Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

In 1993, was there a bigger fight than Lewis vs Bowe?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sonnyboyx2 View Post
    Vitali had Quit against Byrd and was thought of as the weaker of the two brothers with Lewis boasting," I will have one brother for breakfast and the other brother for Lunch" and saying after Vitali he would fight Wlad

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2.../11/877047.htm
    That's nice Sonny but that really has nothing to do with the topic.

Comment

Originally posted by joseph5620 View Post
      Do you have a link for that? That may or may not be true but I would like to see it. what I DO know is Lewis did not have to fight anybody at all on short notice once Johnson pulled out
      Cant find the link I was looking for. This link below says they persuaded him instead (i.e offered him more money). When I find the link I was looking for I ll let you know
      After HBO sweetened his deal considerably, heavyweight champ Lennox Lewis decided yesterday to make his mandatory World Boxing Council title defense against No. 1 contender Vitali Klitschko at the Staples Center in Los Angeles June 21.

"It was going to be his next fight anyway. He just moved up the schedule," said Gary Shaw, who co-promotes Lewis. "Lennox has trained very hard. He didn't want to do all that hard work in vain. It leaves open the possibility of doing a bigger fight in the future."

That bigger fight could be against WBA champ Roy Jones Jr., who is negotiating to meet former champ Evander Holyfield in November at the Garden.

When Kirk Johnson tore his left pectoral muscle in sparring Wednesday and pulled out of the fight on Friday, Lewis' representatives tried to salvage the show. They zeroed in on Klitschko as the most logical choice. But they had to convince Lewis to take the fight early because the Dec. 6 fight was supposed to be on pay-per-view and his pay would be reduced by fighting Klitschko on HBO.

Ross Greenburg, president of HBO Sports, bumped up Lewis' purse for the fight. "It's the largest rights fee HBO has ever paid for a boxing match," said a member of Lewis' camp, who wouldn't divulge the figure.

Greenburg was on vacation and couldn't be reached for comment.
      http://www.nydailynews.com/archives/...ne_bout_w.html

Comment

I'm sorry you feel I snipe at you Sonny as I generally enjoy your non Lewis posts very much. With Lewis you seem for some reason to lose it and employ double standards. The video is Bowe's version on an incident that he is unfortunately remembered for and I'm sure he regrets. I'm inclined to bear that in mind and take it with a pinch of salt. I know you have me down as a die hard Lewis fan but I'm not I rate him somewhere between 10 and 15 atg which is where I believe you rate him? Only thong I struggle with is how you rate him there, resume wise he never beat anyone hid from such monsters as Herbie Hide and Ruiz. All time there is no one that he could beat, Willard amongst other beat him. So how do you rate him top 15? I only pick you up when you post nonsense which as you are a good poster is rare.
        Re the thread, I am struggling to think of a bigger fight. HW is generally the blue riband event. 2 good fighters unbeaten both coming off good wins. Bit of needle re the olympics, looks an even fight. We can wait 10 years for such a fight at HW so yes it was a potentially big fight.

Comment

I'm sorry you feel I snipe at you Sonny as I generally enjoy your non Lewis posts very much. With Lewis you seem for some reason to lose it and employ double standards. The video is Bowe's version on an incident that he is unfortunately remembered for and I'm sure he regrets. I'm inclined to bear that in mind and take it with a pinch of salt. I know you have me down as a die hard Lewis fan but I'm not I rate him somewhere between 10 and 15 atg which is where I believe you rate him? Only thong I struggle with is how you rate him there, resume wise he never beat anyone hid from such monsters as Herbie Hide and Ruiz. All time there is no one that he could beat, Willard amongst other beat him. So how do you rate him top 15? I only pick you up when you post nonsense which as you are a good poster is rare.
          Re the thread, I am struggling to think of a bigger fight. HW is generally the blue riband event. 2 good fighters unbeaten both coming off good wins. Bit of needle re the olympics, looks an even fight. We can wait 10 years for such a fight at HW so yes it was a potentially big fight.

Comment

That's nice Sonny but that really has nothing to do with the topic.
            it has everything to do with what you claimed which was that "Lewis fought Vitali on short notice. He was NOT forced to do that."

Lewis had already pulled out of fighting Vitali on 8th March 2003 and had been told by the WBC that he had to fight Vitali within 6 months.... so Lewis WAS forced to fight Vitali or would have been stripped of his last remaining belt.

Comment

Originally posted by GJC View Post
              you are and always have been a huge Lewis fan so dont try to hide it GJC... what you cant handle about me when i discuss Lewis is that you know i am correct but cannot find a single link on the entire internet to prove what i have always said as wrong......

Rid**** Bowe was the man who beat the man... Holmes, Ali, Charles, Louis, Foreman and many others had belts taken from them by alphabet organizations but the public still knew that they was the real champion.. so are you saying those champions are also liars

Comment

Originally posted by IronMike* View Post
                Cant find the link I was looking for. This link below says they persuaded him instead (i.e offered him more money). When I find the link I was looking for I ll let you know

http://www.nydailynews.com/archives/...ne_bout_w.html

No problem. Thanks for finding that.

Comment

Originally posted by sonnyboyx2 View Post
                  it has everything to do with what you claimed which was that "Lewis fought Vitali on short notice. He was NOT forced to do that."

Lewis had already pulled out of fighting Vitali on 8th March 2003 and had been told by the WBC that he had to fight Vitali within 6 months.... so Lewis WAS forced to fight Vitali or would have been stripped of his last remaining belt.
                  It doesn't because you're using two completely different time periods to prove your point. The issue was the fight after Johnson pulled out. One doesn't have anything to do with the other. And Lewis would NOT have been stripped if he didn't fight Vitali on 2 weeks notice so you need to stop with that.
                  Last edited by joseph5620; 01-15-2011, 12:47 PM.

Comment

lewis wasnt that good in 93, bowe would have KOd him that year.
                    lewis best year was 2000 imo

Comment

No problem. Thanks for finding that.
                      your welcome

Comment

Working...
                      X