez and Barrera, as they were known to commit to every shot.

Comment

Why not throw Ali Raymi in there too? Tyrone Brunson? William Fernando Souza Bezerra?
                Anyone remember when Floyd dismantled one of the hardest punchers ever in Phillip Ndou?
                Well spotted because they had 7 world title knockout wins in two weight classes didn't they? It is worrying that you think these examples are comparable.

At what point in Wilfredo Gomez's or Carlos Zarate's career did you/would you have said "Ok I'm convinced he punches hard"? Anyone who scores streams of knockouts, particularly in the first round, punches hard and that includes your examples. To be considered one of the biggest punchers in history they don't need to have knocked out big names or guys with known iron chins, at least in part because power is also a conduit of skill and timing. Valero proved from his very first fight against a bum to his last against a future world champion that he punched very hard, nevermind the testimony of a number of professional fighters who sparred with him. All of this is so obvious that it is a travesty that it needs spelling out to you. I suppose you are the sort of guy who looks out the window and sees water falling from the sky but are only convinced that it is raining when the weatherman says so.

On a side note have you found the source of your often repeated claim about the greater number of fighters in the past compared to today?

Comment

Well spotted because they had 7 world title knockout wins in two weight classes didn't they? It is worrying that you think these examples are comparable.
                  The whole point is that opposition comes into play, funny how you use this as a distinction now when you scoffed at the idea in your previous posts. Also what difference does having seven world title fights? It rarely indicates the quality or chin of opposition, nor does it hold anything over non-title fights.

At what point in Wilfredo Gomez's or Carlos Zarate's career did you/would you have said "Ok I'm convinced he punches hard"? Anyone who scores streams of knockouts, particularly in the first round, punches hard and that includes your examples.
                  They had to prove it, if anyone had called them some of the greatest punchers of all time after their first 10 fights they would be laughed at and rightly so, some random prospect that had knocked out a bunch of bums might be one of the greatest punchers ever right now, it doesnt mean someone should mention them in this thread based on the possibility rather having them proved it. What's to stop the guys I have mentioned from being all time great punchers, other than the fact that they haven't proved it.

To be considered one of the biggest punchers in history they don't need to have knocked out big names or guys with known iron chins, at least in part because power is also a conduit of skill and timing. Valero proved from his very first fight against a bum to his last against a future world champion that he punched very hard, nevermind the testimony of a number of professional fighters who sparred with him. All of this is so obvious that it is a travesty that it needs spelling out to you. I suppose you are the sort of guy who looks out the window and sees water falling from the sky but are only convinced that it is raining when the weatherman says so.
                  To be considered one of the biggest punchers in history you need to prove it, a sparring partner saying he punched hard doesn't mean he is an ATG puncher at all.

On a side note have you found the source of your often repeated claim about the greater number of fighters in the past compared to today?
                  It's very easy to find and it's very well known, you either haven't looked or you are pretending you haven't seen it.

Comment

Off the top of my head, and in some sort of rank

1. george foreman
                    2. tyson
                    3. hearns
                    4. manny
                    5. shavers
                    6. lennox
                    7. zarate
                    8. trinidad
                    9. klitchko
                    10. Gomez

Comment

I think saying Valero is one of the hardest punchers ever has very little basis.

Surely you have to hurt someone with a good chin before being in this discussion?

The most durable person Valero hurt was DeMarco and it's not even as if he blasted him out either.

Comment

Working...
                      X