top 10 pound for pound most devastating punchers

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DarkTerror88 View Post
    Not hardest hitters necessarily.
    Jose Luis Lopez was a very hard puncher at 147. But he was also one dimensional .

Comment

Originally posted by NChristo View Post
      Not in order, didn't want too include Heavyweights really.

Tommy Hearns
      Julian Jackson
      Gerald McClellan
      Archie Moore
      Bob Foster
      Alfonso Zamora
      Pipino Cuevas
      Michael Spinks
      Alexis Arguello
      Carlos Zarate

Harder then I thought it was going too be, still missed out Wilde, Ketchel, Saddler, Langford etc, ask me in half hour and it'd be completely different.

His power exceed that of a human, it would be an insult to compare him too such inferior boxers so I left him off. The only other man on that level is the one and only Charlie Zelenoff.
      That's a nice Avatar.

Comment

Now, since you distinguish between hardest hitting and most devastating, I would be hard pressed to put anyone ahead of Joe Louis.

Guys have hit harder, pound for pound, but not with the same consistency, accuracy, speed, set-up and suddeness which I think is almost unique to him.
        Last edited by Capaedia; 12-14-2011, 03:26 AM.

Comment

Tommy Hearns.
          Bob Foster.
          Mike Tyson.
          Gerald McClellan.
          Julian Jackson.
          Sandy Saddler.
          Alexis Arguello.
          Antonio Esparragoza.
          Ricardo Moreno.
          Prince Naseem.

Honourable mentions... Arron Pryor, John Mugabi, Joe Louis, Felix Trinidad, Archie Moore, Alfonso Zamora.

Comment

Originally posted by Capaedia View Post
            Now, since you distinguish between hardest hitting and most devastating, I would be hard pressed to put anyone ahead of Joe Louis.

Guys have hit harder, pound for pound, but not with the same consistency, accuracy, speed, set-up and suddeness which I think is almost unique to him.
            I agree. Julian Jackson is the biggest hitter, lb4lb, I've ever seen. But, Joe Louis is the greatest offensive fighter in history.

Comment

It seems most everybody I would think of for a "top 10 devestating punchers" list has already been mentioned multiple times, so allow me to throw some names out there that I've not seen mentioned yet, to promote discussion.

David Tua
              Wilfredo Gomez
              Max Baer
              Vitali Klitschko
              Frank Bruno
              Sonny Liston
              Khaosai Galaxy
              Matthew Saad Muhammad
              Salvador Sanchez
              Julio Cesar Chavez

Comment

Originally posted by The_Bringer View Post
                It seems most everybody I would think of for a "top 10 devestating punchers" list has already been mentioned multiple times, so allow me to throw some names out there that I've not seen mentioned yet, to promote discussion.

David Tua
                Wilfredo Gomez
                Max Baer
                Vitali Klitschko
                Frank Bruno
                Sonny Liston
                Khaosai Galaxy
                Matthew Saad Muhammad
                Salvador Sanchez
                Julio Cesar Chavez
                Bringer...good stuff.

David Tua- The hardest hitter since Shavers (yes, harder than Tyson....just not nearly as good however)
                Wilfredo Gomez- A complete fighter. Textbook power-puncher. Like Louis- he was an offensive machine
                Max Baer- A naturally thundering hitter with his right hand.
                Vitali Klitschko- Kinda heavy handed and punishing, but not a great puncher
                Frank Bruno- Heavy handed, but his KOs slipped off dramatically when he stepped up in comp
                Sonny Liston- One of the heaviest hitters in history. Every punch was loaded.
                Khaosai Galaxy- Incredible one punch power in his left hand. Could end a fight with one left to the body or head
                Matthew Saad Muhammad- Great right hand, which bailed him out very often. Left hand was pretty damn good, too.....see the left uppercut he took Lotte Mwale out with.
                Salvador Sanchez- Doesn't rate. A decent puncher, but his accuracy and combinations were usually what got him a stoppage
                Julio Cesar Chavez- Master of every punch. Not a one punch guy, but there have been few who could put 'em together like he did, to the body and head. He made most fighters WISH he'd have just numbed them with that one shot earlier on instead of sustaining horrendous beatings.

Comment

Ricardo Lopez - Maybe not one of the greatest punchers in history but a hard hitter.

Khaosai Galaxy - My favourite little fighter. I wish i had the man's shoulders...

Comment

In no order:

Pipino Cuevas
                    Ricardo Lopez
                    Thomas Hearns
                    Wilfredo Gomez
                    Julian Jackson
                    Sonny Liston
                    Sam Langford
                    Archie Moore
                    Jimmy Wilde
                    Joe Louis

Sven Ottke: The hardest puncher on this list. Look at what he did to the iron jawed Anthony Mundine. Devastating.
                    I just assumed that he was a given.

Comment

Originally posted by Cloud View Post
                      Ricardo Lopez - Maybe not one of the greatest punchers in history but a hard hitter.
                      IMO he is one of the greatest punchers of all time. He's on my top 10 list above.

Comment

Working...
                      X