Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who had the strongest Chin of all time whos number 1?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ali was stopped once......when Dundee threw in the towel at the Holmes fight. He "technically" didn't get "stopped". But, Dundee did the right thing, no doubt.

Foreman had a great chin as well. Ali stopped him from exhaustion.

Holyfield was practically KTFO'd against Riddick Bowe in the third fight. Only that massive heart of his got him off the canvas after he ran into Bowe's side-armed right hand.

Chuvalo and Cobb I'd put in the same category: both tough s.o.b.'s.

I cannot argue with Ray Corso (not that I would anyway....he'd kick my ass) on Ray Robinson. Man fought 'till he was 45 years old and the only stoppage on his leaguer was Joey Maxim and 120 Degrees Fahrenheit lights.....and he was giving Joey a boxing lesson! Say it now and repeat it every night before you go to bed: "SUGAR RAY ROBINSON WAS THE PERFECT FIGHTING MACHINE.".....bar freakin' none.

For me, the all time "Chin Award" in heavyweight, from what I've seen, goes to Ray Mercer. That man could get hit with a damn baseball bat and still come at you. The only time close to his "prime" that I saw him stunned was against a come-backing Holyfield.

Side Note: Mercer, Chuvalo, and Cobb should have their chins donated to science when they die to find out what the hell was in them.

Comment

A baseball bat huh? What if they took chair shots to the head, like all those crazy pro wrestlers have been doing regularly since the '90s?

Comment

Originally posted by Anthony342 View Post
        A baseball bat huh? What if they took chair shots to the head, like all those crazy pro wrestlers have been doing regularly since the '90s?
        lol You'd piss 'em off.

Comment

Hard to be 100% sure, but here is my list.

1) Jake la Motta
          He took Sugar Ray Robinson's best shots for six fights, in the Saint Valentine's Day Massacre he took a -horrible- beating but didn't go down. I think he was only knocked at the very end of his carreer (I don't count the fixed fight).

2) Marvin Hagler
          Took shots from Tommy Hearns, Roberto Duran, John Mugabi, In 68 bouts was hardly ever wobbled

3) George Chuvalo

Other honorable mentions:

Chavez Sr, Carmen Basilio, Ali, Sugar Ray Robinson, Toney.

Comment

Monzon needs to be mentioned in this conversation.

Also Juan Laporte. Fought some huge punchers and was never stopped.

Comment

Originally posted by B-Bomber View Post
              Hard to be 100% sure, but here is my list.

1) Jake la Motta
              He took Sugar Ray Robinson's best shots for six fights, in the Saint Valentine's Day Massacre he took a -horrible- beating but didn't go down. I think he was only knocked at the very end of his carreer (I don't count the fixed fight).

2) Marvin Hagler
              Took shots from Tommy Hearns, Roberto Duran, John Mugabi, In 68 bouts was hardly ever wobbled

3) George Chuvalo

Other honorable mentions:

Chavez Sr, Carmen Basilio, Ali, Sugar Ray Robinson, Toney.
              Oh yeah, Chavez. I was in middle to high school when he was active and Chavez was always one of my favorites. I believe he was only knocked down once right? The first Frankie Randall fight?

Comment

Originally posted by Anthony342 View Post
                Oh yeah, Chavez. I was in middle to high school when he was active and Chavez was always one of my favorites. I believe he was only knocked down once right? The first Frankie Randall fight?
                He was also knocked down by Kosta Tszyu. But of course, he was well past his prime as was Ali against Holmes. I don't use fights like those when determining how well a fighter can take a punch.

Comment

Originally posted by Cardinal Buck View Post
                  Oscar De La Hoya was pretty damn solid. He'd go down, but wouldn't get hurt very badly.
                  Good Point! I agree!! Honerable mention to the "Matador" Mayorga who may have gone down but was never disparaged from making the same personal attacks on his opponents prefight.

Comment

Carmen Basilio had a great chin to.

Does anybody know how many times he was knocked down? Ive seen some of his fights and he took some bombs and didn't go down. Like the Tony DeMarco fight.

Comment

Originally posted by SouthPawHitman View Post
                      Carmen Basilio had a great chin to.

Does anybody know how many times he was knocked down? Ive seen some of his fights and he took some bombs and didn't go down. Like the Tony DeMarco fight.
                      I am fairly sure he was only knocked down once, by a guy named Jerry Drain. Basilio was knocked down in the first, but floored Drain twice in the same round and won by TKO in 3 rounds.

He was stopped on cuts twice, by Gene Fullmer, but never knocked down or out in these fights.

When the second fight was stopped, Basilio didn't take it too well...

When the referee intervened Basilio screamed, 'What do you mean? What are you talking about?' Then ****ing his fist, he said to the referee, 'I'll give you one.' Two policeman entered the ring and led Basilio to his corner still protesting."

New York Times

Comment

Working...
                      X