No announcement yet.

Why the silence during Chavez-Taylor 1?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rockin' View Post

A self proclaimed "hall of famer"? You joined in Nov 2018.... You must be the younger, yet identical, brother of Vasiliy Lomachenko

..............Rockin'

I inducted myself on merit, Rockin. I just strongly felt that I had done enough. Nash out.

Comment

Originally posted by Nash out View Post

I inducted myself on merit, Rockin. I just strongly felt that I had done enough. Nash out.
      Is that merit earned in the ring or on the keyboard? ...........Rockin

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Bolt View Post
        I can't answer your questions, just saying that being a follower of proboxing for nearly 40 years now, this is my no. 1 encounter.

Did Richard Steele right to stop the fight?
        No, Taylor deserved that victory.
        Or, based on the medical examinations of Taylor afterwards?
        Yes, he did.
        Taylor won that fight… he got busted up bad… that fight is filled with controversy…

im old, was in japan watching that war…

meldrick was never the same…

macho Camacho had flash but slapping punches might be cool in olympics

but bomb on any opponent..

one of my favorite fights was marvelous Marvin Hagler vs minter…

when hagler was smashing minter,,, Brit **** heads threw bottles into the ring

Comment

Re you original question back in 2013 . . .

Silence: All night long HBO was verbally setting up the Taylor win becuse they wanted to deal longterm with the Duvas (promoter Dan and dad Lou who was also handling Sweet Pea) and not Don King who of course had Chavez tied up contractly. Thus when it became apparent that Taylor was such a beaten fighter they had much egg on their faces and since these were men of little character silence was all they could muster.

I had a copy (VHS) of the network rebroadcast of the fight. Those commentators (Dan Dierdorf and another) acted in the appropriate manner to the knock down, with the excitement you would expect. Calling it a great comeback and such, but of course they could do that becuse their commentary had been balanced throughout the fight.

It is really quite interesting to juxtapose the two commentaries against each other. You would think you were watching two completely different fights.

RE: The stoppage . . . I have said before Taylor never takes his hand off the rope, he needed to hold on to it becuse he never actually regained his balance, he was still on q-ueer street when Steele tried to get him to answer. It wasn't Duva's fault for jumping on the apron, Taylor couldn't focus anyway or regain his balance - he was TKOed.

RE: The two seconds:

1. A referee should never make any decision about a fight based on who he thinks is winning. It is not his place to have such an opinion and should always treat both fighters equally bell to bell. (This is the reason why State commissions stopped having referees score fights.)

2. To those who say there were only two seconds left, I ask - what arbitrary number do they assign to when Steele should have stopped the fight: four seconds left; ten seconds left; 30 seconds left? To make the two second argument is an absurd argument; if we are going to have such a condition then it needs to be codified. Of course it is codified, the round (the fight) ends when the bell rings, not two seconds before. It is a stupid argument to make.

But to repeat myself, Taylor couldn't let go of the rope he couldn't find his balance, he was KOed. Technically speaking if he is still holding onto the rope he never 'got up.'
          Last edited by Willie Pep 229; 10-18-2021, 12:43 AM.
          JAB5239 JAB5239 likes this.

Comment

- -Pep, I don't recall Taylor ever saying a single word much less go through the hands up motions to indicate he's ready to fight.

Lewis managed to beat the McCall count and promptly put his hands up with a funny look on his face to lurch his 250 lbs into the ref, a clear indication his balance was not yet restored, a fight Lewis fans like to rag about.

Comment

The commentators were rooting for Taylor the American gold medalist and when they seen he was very hurt and out on his feet they were in awe and speechless then baaaaamm the right hand puts him down.

Comment

Is that merit earned in the ring or on the keyboard? ...........Rockin
                Keyboard excellence. I just couldn't ignore myself. Nash out.

Comment

Originally posted by Nash out View Post

Keyboard excellence. I just couldn't ignore myself. Nash out.
                  No fights? A Monday morning Quaterback?

Do they have any openings on these Kansas Bowling Leagues? I'd roll my balls down those alleys. ............Rockin'
                  Last edited by Rockin'; 10-18-2021, 12:12 PM.

Comment

I now feel it was a good stoppage because if Meldrick Taylor was not responding to referee Richard Steele, then Steele really had no choice but to stop the fight. It Taylor nods and walks forward, the fight probably continues, the bell rings and Taylor wins a split decision that should've been unanimous. Judges were biased for Chavez back then though. Whitaker was given a draw and Frankie Randall 1 was scored a lot closer than it should've been. Shouldn't have taken two low blows and a knockdown for Randall to win that fight.

Gotta agree on the shock and awe thing too, maybe not because of commentators wanting Taylor to win, but possibly thinking he was going to win and coming so close. Lampley seems to come out of it first after the stoppage saying you're going to see an angry Lou Duva.
                    Last edited by Anthony342; 10-19-2021, 12:33 PM.

Comment

No fights? A Monday morning Quaterback?

Do they have any openings on these Kansas Bowling Leagues? I'd roll my balls down those alleys. ............Rockin'
                      To be fair to myself, I'm a bit more than a Monday morning Quarterback. I have posted some great predictions/bets on here before the fights have happened. I would too. She has a sister called Parker Love Bowling as well, which I think is an awesome name. Nash out.

Comment

Working...
                      X