Collapse
No announcement yet.

Floyd is P4P #2 ever after SRR?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mayweather may just beat those guys anyway, but he would be given a lot more credit and respect for beating them at their best. Resume and greatness is not just about who you beat but WHEN you beat them. That's why Larry Holmes got little credit for beating Ali or Cooney for beating Norton because they were past their prime. De La Hoya had what, one more fight after Floyd? For a guy that cares so much about legacy, he repeatedly overlooks that part (fighting the best at their best) of it and concentrates simply on the least risk and preserving his 0.

Comment

• Originally posted by Anthony342 View Post
      Mayweather may just beat those guys anyway, but he would be given a lot more credit and respect for beating them at their best. Resume and greatness is not just about who you beat but WHEN you beat them. That's why Larry Holmes got little credit for beating Ali or Cooney for beating Norton because they were past their prime. De La Hoya had what, one more fight after Floyd? For a guy that cares so much about legacy, he repeatedly overlooks that part (fighting the best at their best) of it and concentrates simply on the least risk and preserving his 0.
      How was Canelo not a threat? It's funny how that fight is forgotten already. It was the same thing with Mosley.You talk as if Mayweather's legacy revolves around Delahoya.

You also can't seriously throw 38 year-old Ali in there or the Norton who fought Cooney as If Mayweather is fighting similar opposition. In most situations now, Mayweather is the older fighter.
      Last edited by joseph5620; 11-15-2013, 12:29 AM.

Comment

• He was until........

[B][FONT="Century Gothic"][SIZE="3"][COLOR="Blue"]"How was Canelo not a threat?"

Canelo stop being a threat the day he agreed to the catch-weight. If you know about the Science of boxing, you know what I am saying here. Canelo was already a BIG super welterweight. Asking him to weigh in at 152lbs, was a cowardly move by the supposet greatest fighter to ever lace up gloves. Was it Canelo's own fault? Yes, BUT he took the fight to be great, because that's what the REAL fighters do. Floyd knew Canelo would be drained because he said it himself. Call a situation for what it really is, and not what a fighter or network says. He has the boxing public fooled, but not real boxing fans. Why didn't he fight him at 154lb with a clause that said Canelo couldn't rehydrate passed a certain weight? If he was as smart as he thinks, that's what he would have done. That way, no one questions if the catch-weight affected the kid or not. As soon as Canelo made the walk to the stage at the weigh-in, he sat down and asked for water. Smh. Floyd is a bit over-rated and we don't know how good he is because he doesn't challenge himself against the very best.

Comment

• Originally posted by fight_professor View Post
          Seriously, I have started to think this. He is too slick, too sharp. Defensively he is too advanced, few could seriously get telling attacks off on him.

He is p4p top 10 for sure for my coin.

lol,,if he fought in tougher eras,,such as the leonard/duran/hagler/hearns era hed be lucky to even be a top 10 fighter let alone atg p4p. youre so overrating him its laughable. even prime dlh and mosely would have beaten him. thats obvious enough as he struggled somewhat with there ghosts

Comment

• I would hard pressed to have Floyd in my top twenty all time

Comment

• Originally posted by Starof David View Post
              I would hard pressed to have Floyd in my top twenty all time
              He probably wouldn't make my top twenty either. But the way so many boxing fans downplay his accomplishments and skill has gotten ridiculous.

I've watched enough boxing in my lifetime to know that he is a great fighter and one of the most skilled I've every seen.

I don't rate him over people like Robinson or Leonard because they have better fighters on their resume. I think people who do that are equally ridiculous.

But downplaying Mayweathers accomplishments and skills has become more of a case of personal dislike for a lot of people rather than facts.

Comment

• Originally posted by joseph5620 View Post
                He probably wouldn't make my top twenty either. But the way so many boxing fans downplay his accomplishments and skill has gotten ridiculous.

I've watched enough boxing in my lifetime to know that he is a great fighter and one of the most skilled I've every seen.

I don't rate him over people like Robinson or Leonard because they have better fighters on their resume. I think people who do that are equally ridiculous.

But downplaying Mayweathers accomplishments and skills has become more of a case of personal dislike for a lot of people rather than facts.
                yea,,,I must admit I do tend to underrate him some due to some of his crazy fans. hes definitely great,,,but I cant see anyway in hell that hed have beaten some of the other all time greats such as srl... srr or even hagler,,,duran and hearns like some claim. those guys were absolute beasts. I do appreciate his talent tho. just wish he could have fought guys like dlh and mosely when they were in there prime then we'd know just how great he really is. I was impressed with the way he dominated canelo at his age. that fight probably impressed me more than any of his other wins

Comment

How was Canelo not a threat? It's funny how that fight is forgotten already. It was the same thing with Mosley.You talk as if Mayweather's legacy revolves around Delahoya.

You also can't seriously throw 38 year-old Ali in there or the Norton who fought Cooney as If Mayweather is fighting similar opposition. In most situations now, Mayweather is the older fighter.
                  canelo was never very good,,, he couldnt even look impressive unless it was a blown up jr welter,,,,
                  Boxing is just so devoid of talent these days, that if you popular and hyped people think your a great fighter,,,

fernando vargas was a much better fighter than canelo, both won belts early and both were hyped by promoters,, but vargas would be destroying guys like hatton, rhodes, old shane, etc....

Canelo was never very good,, he is a decent fighter, but over the next few years people will realize that this kid was not as great as everyone thinks now, i honestly think he is just like lucian bute,,

I wanna see floyd fight top guys like bradley, manny, garcia, etc,,,

Floyd has amazing skill,, but anyone can look amazing with the right match making,,,,
                  Everytime floyd has stepped up vs guys that were elite level, he has never looked dominant vs jlc, hatton, oscar, cotto, etc,,,,, and if you notice he times his fights perfect,,, faded names coming off a big win ala gatti, cotto, shane, or never has-beens coming off big wins like baldomir, ortiz, ghost,,

if floyd had fought oscar's schedule of opponents, floyd would have some defeats and no one would be talking all this ATG talk,, he is basically a watered down version of sweet pea,,, sweet pea at least took all the big fights vs prime guys and we know how good sweet pea is,, floyd looks the part but we will never know because he skipped the challenges and big fights in his career ala a roy jones

Comment

• Originally posted by Sugar Adam Ali View Post
                    canelo was never very good,,, he couldnt even look impressive unless it was a blown up jr welter,,,,
                    Boxing is just so devoid of talent these days, that if you popular and hyped people think your a great fighter,,,

fernando vargas was a much better fighter than canelo, both won belts early and both were hyped by promoters,, but vargas would be destroying guys like hatton, rhodes, old shane, etc....

Canelo was never very good,, he is a decent fighter, but over the next few years people will realize that this kid was not as great as everyone thinks now, i honestly think he is just like lucian bute,,

I wanna see floyd fight top guys like bradley, manny, garcia, etc,,,

Floyd has amazing skill,, but anyone can look amazing with the right match making,,,,
                    Everytime floyd has stepped up vs guys that were elite level, he has never looked dominant vs jlc, hatton, oscar, cotto, etc,,,,, and if you notice he times his fights perfect,,, faded names coming off a big win ala gatti, cotto, shane, or never has-beens coming off big wins like baldomir, ortiz, ghost,,

if floyd had fought oscar's schedule of opponents, floyd would have some defeats and no one would be talking all this ATG talk,, he is basically a watered down version of sweet pea,,, sweet pea at least took all the big fights vs prime guys and we know how good sweet pea is,, floyd looks the part but we will never know because he skipped the challenges and big fights in his career ala a roy jones

Sorry, but Canelo is good. Fast hands, power, solid defense and he's only 23. You can downplay it all you want now but this was seen as a competitive fight by most people who follow boxing. The same way the Mosley fight was. That's a fact.

But Mayweather's opponents always become mediocre bums after he beats them. Both Ortiz and Gurrerro were credible opponent's.

It's easy to try to change history after the fact, but it doesn't change what happened before the fight.

Also, Garcia's father has openly said he does not want a Mayweather fight right now. He doesn't think they are ready. Why would he not be ready now? It's not the weight.

Gatti was coming off a big KO win over Leonard Dorin and showed no signs of being faded or shot. He was dominated by Mayweather because they are two different class of fighters.

Oscar fought his share of faded fighters too. Camacho, Whitaker, Quartey coming off an almost two year lay off from an unimpressive performance. David Kamau? I can do the same thing with any fighters resume and definitely with Oscar.

Mayweather clearly beat Oscar, Cotto, Hatton and Jose Luis Castillo in an instant rematch that he didn't duck. So I don't understand how you can say he didn't win convincingly in any of those fights.
                    Last edited by joseph5620; 11-15-2013, 02:17 PM.

Comment

Sorry, but Canelo is good. Fast hands, power, solid defense and he's only 23. You can downplay it all you want now but this was seen as a competitive fight by most people who follow boxing. The same way the Mosley fight was. That's a fact.

But Mayweather's opponents always become mediocre bums after he beats them. Both Ortiz and Gurrerro were credible opponent's.

It's easy to try to change history after the fact, but it doesn't change what happened before the fight.

Also, Garcia's father has openly said he does not want a Mayweather fight right now. He doesn't think they are ready. Why would he not be ready now? It's not the weight.

Gatti was coming off a big KO win over Leonard Dorin and showed no signs of being faded or shot. He was dominated by Mayweather because they are two different class of fighters.

Oscar fought his share of faded fighters too. Camacho, Whitaker, Quartey coming off an almost two year lay off from an unimpressive performance. David Kamau? I can do the same thing with any fighters resume and definitely with Oscar.
                      canelo is not very good, and neither was a 40 year old shane off a 16 month layoff,,, maybe to the casual fan, they posed a threat,, but to anyone that can handicap a fight, these were easy pickings for floyd

Gatti is an action fighter,, he ko'd dorin,, big deal,, he didnt deserve to be headlining a ppv vs a top p4p guy like floyd,,, no one gave gatti any chance, hell he was a punching bag for nearly every fighter he fought, I cant say that beating gatti is a great win for someone like floyd...

yes oscar fought some faded fighters, but he also fought a ton of prime fighter as well,,,
                      pernell was #2 p4p behind roy jones when oscar fought him and pernell was the lineal welter champ
                      ike quartey was still an undefeated champ that none of the big names wanted to fight,,
                      plus oscar fought a prime leija, ruelas, molina, shane, tito, vargas, hopkins, floyd, sturm, and manny.....

Oscar's period from 99-2000 he fought bigger fights than in floyd's whole career,,,

explain to me again what big fights that floyd has that can compare to pernell, ike, tito, shane twice, vargas, hopkins, sturm, floyd and manny,,, what does floyd have corrales, jlc, hatton,,,,,,,

face it,, floyd's resume sucks compared to other great fighters

Comment

Working...
                      X